Apple River stabbing incident

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

An old thread from a July 2022 incident. The trial for this has started in St Croix County, WI. Trial is expected to take 2 weeks. They released the video taken by an individual who was there.

ThunderLund78

Ohhhh man that’s hard to watch… That’s all I’m going to say.

3Rivers

This is all being live streamed on Fox9 YouTube. I watched all of day 1 last night.

It’s fascinating stuff.

Personally, I don’t see how anything other than a guilty judgement will happen and he needs to be punished for what he did. Those kids sure weren’t innocent though and their actions and behavior certainly played a role.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The kids were dumb as hell and the guy is a wack job.

I’d like to slap every one of those kids.

CaptainMusky

It wont let me watch the video because of restricted mode on my PC so I am not sure how to view nor am I sure I want to.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We live in such a messed up world.

It sure seems like a case of some dumb privileged kids who were made “stronger” by booze and numbers….that encountered the wrong crazy guy.

I will be absolutely shocked if he’s not found guilty, but hopefully those kids understand their stupidity played a significant role in this. It’s more than a story about “some psycho guy who attacked people with a knife.”

OG Net_Man

The camera pans around too much to see all that happened. I would hate to have been put in this scenario of the accused. That many people harassing and heckling you…..

If there was no knife and the accused was trained in combat fighting and he whipped these young men’s asses we all would have been cheering.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t see how he’s NOT found guilty

I could certainly see a jury finding him not guilty if his lawyer is able to convince them of the self defense claim. That’s for the 12 individuals to decide though, not me.

From what I’ve read, the prosecution has a list of over 40 witnesses they are calling to the stand in the next 2 weeks. The testimony from the defendant himself will also be interesting.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

True. I probably went a little far. I’ll still say there’s a roughly 80% chance this guy is found guilty. It’s also telling that people in his group were the ones to tell police he threw a knife. The conversations with police where he ultimately lied about having a knife whatsoever and not knowing what happened are pretty telling…as in he knew he did something wrong.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It wont let me watch the video because of restricted mode on my PC so I am not sure how to view nor am I sure I want to.

You don’t want to. I wish I didn’t.

3Rivers

After watching the full video now, it’s clear that alcohol and drugs were the major factor here. I haven’t seen a report of Miu’s BAC, but he was definitely not coherent in that video and appeared drunk or high as well. Here’s what he told the police when they caught up to him

“Miu said he had been attacked by the tubers, who “produced two weapons,” but said he didn’t remember anything after that.
    “Nic told me that he was ‘so fearful’ for his safety and wasn’t sure what the people on the river were going to do to him,” the complaint says.
    He claimed the group took his snorkel away and that one person tried to pull down his swim trunks. As he “grabbed onto” the supposed culprit, Miu said two members of the group pulled knives on him. He claimed he then took one of the knives away and turned it back on the group, contrary to evidence from both his wife and the bystander footage.”

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

bad deal all the way around…

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

First, I highly dislike court played out live on-line to the public. Either show every case or none of them. Not just the cases that will get the media the most clicks.

Second, I believe self defense argument will fail. He clearly exceeded the force needed to get himself out of that situation.

-J.

CaptainMusky

Yeah he could have certainly just walked away.

munchy
    NULL

I will be absolutely shocked if he’s not found guilty, but hopefully those kids understand their stupidity played a significant role in this. It’s more than a story about “some psycho guy who attacked people with a knife.”

Unfortunately they are trying to charge him with 1st degree homicide and 1st degree attempted, with that video I can see no way they can find him guilty of anything 1st degree. 2nd maybe, 3rd definitely.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Unfortunately they are trying to charge him with 1st degree homicide and 1st degree attempted, with that video I can see no way they can find him guilty of anything 1st degree. 2nd maybe, 3rd definitely.

100% agree. After watching the video, Hard to find him guilty of 1st degree based on the Def. of it.

Deuces

Honestly who wouldn’t want to punch every single one of those kids lights out. Bro mentality erks me to no end.

But pulling a knife is ridiculous. Leave the scene and all will be well, and that goes for all parties involved. Play stupid games….

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Honestly who wouldn’t want to punch every single one of those kids lights out. Bro mentality erks me to no end.

But pulling a knife is ridiculous. Leave the scene and all will be well, and that goes for all parties involved. Play stupid games….

Couldn’t agree more Deuces

JEREMY
    BP

I agree that didnt need to happen but everyone of those arrogant asswads needed their ass kicked.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I wish I could unsee that.

picklerick
    Central WI

I wish I could unsee that.

I remember this story, but I’m going to pass on watching the video.

Johnny

I definitely think he is guilty of something, just not sure what. I’ll say he has a much better argument for self-defense than many people who have been acquitted of murder charges (like George Zimmerman).

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I think he’ll be found guilty. Is the only charge 1st degree? I watched the video but once is enough. Seeing the one kid laying on his back and another view of an obvious pool of blood in a murky river is unsettling.

picklerick
    Central WI

Like I said, I didn’t watch the video and don’t know how it started but if someone attacks me with their fists and I’m armed, they’re going to get killed if they don’t run away. It’s not a sporting competition, or in the case of a trained police officer, where fairness, or the “appropriate” level of force should be considered. The attacker can decide how it ends if they choose not to retreat. I’m not getting into a boxing or wrestling match. This is why I don’t carry even though I have had a permit for years.

munchy
    NULL

Is the only charge 1st degree? I watched the video but once is enough. Seeing the one kid laying on his back and another view of an obvious pool of blood in a murky river is unsettling.

Yes, 1 count of 1st degree murder, 4 counts of 1st degree attempted murder, and 1 count of a misdemeanor. IMO the prosecutor is going to have a tough time proving 1st deg intent because of the video. He clearly didn’t go there to kill someone. The only thing they have going for them is he was found and arrested 1.5 hours later about a mile down river.

The kids were drinking, heavily. Autopsy showed BAC of.219 on the kid killed. And everyone was saying he was the least drunk of all his group.

And from what I have read, the kid in the orange shorts you see stabbed in the abdomen was not the one killed.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

That is disturbing and he is guilty as hell.It’s just a matter of how much time they decide on.
    I do think each one of the kids involved should get some sort of punishment for there part in it and a kick or two in the gonads.

Johnny

That is disturbing and he is guilty as hell.It’s just a matter of how much time they decide on.
    I do think each one of the kids involved should get some sort of punishment for there part in it and a kick or two in the gonads.

Guilty of what? 1st degree? I have a hard time seeing how this was premeditated.

CaptainMusky

When these lawyers charge 1st degree in cases like this they are fools. No way it’s premeditated.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 238 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.