Apple River stabbing incident

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

I haven’t been following it, and couldn’t find it in a quick google, was Miu drunk, high, both or sober?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Mui was not found to have any alcohol or drugs in his system. He was completely sober and the officers who arrested and cuffed him testified to that.

Jimmy Jones

The parents of every underaged kid that was present and found to be drunk or high should be held accountable for their kid. Take away the alcohol and maryjane and its quite possible that this never happened. The way the kids act or behave starts at home. Way too many kids are given free reign today that haven’t earned the freedom they’re given.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Prosecution witnesses are over and Nick Mui will be taking the stand shortly.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The parents of every underaged kid that was present and found to be drunk or high should be held accountable for their kid. Take away the alcohol and maryjane and its quite possible that this never happened. The way the kids act or behave starts at home. Way too many kids are given free reign today that haven’t earned the freedom they’re given.

The deceased was 17. The others most directly involved were 24, 22, 22, and 20. All but 1 were of legal age to consume alcohol. None of the surviving victims is a kid/child by law.

***Full Disclaimer I am all about holding parents accountable for their children, but it doesn’t apply to most of this by law***

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Prosecution witnesses are over and Nick Mui will be taking the stand shortly.

Where can a person watch this live?

Jimmy Jones

Care to enlighten me about who the “kids” are that are involved? This take has been echoed in random spots all over on social media and on commentary sections but is illogical.

The deceased was 17. The others involved were 24, 22, 22, and 20. All but 1 were of legal age to consume alcohol. Exactly ZERO people involved in this situation were children or kids by law. Everyone involved who is alive is an adult. Period.

***Full Disclaimer I am all about holding parents accountable for their children, but it doesn’t apply in any way here***

Honestly I don’t follow this much, but what little I’ve seen or read the reference to drunken kids has come up so I assumed [my bad] that they were underaged. Still, those who are of age had a part in this and they could be charged with any number of things since they too could have just walked away but chose to engage the guy. Bottom line, this didn’t have to happen and since there was a large presence of alcohol and maryjane, those using it are coming off as out of control because of it. They’re every bit as much to blame.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

The deceased was 17. The others involved were 24, 22, 22, and 20. All but 1 were of legal age to consume alcohol. Exactly ZERO people involved in this situation were children or kids by law. Everyone involved who is alive is an adult. Period.

***Full Disclaimer I am all about holding parents accountable for their children, but it doesn’t apply in any way here***

Honestly I don’t follow this much, but what little I’ve seen or read the reference to drunken kids has come up so I assumed [my bad] that they were underaged. Still, those who are of age had a part in this and they could be charged with any number of things since they too could have just walked away but chose to engage the guy. Bottom line, this didn’t have to happen and since there was a large presence of alcohol and maryjane, those using it are coming off as out of control because of it. They’re every bit as much to blame.

I agree. They were young adults that should carry some of the blame for what happened as well. I don’t foresee any prosecutor ever going down that rabbit hole though with assault charges or anything along those lines.

A most costly lesson was learned that day by everyone involved. Hopefully that idea never goes away and other young adults who frequent the area learn from this as well.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Update:

I think this Miu guy made a mistake by taking the stand.

The prosecution’s witnesses were far from precise and overwhelmingly convincing. He’s given them free ammunition. Miu is getting absolutely grilled in questioning related to the part where he approached the group a second time running up on them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve also learned that he lied multiple times during the initial interrogation by authorities, specifically about the knife. He claimed at least 2 people in the group he encountered had a knife, used it on him, and that he used one of those to defend himself when in fact he had his own knife in his pocket and used that instead. He admits to lying during interrogation.

Also, from what I can tell, initial physical contact is initiated from the group. Not Mui. I guess I also didn’t realize that at least one person from the group tries to hold his head under the water after he is pushed down. This all occurs prior to him using the knife.

stout93
    Becker MN

Also, from what I can tell, initial physical contact is initiated from the group. Not Mui. I guess I also didn’t realize that at least one person from the group tries to hold his head under the water after he is pushed down. This all occurs prior to him using the knife.

Hmmm…

But I thought a group of drunken teens were of no threat?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The clip frozen of him with a smile when he has touched the knife as it’s by his side is pretty powerful. (he said it was his “confused” look). The prosecution on cross asked if he declared to anyone he had a knife or said “Watch out I have a knife” and brandished it in plain sight as a deterrent and he clearly stated he did not.

Good luck to this jury. After hearing the original case presented by the prosecution and their witnesses, I felt pretty confident of a not guilty verdict. Now Miu is doing himself no favors. The pendulum in my mind is swinging back to at least 50/50 on a guilty/not guilty verdict.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Again, it’s looking like him testifying was a mistake.

I agree, at this point he probably made it worse by taking the stand. I could see either verdict now whereas prior to his testimony I thought it was favoring a not guilty verdict.

Baitwaster
    South metro

As far as the frame of him “smiling” – have you ever seen a freeze frame of anyone else with a weird look on their face? Absolutely looks like he’s smiling, on the outside anyhow, but I doubt on the inside…

Quick search:

Is it normal to smile when nervous?

Smiling is a normal response to anger and nerves. It’s a way we comfort ourselves. Smiling makes us feel good. When we are faced with anger or nerves it’s our bodies way to handle the stress.

I’m not taking either sides, but taking a frame out of the video and to imply he was taking joy out of this is nuts…

LabDaddy1

Also did I just hear him admit to drinking? I thought he was supposedly sober? He just said something like “well yeah but not vodka or anything like that,” when asked whether he’d been drinking…

Am I hearing things?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Also did I just hear him admit to drinking? I thought he was supposedly sober? He just said something like “well yeah but not vodka or anything like that,” when asked whether he’d been drinking…
    Am I hearing things?

I heard that too.

I posted that he was sober during the incident before because the officers who initially contacted and arrested him had no reason to think he had been drinking and he showed no signs of being drunk. Well apparently he did “have a few beers” according to what he indicated on the stand. We don’t know how much alcohol he may have had in his system because no sobriety or alcohol tests were conducted on him. What we do know is that the group of individuals he encountered were definitely drinking and smoking weed, and testing confirmed that.

Yet another reason that taking the stand may be doing more harm than good. Good catch Labdaddy.

CaptainMusky

We don’t know how much alcohol he may have had in his system because no sobriety or alcohol tests were conducted on him.

Who floats down the apple river without drinking something and why the PoPo didnt test him after the incident is a miscarriage of justice or the very least dereliction of duty.

AK Guy

The parents of every underaged kid that was present and found to be drunk or high should be held accountable for their kid. Take away the alcohol and maryjane and its quite possible that this never happened. The way the kids act or behave starts at home. Way too many kids are given free rein today that haven’t earned the freedom they’re given.

The parents of the 2021 Michigan school shooter were both sentenced today for 10-15 years. They were definitely held accountable.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

As far as the frame of him “smiling” – have you ever seen a freeze frame of anyone else with a weird look on their face? Absolutely looks like he’s smiling, on the outside anyhow, but I doubt on the inside…

Quick search:

Is it normal to smile when nervous?

Smiling is a normal response to anger and nerves. It’s a way we comfort ourselves. Smiling makes us feel good. When we are faced with anger or nerves it’s our bodies way to handle the stress.

I’m not taking either sides, but taking a frame out of the video and to imply he was taking joy out of this is nuts…

I didn’t write the prosecutor’s line of questioning nor am I taking sides, but that image paused in an emotional court room (while simultaneously highlighting that he possessed the knife at that time) left open to interpretation along with his stammering when questioned about it is powerful.

I’m not saying he “took joy” out of the situation, but the prosecutors were extremely strategic with their starting/stopping and frame choices with the case. That all brings me back full circle thinking Miu should have pulled an audible and NOT taken the stand. I think the cross of him is the most damning testimony so far. Many of the prosecutors’ earliest witnesses wouldn’t have done much for me if I was a juror. His taking the stand has swung the case in my opinion

Justin riegel

After watching most of his testimony today, I do not feel he is guilty of 1st degree offenses. He is guilty of something as I think he could have walked away. I did not watch the video so my take is based solely on his testimony.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Not singling your statement out, Bucky, but I even thought that at the time the prosecutor showed it. I also wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth about the taking joy statement. Just making an observation about that point in the trial.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^all good.

I would not want to be those jurors!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The parents of the 2021 Michigan school shooter were both sentenced today for 10-15 years. They were definitely held accountable.

Good. Those people were idiots.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I noticed the what appeared to be a smile in the video and thought it was odd, but I agree I think it was a nervous smile. There is so much chaos going on in the video and you really cannot even understand what they are saying.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Closing arguments are today. It sounds like jury deliberation will begin after that.

OG Net_Man

I did not spend much time absorbing this trial but I seen some video last night which was of the lawyers and judge discussing lower charges of homicide. Did they actually change or add charges to allow for a more likely hood of a guilty verdict from the jury?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Apparently one of the jurors was nodding off and fell asleep during a portion of the trial yesterday and the prosecution wants that person removed for an alternate. LOL c’mon man, falling asleep during a homicide trial?! ???

CaptainMusky

LOL c’mon man, falling asleep during defendant testimony?!

While funny he could have narcolepsy or sleep apnea. I have a coworker who will fall asleep in meetings if he isnt on his meds.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 238 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.