Anyone pull an 18-19 ft fiberglass boat with Honda Pilot?

• bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Considering an upgrade to my current boat. I have a 2014 Honda Pilot. Looking at a 19 ft Triton with a 200 HP Yamaha. Most of my fishing is about a mile from my house to the river. Probably pull it to the cabin (70 miles one way) a half dozen times during the summer. Thoughts? I plan to get a pickup within the next 2 years. Thanks.

No way, too much risk and liability. What’s the max tow rating on a Pilot? 3500lb?

Aaron Kalberer

If I remember correctly (coworker just bought a pilot to pull his 17′ alumacraft) the tow rating is in the area of 5,000 lbs. It will pull it I am sure. Keep it in the tow rating but regardless it will not be an enjoyable pull. I think beings you are planning on getting a pickup in the next couple of years you shouldn’t have a problem pulling the boat for that period of time.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I think slowing it down should be your concern if that. I don’t see why you couldn’t for short trips like you do.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

My buddy pulls a Lund 18.5′ Impact with a 150 Merc behind his Pilot. It is VERY light in the front-end as the rear suspension is just not up to the task. I would not want to be around in a panic stop situation.

The Triton you mention is even heavier…I think it is a bad idea to plan for 70 mile trips with that setup.

Pulling is one thing – stopping safely and being in control of your towing setup are real considerations. If not for you, for the rest of us

Scott

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

They are rated to tow 5k and that boat is probably less that 4K wet. You’ll be absolutely fine. Stopping is always a concern when towing. Drive safely and defensively just like you would in any vehicle and you’ll be fine.

tswoboda

The Pilot certainly isn’t designed as a tow vehicle but with a few modifications it should be able to safely handle some light towing. Not sure what year you have but my wife has a 2013 and it’s a heavy vehicle… it’s the same weight as my half ton Silverado!

For the safety of yourself and others you could upgrade the brakes to bigger pads and rotors and install some rear air bags. For the safety of the vehicle you could add an ATF cooler. You should be able to do that yourself for $500.

Depending on the condition of your tires you could upgrade those to some XL or LT in the future.

B-man

A quick Google search shows your Pilot with a tow rating AS LITTLE AS 2,000# and up to 4,500# ****WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPPED****…..

Key word: ****PROPERLY**** (gear ratio, brakes, coolers, weight distributing hitch, tires, suspension, engine etc)

Everyone thinks because they saw a commercial, or their buddy told them they can tow 10,000# that they can too….not the case.

Do your homework and have the dealer look up your VIN to see what your **actual rating is.

In my opinion, even if you’re rated for the maximum of 4,500#, you’d still be over. A loaded up 18′-19′-20′ glass walleye boat with a V6 ain’ts exactly light (and keep in mind all passengers, gear, coolers, fuel, etc take away from your tow rating).

It’s also a common safety practice to not exceed 80% of your maximum rating.

If you want to tow a real boat…..get a real tow vehicle. You’re in half-ton territory with that rig.

If you are involved in a crash that maims or kills someone with an overweight vehicle, you are opening yourself up to A LOT of liability…..

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d say that your mile or so trips to the river would likely not be an overwhelming issue if you’re driving defensively and are smart. Use your parking brake (the correct way) when at the landings to save on your transmission. Stopping is the major concern as many have stated. Do not forget that boat weights are listed as bone dry. When you throw in 20+ gallons of fuel, batteries, rods, tackle, anchors, coolers, etc. it adds up fast. Also remember that passengers and gear stored inside your tow vehicle reduce the towing capacity also.

Don’t let someone tell you you need a diesel truck with airbags, etc. to pull that rig. However, I would not want to tow it 70 miles one way at highway speed solely due to wear and tear on the vehicle and the liability involved.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This all comes down to the actual numbers.

What is the actual tow weight rating of your Honda as it is equipped?

What is the actual weight of the boat/motor/trailer?

Single axle or double axle trailer?

Brakes on trailer?

Comes down to some pretty simple math. Also, with a double axle trailer with brakes, I can see a Honda with a 4500 tow rating towing that rig pretty well, but only if it’s equipped.

Grouse

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Doubt the honda is equipped with trailer brake controller

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Doubt the honda is equipped with trailer brake controller

You don’t need one for surge brakes.

I’ve never seen a factory boat trailer with electronic brakes. I’ve heard of people doing aftermarket conversions with variable success.

Is that what a Triton comes with these days? A trailer with electronic brakes?

Grouse

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a newer Explorer which is a little bigger than your Pilot and I have an 18 ft Nitro with a 125. I have never been stuck at a launch and it pulls my boat great. However, I would be hesitant trying to pull anything bigger than that, especially with a 200 hp on the back. You also need to consider the total weight of the boat FULLY LOADED with all your gear AND GAS. It can add a surprising amount of weight.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Everyone thinks because they saw a commercial, or their buddy told them they can tow 10,000# that they can too….not the case.

Wait…so my Toyota Tundra CAN’T pull a space shuttle???

Bummer, gonna hope I can cancel that order. Lol

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I was able to confirm my pilot has a 4500 lb capacity. They actually have a label right by the hitch that has this info. The trailer has dual axels. The pilot pulls my 1775 Pro V fine but that only has a 115 on it. I’m not nuts about pulling that heavy of a boat. Will have to see what my buddy wants for his boat. We may not even be in the same area code between what he wants and what I can afford. Thanks again.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0924.jpg

tim hurley

My newish Pilot handles my new baot better than my old 8cylinder Jeep-my rig is lighter than yours though. Anyone have an idea where you can weigh your rig? All this talk about my 12pack cooler and a few rods adding so much weight that I am now curious. Drinking all your beer might help distribute the weight better! I would reccomend everyone stay on top of keeping that tranny fluid fresh and to use sythetic(standard in my year of pilot) Good luck

FryDog62

About 5 years ago, my usual towing vehicle was a lease that I had just turned in – and had a Fall trip to Canada. Ended up using my wife’s 2012 Pilot to tow my Ranger Reata 18.5 w/150. I got there and back, but the back end of the Pilot always sagged a bit after that, suspension never seemed quite right again.

tim hurley

Ok here I go way out on a limb- but God bless America and free speech! So if you have a big heavy motor doesn’t that reduce the actual tounge weight because that weight is on the other side of the fulcrum created at the rear axel of the trailer? I get that the weight still has to be pulled but doesn’t the heavy motor take stress off of the rear end?

B-man

Ok here I go way out on a limb- but God bless America and free speech! So if you have a big heavy motor doesn’t that reduce the actual tounge weight because that weight is on the other side of the fulcrum created at the rear axel of the trailer? I get that the weight still has to be pulled but doesn’t the heavy motor take stress off of the rear end?

No.

A properly set up trailer has 10-15% of the gross load as tongue weight.

The heavier your trailer (boat), the heavier your tongue weight.

tim hurley

When I lift my Jon boat trailer the tounge will be all the way down either in the grass or on my driveway. When I have a motor on the back that initial vertical lift is a lot easier. When I pull the rig with the motor I then feel that weight. Again the axel is a fulcrum counterbalancing the weight like a teeter totter. Maybe not the same with larger rigs,just know what my old back feels when I vertically lift my Jonny.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

A properly set up rig will have the boat moved forward or back for proper tongue weight. That’s why the winch post is adjustable.You are not doing that Tim.

queenswake
    NULL

I like that the new 2020 Ford Explorer is going back to RWD and more of a true SUV instead of this crossover nonsense. Hopefully others follow suit.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I like that the new 2020 Ford Explorer is going back to RWD and more of a true SUV instead of this crossover nonsense. Hopefully others follow suit.

Yeah and not on a Taurus frame either. Pissed that I’m going to have to buy a new one now….. smash

MNdrifter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>queenswake wrote:</div>

Yeah and not on a Taurus frame either. Pissed that I’m going to have to buy a new one now….. smash

Seen this running around St. Cloud. Here’s the 2021 prototype:

Attachments:
    1. 278F7DB5-7552-4A7A-96E4-3886249BABAE.jpeg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Dang…I’m actually kinda impressed!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

looking at the 2020 pilot the max towing capacity is 5k pounds. Intriguing option for towing a boat but at almost 50k for that configuration I think sticking with a truck makes more sense for me

mustangsally

If you have a tire or bearing failure at highway speeds you could have a life changing experience with that configuration. Don’t forget to maintain the trailer and keep your tire pressures at max on vehicle and trailer. I once borrowed a small utility trailer and had a bearing fail on the freeway and almost took out the guy in the lane next to me…my 1/2 ton suburban didn’t even feel the trailer swaying all over. IMO you are pushing the limit of that vehicle no matter what honda says.

Keith

Trailer brakes are also an important feature for stopping.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

IMO you are pushing the limit of that vehicle no matter what honda says.

…but you have no personal experience.

mustangsally

Only 25 years as a master automotive technician…I’ve seen a few things

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.