Are you one of the 1.4million Ram owners with the tailgate recall?

• CaptainMusky

I think it is more common for vehicles to have the ability to last longer than they did then. However with the dealers telling people to change oil at 8-10 thousand miles is taking out timing chains and engines.

That and I think the oil life monitor systems really should be removed and just go by the mileage again like our fathers always did. Going by that oil life monitor is really bad and is likely the reason my wife lost her motor because the people before us ran that down to near zero. We checked the carfax, but they must not have changed the oil at a shop that recorded that stuff.

Stanley

I have lane assist in our new to us Ford F-150. The few times I tried it I was swerving side to side in the lane like I was drunk. Maybe the new vehicles are better as ours is a 16 but if that’s how it is I don’t know why anyone would use it.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

I have a 2019 Ram. I have the manual tailgate. My problem is that it takes several hard shoulder bumps to get the gate latch to release. I plan on stopping at the Ram dealer to see if they can fix the release.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That and I think the oil life monitor systems really should be removed and just go by the mileage again like our fathers always did

Correct Captain no one should be going by that voodo bs

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a 2019 Ram. I have the manual tailgate. My problem is that it takes several hard shoulder bumps to get the gate latch to release. I plan on stopping at the Ram dealer to see if they can fix the release.

Probably an adjustment needed, I have the same exact truck and mine works great.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    That and I think the oil life monitor systems really should be removed and just go by the mileage again like our fathers always did

Correct Captain no one should be going by that voodo bs

When I first had a vehicle with an electronic oil tracker, I questioned it. Because the service shop still put a sticker on my windshield for me to come in at a certain mileage/date, and it was not lining up with the tracker on my vehicle (Ford).

So I called Ford and spoke to an engineer on the phone (waited 20 minutes on hold) and asked for his opinion on the tracker. He said “we wouldn’t put it on there if it wasn’t accurate.” Then I asked him why the service center still wants me to come in every 3500 miles or 3 months to get an oil change and his response was “because they want your business.”

I go by the oil tracker after that conversation. I don’t wait until its down to 0% life. I do it when it gets to 10-20% oil life remaining. I think there is a warning that shows up on the dash when you I get to 10% oil life remaining.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Biggest influence’s on Oil Change intervals… Perceived “Cost of ownership” they can promote and the Government formula for how much Petroleum is a certain vehicle using in its lifetime of use. Manufacturers want lowest cost of ownership and Government wants synthetics over petroleum based oils and less of it used.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When I first had a vehicle with an electronic oil tracker, I questioned it. Because the service shop still put a sticker on my windshield for me to come in at a certain mileage/date, and it was not lining up with the tracker on my vehicle (Ford).

So I called Ford and spoke to an engineer on the phone (waited 20 minutes on hold) and asked for his opinion on the tracker. He said “we wouldn’t put it on there if it wasn’t accurate.” Then I asked him why the service center still wants me to come in every 3500 miles or 3 months to get an oil change and his response was “because they want your business.”

I go by the oil tracker after that conversation. I don’t wait until its down to 0% life. I do it when it gets to 10-20% oil life remaining. I think there is a warning that shows up on the dash when you I get to 10% oil life remaining.
    [/quote]

What he meant was because ford’s dealership wants your money. I do 5k on full synthetic in My ram, have since day one. When I got my oil tested it was very good results. Ram says 7500 to 10k on the dash. I think not. And you can adjust the oil life millage in the computer so how’s that any different

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And you can adjust the oil life millage in the computer so how’s that any different

What do you mean adjust the oil life mileage?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You guys do what you want. I can prove that most auto repair shops loose money on oil changes once you factor all the small cost items into it. Even if there is a small profit it is not enough to make us want you coming in more often for that service alone. Trust me and go by the sticker, if not give me a call when you need timing chains, we do make good money on those.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You guys do what you want. I can prove that most auto repair shops loose money on oil changes once you factor all the small cost items into it. Even if there is a small profit it is not enough to make us want you coming in more often for that service alone. Trust me and go by the sticker, if not give me a call when you need timing chains, we do make good money on those.

I go by the sticker every time

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    And you can adjust the oil life millage in the computer so how’s that any different

What do you mean adjust the oil life mileage?

Go in to settings and adjust the life percentage back and or auto set millage. The dealer had my truck set to 7500 I went in and set it back to 5k

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Go in to settings and adjust the life percentage back and or auto set millage. The dealer had my truck set to 7500 I went in and set it back to 5k

Gotcha, didn’t even realize it could be changed. Mine must be on the factory settings.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I just received a recall letter for my 2015 F150 for the tailgate release.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Gotcha, didn’t even realize it could be changed. Mine must be on the factory settings.

it’s not actually testing anything about your oil. the computer is just tracking how you drive, and based on your driving habits it’s computing estimated oil life. apparently i have very ordinary driving habits as mine alerts at 10k miles on the nose every time.

speaking of which…it’s telling me “oil change required” so i suppose i better call the dealership and get it in. and much as @fool4fishing has been saying, my friend who owns the dealership is very clear that their oil change prices are intended to lose money or just break even in order to help create loyalty for the actual repairs where they can make money.

Umy
    South Metro

Interesting, on my 2010 F150 I had the same problem. Dropped the tailgate, removed the 7 screws holding the metal covering on exposing the latch mechanism, turned the little knob on the armature, left the cover off and tried it a few more times to where it was dialed in perfectly and it works great. 10 minutes of my time – never having seen or done this before.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.