??? Artificial Worms and minnows and sent can they replace the real thing????

• IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Ok my schedule is a mess as of late. If I get on the water it has been loosing allot of bait in between outings and money down the toilet so to speak. Do you believe these imitations can work as the same as real deal? Gulp minnows, Uncle Josh Meat worms or sent? What have you used that actually fished close to the real thing and how did you present it, and what species?

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I’ve used plastics on Walleye’s usually a jig and Gulp minnow works good,
    however I still start with live bait to see if that works. The one thing about plastics you can use it more aggressive, or sublte if you choose. I really like using the Berkley Killer Crawler on spinners, or the Pinched crawler for Slow Death hooks. Up in Canada plastics are the way to go.
    As far a Crappie (and Walleye), I love pitching a 1/8 oz. jig with Gulp Alive minnows in 2 1/2″ or 3″ into weeds, it works great.
    I also use other plastics but my go to is usually Gulp.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Well they don’t kick, so it’s often up to the angler to impart action (attract and trigger). When I’m searching for fish I use one size heaver jig than I would use for a live minnow and really pop it. Other times a simple drag can get more strikes. Experimenting with profile, color, speed and action is the real key. It takes a bag full of different sizes, colors and actions and some persistence imo to compete with the real thing. As a direct substitute for a live minnow for instance (bait and wait) they usually don’t perform well. Once you get dialed in, they really can out-produce live bait.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.