Bow setup help

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

So, I just got done shooting in my basement for the last hour. Wow have I missed shooting!! I haven’t shot in over 2 years, probably longer. I was actually surprised I was even able to the block.

I started out at 10 yards, concentrating on finding my release point, holding the bow etc… I was surprised how quickly things came back together and I was consistently punching the center arrow after arrow. So, I then moved back to 20 yards.

I was hitting the bull quite consistently, much to my surprise. However, I noticed the knock end of my arrows kicked to the left just slightly. I would say about 65% of my shots.

So, am I just holding the bow incorrectly? Do I need adjust my bow to help my arrow flight?

At this point, I know I need to shoot a lot more. What else should I be doing?? Looking for any and all suggestions. I plan to get into an archery shop soon to give the bow a once over. I’ve never been any good at adjusting/setting up my bow. I was spoiled and my uncle did all this for me, so hopefully I can learn more now.

Thanks!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds like alignment. Either your rest is off, to one side, or you are flexing the bow. A good paper tuning should take care of that. I don’t know too much about it, but the arrow is kicking one way or the other for a reason. If it is consistently left, I would guess the rest is off center to either the right or left. So at least this is a good sign for our up coming trip, your shooting…

big g

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Kooty, talk to Waller. He is the only one I let touch my bow now days!

kooty
    Keymaster

You let him touch your what??

I’ll shoot him a PM.

G, you got a resource for tuning a little closer to home for us in case Corey is busy??

Yes, told you yesterday officially started my 2008 hunting planning. Getting the tread mill working today and cleaning my shooting range.

Thanks guys!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Actually, a firend of mine, Dennis, lives about 2 miles from me. He is a Bow Master. He is a wholesaler to the archery shops in the area and knows his shi7. We could maybe set up a time, I need mine tuned also…. let me know.

big g

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

G is right. It’s probably your rest that is out of alignment. Are you shooting a drop away rest? If not, it could be your arrows are coming into contact a little too much w/ the prongs. It also could be your getting wrist slap it hurts like a SOB if you hit it hard enough!! but if you are shooting w/ a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt you may not notice it

kooty
    Keymaster

When I was younger and shot an old PSE Fireflight. Heavy monster for such a little wimp. I would beat the crap out of my arm, so I know exactly what you are talking about.
    That’s not the case today.

I went to the man store yesterday and checked out new rests. I currently do not shoot a drop away, but I will be soon. I also need to get new arrows, release and a string loop installed. I also need to get some limb savers or some other cable dampening system installed to quiet my bow.

Then of course I looked at the new bowtech black ice. WOW. $300 in accessories, $650 for a new bow. Typcial trip to the store. Wish list grows and grows and grows….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.