Anyone try the cheap 24 volt lithium batteries yet?

• B-man

I just bought a Terrova for my river boat, I’m limited on horsepower so I’m trying to keep weight down.

Have any of you tried the cheapy 24 volt lithiums yet?

I’m not worried about cold charging (the boat is parked inside), and don’t want a battery that cost more than the boat lol

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Better have good insurance, normal lithium batteries are bad enough but cheap ones might start a fire easier

dbright
    Cambridge

I have had a litime 24v 100ah in my boat since this time last year along with a few other guys I know. It was $609 last winter when I ordered it. For my boat if I did it again I would go smaller. I ran my tm harder then normal for a weekend to see if I could wear it all the way down and it was still going strong on day 3.

The link above to wills channel is a great resource for budget batteries.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have had a litime 24v 100ah in my boat since this time last year along with a few other guys I know. It was $609 last winter when I ordered it. For my boat if I did it again I would go smaller. I ran my tm harder then normal for a weekend to see if I could wear it all the way down and it was still going strong on day 3.

The link above to wills channel is a great resource for budget batteries.

I’m going to measure my battery compartment and see if that battery fits. If so I’m going to go that route. I am in need of 2 new batteries, 1 of these at that price will take care of that. I’ll have to read up and see what charging temps this is good To.

pass0047
    Pool4

I bought 3 Enerakkus 12 volt 100ah from Amazon for a little over 200 each. Ran in 36 volt system. First time out went well for 2 hours and died. Second time out did the same and would not take a charge even with jumping. Long story short bought another one while trying to return bad battery.
    New battery works well and got a couple full days on water so far and running well.
    A lot of hassle and customer service was horrible on return but just received refund from company through Amazon today. They have no stated return policy. So happy with that. Time will tell

dbright
    Cambridge

Bearcat unless they have a newer version charging is 32 and up. Mine does not have cold temp charging protection. I decided to go with it still since it easy to remove and bring in to charge.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat unless they have a newer version charging is 32 and up. Mine does not have cold temp charging protection. I decided to go with it still since it easy to remove and bring in to charge.

My thoughts exactly. I would add quick release to it for easy in and out. I do fish in to the cold weather months but removing a battery to save a thousand bucks is ok with me.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dustins quick release is a old weathered bungee cord. I think he has a lot of faith in that cord.

Litime did have some heated models but they looked to be out of stock when I looked. Seems to me even with the heated battery this might cover you for short term temps maybe down into the single digits.

bclii
    MN/AZ

I bought 3 Enerakkus 12 volt 100ah from Amazon for a little over 200 each. Ran in 36 volt system. First time out went well for 2 hours and died. Second time out did the same and would not take a charge even with jumping. Long story short bought another one while trying to return bad battery.
    New battery works well and got a couple full days on water so far and running well.
    A lot of hassle and customer service was horrible on return but just received refund from company through Amazon today. They have no stated return policy. So happy with that. Time will tell

If you order off of Amazon and you get a bad battery, it’s much easier to exchange them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dustins quick release is a old weathered bungee cord. I think he has a lot of faith in that cord.

Litime did have some heated models but they looked to be out of stock when I looked. Seems to me even with the heated battery this might cover you for short term temps maybe down into the single digits.

The old faithful bungee cord. Mike you better gift him a small ratchet strap at least. For me if it’s easy in and out I prefer to save some cash and go non heated especially if I can get 2 days or better per charge.

isu22andy

I wish I knew the temp cut off was more like 20 . Many days I fish around that 32 degree mark and the garage stays usually 28- 32 ish during the day

pass0047
    Pool4

Got from Amazon but it was over 30 days before I was able to get installed with on onboard charger and get in the water a couple time to see how they worked. After 30 days Amazon sends u back to seller. It worked out but was a pain

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Got from Amazon but it was over 30 days before I was able to get installed with on onboard charger and get in the water a couple time to see how they worked. After 30 days Amazon sends u back to seller. It worked out but was a pain

This is one of the reasons I would prefer to buy batteries at a store in person. In case there’s a problem it’s a whole lot easier to return or exchange.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

You don’t need a heated battery to use it in sub-freezing temps, only to charge it in sub-freezing temps. If you charge your batteries in a garage you’re probably good most of the time, and if you’re not you just need to warm the battery up. Just get one with low temp cut off so it won’t accept a charge when too cold. I have the LiTime TM model batteries (12v, 100ah) and they’ve been great so far. Not sure about the 24v models but can’t see why they wouldn’t also be good. Also, the batteries you get for your boat are not the same type of batteries that started fires in cell phones. The risk of fire is a non-issue.

Michael Best

My next set of batteries I will be purchasing are the LiTime 12 volt 100 A/h batteries.
    I just plan on buying electric hearing battery blankets to warm the batteries for charging in temps below freezing.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Me personally like the idea having separate Lifepo4 12 volt batteries, on a fishing trip and something happens to one battery I can find a cheap 12 volt LA battery to throw in there to finish the trip. Need a special 24 volt charger, finding a 24 volt source in case the BMS trips out can be an issue, with 12 volt there are other batteries in the boat to kick the BMS back on. Just my opinion and why I went with two 100 AH 12 volt LIfePO4 batteries.

toddrun

First I heard of the cold temp charging issue with Lithium batteries. So does that include winter storage with a battery tender?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

First I heard of the cold temp charging issue with Lithium batteries. So does that include winter storage with a battery tender?

Most of them cannot be charged below 32 degrees. Unless you have a battery heater for them. You can use them in colder temps, you just can’t charge them. You could just take them inside too since they are a lot lighter in weight.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Me personally like the idea having separate Lifepo4 12 volt batteries, on a fishing trip and something happens to one battery I can find a cheap 12 volt LA battery to throw in there to finish the trip. Need a special 24 volt charger, finding a 24 volt source in case the BMS trips out can be an issue, with 12 volt there are other batteries in the boat to kick the BMS back on. Just my opinion and why I went with two 100 AH 12 volt LIfePO4 batteries.

I like this idea of the 2 12v 100ah. I’m looking at them and have them in my cart. 300 a piece is no real difference over what I’m already going to buy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What chargers are you guys running for a 2 bank litime 12v 100ah battery. I don’t see a 2 bank as a option. I know my new charger is good for lithium but not sure about the lifepo4. The charger is a noco gen5x2 good for 12v sla, 12 agm, and 12v lithium but doesn’t say lifepo4 so I assume that won’t work

Michael Best

What chargers are you guys running for a 2 bank litime 12v 100ah battery. I don’t see a 2 bank as an option. I know my new charger is good for lithium but not sure about the lifepo4. The charger is a noco gen5x2 good for 12v sla, 12 agm, and 12v lithium but doesn’t say lifepo4 so I assume that won’t work

Lifepo4 is lithium. Your charger will charge them just fine.

James Almquist

The charger is a noco gen5x2 good for 12v sla, 12 agm, and 12v lithium but doesn’t say lifepo4 so I assume that won’t work

The only problem you might run into is if the battery/batteries are really discharged it could take close to 20 hours to charge. Might want to look into a Noco 10 X 2 so both batteries will be charged in 10 hours.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The noco 5×2 is brand new still in the package I’m not sure if they would exchange it. I got it for Xmas and haven’t swapped my 2 bank I have already. Otherwise maybe I’ll list it here for sale.
    I appreciate the input guys thank you all

john23
    St. Paul, MN

There was a question about charging during storage. You’re not supposed to. They don’t discharge nearly as quickly as lead acid batteries, and the recommendations I’ve read say to just store them at 50-75% and forget about them until spring. Not sure about storing in sub-freezing temps.

You can add Bluetooth monitoring to any battery for $40, which I have enjoyed having. Link to Amazon: https://a.co/d/43uYpDh

The battery heaters are just small 12v silicone heating mats. Search them on Amazon. You can install them on a switch with or without a thermostat. I convinced myself this would be the solution if I needed it, but I haven’t needed it. I’m also pretty sure I could run my batteries for 2-3 full days before they’d go dead (36v system). They have sooo much more juice than my old Optima Blue Tops.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Bought 2 100 amp Redodo with low temp cut off for new Ulterra . Ran a single last year and it worked fine . Minn Kota 345 pcl charger on the way .

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Li(lithium)Fe(iron)PO4(phosphate).

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one know the difference between li time 12v 100ah group 31, and the 12v 100 ah trolling motor battery ? Ther are a 40 dollar difference in price and I’m curious what differences they have.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240317_215024_Chrome.jpg

2. Screenshot_20240317_215042_Chrome.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat, Going by what LiTime has on their website. The $319 battery has low temp cut off. The $279 battery does not. Or at least they do not mention the low temp cut off for the $279 battery.
    I would want the low temp cut off for any spring fishing trips.

I see the tm battery has shock resistance as well for being beat up in a boat. For 379 they also have a heated battery. So now I debate.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.