ATV purchase in MN – Paperwork to transfer.

• bigpike

Hey James I know a certain person who has Nipigon coordinates for a rock bar that tops out at 25′. It has 100′-200′ depth all around it with a large “cut” to the west of it that has two good size rivers dumping into it about 7 miles from the cut and after ice out has produced my personal best 33# laker and I have seen camp fish just under 50#. I wouldnt suggest taking your snoopy rod for this place. There are a few nice Pike bays nearby and walleye. The bait fish stack up in this area in the spring, the 33# laker I caught had a 18″ sucker in its gullet. I could see the tail as I was pulling out my lure. We have caught numerous 20# lakers and when we keep one they are just looaded with smelt. I believe the record is 45 smelt in one laker. Drop me a PM for more info

johnee

For those in MN, what’s required as far as paperwork when buying a used ATV in MN? If it matters, this is a 2004 Polaris 500 Sportsman.

1. Is there a title for ATVs? Is for all ATVs or is the answer the dreaded “it depends”?

2. Is there a registration or license that needs to be transferred as well? Are they always licensed or registered or just if the previous owner used it for trail rides, etc, instead of only on private land?

3. Anything else I should be sure to get or do when buying a used one?

I’m trying to avoid hassles and I know from boat buying experience that the previous owners can be very bad with keeping the paperwork straight and knowing what they should have. I had a giant Charlie Foxtrot with a boat I bought and the previous owner insisted there was no title. Surprise, there was a title! And with a security interest listed… What a CF.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

There is a registration card like a boat or sled. Once they give that to you its yours. I don’t recall any other stipulations but others can chime in if I missed something.

johnee

Quote:

There is a registration card like a boat or sled. Once they give that to you its yours. I don’t recall any other stipulations but others can chime in if I missed something.

Is this ALWAYS the case? Do all ATVs need to be registered in MN, or only the ones used on public roads, trails, etc?

There’s no title for an ATV?

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I guess I don’t know for sure. Every sled and quad I have had was registered.

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

They will have a card/sticky back Like a fishing license from the DMV/DNR. On the top will say ” ATV Class 1 Vehicle Registration” Under his/her signature there is:

line #3
    3. For transfer of license, the buyer must submit an application/bill of sale with the transfer fee within 15 days. (available at Deputy Registrar Offices)

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

Also… don’t even think about NOT registering the quad…. It will only end up as trouble down the road…..

johnee

OK, so there’s a registration. Is this a DMV or a MN DNR registration?

But no title?

Hate to be a stickler about this, but I’ve learned the hard way that most sellers are NOT reliable when it comes to knowing what paperwork is required and they think there is an easy way around anything buy just writing out a bill of sale. Wrong and wrong.

Grouse

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Unless you are getting a heck of a deal or buying from someone you know, I would definately check new prices over used. I remember pricing these things in 2004 and it was amazing what they wanted for used stuff. I figured for the $6-$800 more for new, I knew what I was getting. Just a thought…..

johnee

What would you define as a great deal?

I’m looking at a 2004 Sportsman 400 with 800 miles on the clock. I believe that to be a reliable milage estimate, the seller lives in a strip development where the ATV can’t be used, so he only uses it for deer hunting 2 weekends per year. The wear/tear is consistent with this story, it’s in very good condition. Never had a plow on it, only thing wrong is the battery is shot.

He wants $2500 for it. Can I get a new one for $3300 out the door? I’ve honestly never looked into new, I was assuming that new prices would start at 4-5k.

And before anyone says a 400 is too small, NO I will not be buying a 700. I don’t want anything that big, complicated, or heavy. I’m not going use this thing to pull a bulldozer out of the mud, it’s for getting to/from deer hunting spots that are just too hard on a vehicle to drive to.

Grouse

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Nope, that sounds like a great deal. I bought mine new in 04 and paid $4200-$4300 for it. I could not believe the muddy junk they were wanting $3500 for back then. I have the 400 as well. Plenty of power. I’ve had 3 guys on it pulling my Otter Lodge full of gear and it does alright.
    Hope you can get it for that

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Sounds like a good deal to me. $00 is pleanty for what you want. We have 2 and they work great.

johnee

Will have to see if everything checks out. You never know until you see the thing in person.

Of course, the seller just threw in a curveball. He says it’s never been registered in MN, even though they bought it new in MN from a dealer. Now 2004 is a long time ago, so he could be just not remembering right, but there you go.

I called the DNR and they said a 2004 coming from an MN dealer almost certainly would have been registered by the dealer at the time of sale. The DNR license center was great in answering my questions, they said just get the seller’s name and the VIN and call in. We’ll tell you what to do. Or what not to do in the case of the unit coming up as stolen.

So bottom line is I’ll proceed with caution and see if things check out. As I said before, experience has shown me that a lot of owners don’t keep their paperwork in order or know what is required, but I’m not going to take any chances.

Grouse

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.