Typical or Non-typical?

• gobbler
    Central, MN

I brought my 13 pt buck in to get scored today and the P & Y measurer told me that he would do it sometime Sat/Sun. With that said, i will meet up w/ him on Mon/Tues evening to go over it w/ him and see the “Tail of the Tape” so to say.

Which brings me to the question: How do you determine which way you would like to have it entered?

example: 146 2/8 Typical or 159 6/8 Non-typical hypothetically speaking

Thanks for any input or reasoning one way or the other in advance

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Ricco,

I answered your question in the Deer hunting forum, but thought I’d cut/paste it here also:

You should have asked me the other day when we talked about measuring your 3 racks.

But what we use at the Deer Classic, is 12 inches. If a Deer has over 12 inches of Non-Typ points, then the deer benefits more being scored a Non-typ.

If the deer has less that 12 inches of non-typ points, then the deer benefits more being scored as a Typical.

with the example by MuskyMan with a 146 typ score, and 159 as a non-typ score; you’d need to know what the animal was shot with. If the deer was a GUN deer, the 146 is 6 inches over the minimum of 140 inches for a MN Record book entry. and 165 inches is the min for non-typ, so it would NOT even qualify for Book entry as a non-typ.

As an archery deer (which I know Ricco’s is) the minimums for the Mn Book are 125-typ, and 155 non-typ. the 146 would be 21 inches over min, and non-typ JUST 4 inches over minmum. thinking over the 146 typ verses 159 nontyp, there could only be 5 to 6 inches of nontyp inches total, that is less then the 12, so the Deer really benefits Much more as a Typical scored rack.

But again the main thing we look at is the over/under 12 inches as the deciding line. If a hunter HAS to have it measured the other way, if that is what he wants, no problem.

hope that helps.

let us know what the scores come out to be…

By the way, I just went back and looked at your Archery Buck pics, if your question is concerning your Deer.

There is NO WAY you are scoring this deer Non=typical, you only have 1 obvious bigger nontyp pt off the rt side G2, and maybe only a couple more very short Nontyp pts. at the most 6-8 inches nontyp, everything else is quite even, and VERY TYPICAL. Sure IS a GREAT DEER, Congrats again..

Jack..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.