archery advice

• baldwin4
    NE IA

These are great reels, I have them on my St. Croix ice rods.

ken67

i was wondering if there was anyone out there has reconmendations on good broadheads that can be puchased for a good price???????????

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

ThunderHead for under $40 a six pack. And depending on what grain size but shouldn’t be a big difference on price.

Dylan

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Muzzy or Wasp , I agree with Dylan too thunderheads are good as well.

budaman
    North Metro, MN

I shoot Rocket’s, 100gr. Ultimate Steel. $30 for a six pack, and replacement blades are only about $10 for a six pack. They’re cheap and fly great!

ken67

Thanks dylan for the advice and fo warning me about the posting

ken67

thanks for the info RVRAT il take you and Dylans choices and try them out for this seasons bow hunting

ken67

thanks BUDAMAN il have to try them along with the other brands that other people told me about

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

If your shooting over 260 fps Rocket Hammerhead is all you need to know my friend, well that is if you want an exit hole you can stick a baseball in

coppertop
    Central MN

Thunderhead 100gr.

gobbler
    Central, MN

100 gr. Thunderhead NO DOUBT!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

The Rage 3 Blade just about has me sold. This year I had another blood everywhere recovery and she did not make it 30 yards on the last day in ND. Not to mention how much my groups have tightened up at longer distances.

Sadly enough that was my only bow harvest of the year. However, I did make my 7mm Mag bark a few times dropping 3 others

jcthorson
    Austin, MN

I have heard and seen them rage broadheads. And they seem to be all the rage right now. But at 40 bucks a 3 pack they can get perty spendy. Ill have to give them a shot next year or try and whack a turkey with them this spring and see the devistation they do.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

$34.99 for 3 is not the cheapest around but it was about the same price as my old broad head. Hard to put a price tag on confidence and the ability to do damage when the big boy decides to step out. For an extra couple of bucks, to have your groups fly just as tight as your field points at any range and do the same or better damage then any other broad head, I will spend the extra $ every single time. Pretty cheap price to pay if you ask me!

I used to be a HUGE fixed blade guy, but these 3 Blade Rages ALMOST have me sold. I have totally switched to them, but not 100% sold yet, but close. I’m just waiting for that usual “Mechanical Head” let down, but from what I have seen personally (5) deer and others have told me I’m almost a believer.

jessica011

Rocky Mountain Titanium Fixed blade broadheads have worked
    well for me. Shoot same patterns as field tips and I have shot 6 deer with them. Not very expensive either.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Welcome aboard to IN-DEPTH OUTDOORS JON!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

i was wondering if there was anyone out there has reconmendations on good broadheads that can be puchased for a good price???????????

Nick…what length and type of arrow are you shooting…what bow? Draw length and Draw weight? We will assume you are hunting white tail deer?
    We can give you much better advice as to specific applications…

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Quote:

$34.99 for 3 is not the cheapest around but it was about the same price as my old broad head. Hard to put a price tag on confidence and the ability to do damage when the big boy decides to step out. For an extra couple of bucks, to have your groups fly just as tight as your field points at any range and do the same or better damage then any other broad head, I will spend the extra $ every single time. Pretty cheap price to pay if you ask me!

I used to be a HUGE fixed blade guy, but these 3 Blade Rages ALMOST have me sold. I have totally switched to them, but not 100% sold yet, but close. I’m just waiting for that usual “Mechanical Head” let down, but from what I have seen personally (5) deer and others have told me I’m almost a believer.

Ok Lip Ripper, I went to the Rage site and watched every stink’n video that they had about this crazy broadhead. I have shot Muzzy 100gr 3 and 4 blades forever. However, after seeing some of those entrance hole and knowing the thickness of the cover were I hunt I think that the ’08 season is in for a change. Thanks for the post and your opinion on this gear.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Isn’t there a recall on the Rage expandables…or is that the Grim Reaper? Something about elbow-wear or rounding causing expansion malfunction. I’ll try to find that article again, unless somebody knows what I’m talking about and can clarify.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Here it is:
    Recall notice on RAGE 3 Blade blades shipped between March 6th 2007 and May 31st 2007 … Rage™, the revolutionary rear-deploying expandable broadhead……
    Found doing a search for ‘expandable broadhead recall’

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

There was a post here at IDO on it. I don’t know where. They had rounded shoulders on them if I recall right. I inspected mine and they were good to go.

Dunn, your welcome, that is what makes this sight so great!

ken67

Ive heard good reviews about them so i think i might be interested in trying them.

ken67

i am shooting i believe a 28 inch carbon fiber arrow. my bow is a pse nova extreme and the draw weight is 55, but i am not sure of the length.

ken67

thanks for the advice, and your right they are a little exspensive but ill have maybe think about trying something like that because spending a little extra might just bring you in that one keeper buck.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

The Rage 3 Blade just about has me sold.

Ditto! I shot the buck in my avatar with this broadhead.

And welcome to IDO Jon Haskett!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

i am shooting i believe a 28 inch carbon fiber arrow. my bow is a pse nova extreme and the draw weight is 55, but i am not sure of the length.

I won’t recommend an expandable for you Nick…The PSE Nova with a 28″ arrow at 55# will not give you the kinetic energy needed for consistent passthroughs…(GOOD BLOOD TRAILS)…but any of the other fixed blade heads mentioned will work fine for you…remember its not the speed that kills its the arrow placement. If I had to pick one for you it would be be 100gr Slick Tricks…

alkfish
    St Paul MN

I have been shooting the rage for th past 2 years. Last year I took a good buck and 2 does with the 2 blade in MN….devistating holes. This year I switched to the 3 blade because of the law here in SD. I took a turkey in the spring and missed a good antelope with them, not the heads fault for failure, but rather operator error. This fall I punched a buck with 3 blade and it did not deploy!!! The head was right in the sweet spot but just entered the skin and lodged the arrow. This stunk, but a neighboring hunter saw him 2 weeks later and said he looked fine but still had my arrow. They were not part of the recall heads. I lost some confidence in the head so I pulled out the slick tricks and center punched a good buck. 1 week later I pulled out the rages again and had a great pass through and watched her drop right in front of me.

Even though I had one bad experience, I will continue to shoot the rage. I also shoot slick tricks which shoot with my field points. Yesterday I shot the g5 montecs and they shot along side the rage,slick tricks, and my field points. Tonight I am hoping to get a good field test on them

Broadhead preference is all about personal choice and more importantly placement. Take suggestions from others and try a few of them with your equipment to find which one shoots best out of your rig. Fixed or expandables? For me it’s a toss up, I feel the expandables may give me a few more yards of effective range…..as well as huge holes!

ken67

Thank you tom for taking your time to come up with a good broadhead for me. i will have to see how much those are and maybe pick a pack up and try them to see if i prefer them or not.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’ve heard alot of good things about the rage broadheads. I shoot the Muzzy three blade 100g because I like to have a consistant pass through with my arrows. The thing about the rage that I personally haven’t heard talked about is the exit hole. Even on the commercial for the rage, they only talk about, “You won’t believe the entry hole”. That’s about the only question I have about this broadhead! Do you get a consistant pass through? Just curious is all…it’s all about personal preference and what a person is comfortable shooting! Just like someone stated earlier, it’s the placement of the broadhead/arrow that makes the difference!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Dartkoski to tell you the truth, the only consistent pass thrus I have had the last 5 years is with the Rage 3 blade. 4 for 4 on passthrus.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.