Are you one of the 1.4million Ram owners with the tailgate recall?

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

The recall covers Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2019 to 2022 model years.
    Should of bought a Ford… LOL

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why any one would want a dumb ass electric tailgate is beyond me. Still ain’t as bad a chevy yet.

Stanley

I have a Ford with the electric tailgate and while it is kind of nice I would trade it for a regular handle in a heartbeat.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have a 2020 Ram and love it. I have a normal tailgate however. I don’t need power but I do miss the tailgate step my previous F150 had. About the only thing I miss really.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ford is recalling nearly 519,000 SUVs in the United States over fire risks from possible cracked fuel injectors and will urge owners to have their cars inspected. The recall covers 2020-2023 model year Bronco Sport and Escape SUVs with 3 cylinder, 1.5 liter engines.Nov 24, 2022

rotflol I would rather have my tailgate open than burn down the house !!! doah

Should have bought a (insert manufacturer) .. then I will find the recall for you. jester

Ripjiggen

Yeah every manf has recalls. Most of the time people don’t even know.

CaptainMusky

Yeah every manf has recalls. Most of the time people don’t even know.

I would get letters about recalls on vehicles we hadnt owned in years. Wonder if they ever got to the new owner?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I think we can agree that they’re all overpriced junk.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I have a 2015 ram with a regular tailgate. It does have power locks in it. What the heck does an electric handle tailgate do?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I have a 2015 ram with a regular tailgate. It does have power locks in it. What the heck does an electric handle tailgate do?

Keeps your hands warm while pushing it! jester sorry, had to

Ripjiggen

Push a button and it opens. Not really that new.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Cost you almost 5k

big_g
    Isle, MN

The Ram tailgate is not “electric”… it only is a power released latch to open with the push of a button in the cab or on the key fob. The recall is for the striker plate that keep it closed, may not be aligned properly, nothing to do with the power release and doesn’t affect the multi function tailgates or the Classic.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I would get letters about recalls on vehicles we hadnt owned in years. Wonder if they ever got to the new owner?

Same here. I still get recall notices for a Tahoe I sold in 2018.

wormdunker

I have owned Volvos, several. High miles now and sits outside always. How do they never rust? My kid has a 2007 Volvo, the muffler isn’t even rusted. My ram was rusting heavily within 3 years of owning it.

My other kid has an 2008 Lexus, hardly any rust.

BUY AMERICAN!! junk. Wish Volvo would build a Pick up.

big_g
    Isle, MN

ram was rusting heavily within 3 years of owning it

Hope you took advantage of the Warranty under 3 years ?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Wish Volvo would build a Pick up

Anyone working in car repair would likely want to add this to the unpopular opinion thread. jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

IDK –
    You ever sit in the cockpit of a 22 Ram 2500 diesel longhorn mega cab and cruise around?
    It’ll put a smile on your face, guaranteed!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i love the tailgate on my RAM. necessary? No. freaking convenient? Yes.
    no issues with mine, and they can just do the recall they need to do to keep it working that way during my next oil change.

i sure wouldn’t refer to modern trucks as junk when considering the capabilities and comforts offered. vehicles in the 70s and 80s were junk. it’s shocking how much better we have it now.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ll admit “junk” is a bit of an exaggeration. But, it seems that most new vehicles still have their issues. I’ll agree with you on the vehicles from 40 years ago, but how much has reliability and cost of ownership (adjusted for inflation) improved over the last 20 years? Just don’t think reliability is very high on the list of designer priorities.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

…but how much has reliability and cost of ownership (adjusted for inflation) improved over the last 20 years?

According to the DOT, average car operating cost per $15k miles:
    in 2022 = $10725
    in 1975 = $2150, adjusted to 2022 dollars = $11954
    in 2002 = $7534, adjusted to 2022 dollars = $12506

Those figures include maintenance, repairs, tires, insurance, depreciation, license, taxes, etc.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I heard a customer say… back in the 80’s we didn’t have all these recalls….? And back in the 80’s, your radio was AM/FM with maybe 4 speakers.. that was your luxury item coffee jester rotflol

matt

I just need a vehicle to get me down the road,a raido,cruise control and power locks and windows are nice.Other than those things they can keep all the fancy electronic gadgetry that is piled onto/into vehicles these days,its not needed.Imagine how much cheaper vehicles would/could be if it wasnt for lane assist,auto braking,tire pressure monitors,self dimming mirriors,touchscreen dashes,back up cameras,ect..Overpriced junk.

CaptainMusky

Imagine how much cheaper vehicles would/could be if it wasnt for lane assist,auto braking,tire pressure monitors,self dimming mirriors,touchscreen dashes,back up cameras,ect..Overpriced junk.

I agree with you, but some things the government has mandated so they have to include it namely tire pressure monitors and a host of other things you didnt include like airbags, etc.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>matt wrote:</div>
    Imagine how much cheaper vehicles would/could be if it wasnt for lane assist,auto braking,tire pressure monitors,self dimming mirriors,touchscreen dashes,back up cameras,ect..Overpriced junk.

I agree with you, but some things the government has mandated so they have to include it namely tire pressure monitors and a host of other things you didnt include like airbags, etc.

Imagine how many more accidents there would be without lane assist, auto cruise, auto braking.. with all those fools I see on their phones when driving…! crazy Double edged sword

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’m with you Matt on most of the list, but I’m not giving up my back up camera, man is that slick hooking up the trailers, no longer have to do it by brail.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>
    …but how much has reliability and cost of ownership (adjusted for inflation) improved over the last 20 years?

According to the DOT, average car operating cost per $15k miles:
    in 2022 = $10725
    in 1975 = $2150, adjusted to 2022 dollars = $11954
    in 2002 = $7534, adjusted to 2022 dollars = $12506

Those figures include maintenance, repairs, tires, insurance, depreciation, license, taxes, etc.

Digging a bit deeper into those numbers on the BTS spreadsheet it appears that maintenance costs by themselves (which is what I was referring to) are up about 8.5% since 2004 (adjusted for inflation). I used 2004 because that is when they started using the current list of items to include. Not as much of an increase as I thought it might be.

I’d be curious to hear what the mechanics opinions are when it comes to overall reliability, durability, longevity of current vehicles vs 20 years ago.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I think it is more common for vehicles to have the ability to last longer than they did then. However with the dealers telling people to change oil at 8-10 thousand miles is taking out timing chains and engines.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.