Anyone pull an 18-19 ft fiberglass boat with Honda Pilot?

• Coletrain27

The ratings they put on vehicles is a bunch of BS to get sales. Look at the ratings the new 1/2 ton trucks have for example. What a joke they are. Take the ratings and substrate about 25-30% in my opinion to be safe.

Not worth risking your life, your family’s or somebody else’s family’s life on the road. Those people pulling 10000# 30+’ campers with half ton trucks down the highway don’t have a clue most the time.

toddrun

Consider the fact that most of these suburban SUV’s run more of a car transmission, so you would be putting a lot of load on the tranny, shortening its life. Not sure about the Honda’s, but my guess is that it is no different than the rest. Tranny cooler for sure, even then it would be straining it on long hauls.

JEREMY
    BP

For the safety of yourself and others you could upgrade the brakes to bigger pads and rotors and install some rear air bags

Just curious how you can just put bigger rotors on without changing caliper mounting location. I don’t think the average joe wants to figure out different steering knuckles to make that work.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

I wouldn’t do it, fuel economy will be garbage, stopping will not be fun.

My FIL has a pilot and he doesn’t like towing an alumalite trailer that weighs 2500lbs. He has the touring edition with tow package as well.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The ratings they put on vehicles is a bunch of BS to get sales. Look at the ratings the new 1/2 ton trucks have for example. What a joke they are.

Volkswagon fabricated their EPA mileage on many of their passenger vehicles and it costed them big time in the long run. I highly doubt these major truck companies are posted towing capacities “as a joke.”

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>coletrain27 wrote:</div>
    The ratings they put on vehicles is a bunch of BS to get sales. Look at the ratings the new 1/2 ton trucks have for example. What a joke they are.

Volkswagon fabricated their EPA mileage on many of their passenger vehicles and it costed them big time in the long run. I highly doubt these major truck companies are posted towing capacities “as a joke.”

so you think a 1/2 ton truck should be towing over 13000# as they claim is “safe”? hah i have a 3/4 ton crew cab thats not even rated that high

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

so you think a 1/2 ton truck should be towing over 13000# as they claim is “safe”? hah i have a 3/4 ton crew cab thats not even rated that high

Absolutely not. My 1/2 truck is rated for 12,000 pounds and I believe it to be accurate tho. Its not completely bogus otherwise they wouldn’t put it on there. Whether I would tow 12,000 pounds is a completely different story. I don’t even own anything remotely close to that weight so I’ll never try either.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

You are asking for a lot of issues stemming from the stress put on it. Transmission, brakes, suspension, not to mention running a motor that hard for even that long. A Honda Pilot with a “towing Package” is just a selling point for people who will never tow anything in their life. Or maybe a small utility trailer for mulch and yard work type things. I personally wouldn’t approach the top end of the tow limits.

mike e

I would consult the secret book in the glove box. But according to Honda’s website, not even close.

Another thing to consider, tow ratings may only allow for a driver and nothing else inside.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You guys realize this original post is from April 2019, right?

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    For the safety of yourself and others you could upgrade the brakes to bigger pads and rotors and install some rear air bags

Just curious how you can just put bigger rotors on without changing caliper mounting location. I don’t think the average joe wants to figure out different steering knuckles to make that work.

Sorry, change the word bigger to high performance. Point was to upgrade the brake pads and rotors.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.