Anyone been out northshore? Tofte-grand marais

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Anyone been out much? going to be headed out after the 4th of July. Generally go out of tofte once in awhile grand marais.

Walleye Hungry

I’m heading up there the weekend of the 15th of July for my first trip ever to grand Marais. Looking to do some shore fishing (for any type of fish), whether it be on the big lake or in the streams for trout? Can anyone point me in the right direction of whether it would be worth my time casting from shore or head on the rivers or the mouths of where the river enters the big lake? Any information will really help as i have never been within 50 miles of this area. I am just trying to educate myself as much as possible. Good Luck everyone.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m heading up there the weekend of the 15th of July for my first trip ever to grand Marais. Looking to do some shore fishing (for any type of fish), whether it be on the big lake or in the streams for trout? Can anyone point me in the right direction of whether it would be worth my time casting from shore or head on the rivers or the mouths of where the river enters the big lake? Any information will really help as i have never been within 50 miles of this area. I am just trying to educate myself as much as possible. Good Luck everyone.

If you head up thru Duluth, stop at Marine General on London Road. They have good information as well as a crazy good selection of tackle designed for the big lake. Keep in mind the single hook requirement on artificial baits when fishing within, I believe, 100 feet of river mouths that empty into the lake. It might be 100 yards. Either way, find out and have tackle allowed if you fish inside the 100 whatever.

For casting you can get by with 6-8 pound mono as long as its fresh line. Use a ball-bearing swivel on EVERY bait/lure. Spinners to a size 4 are handy as are blade lures in the 2/5 ounce to 1/2 ounce range. Gold/orange is a standard color combo. Silver/blue, silver/green, and rainbow trout are other very common , productive colors for hard baits.

Depending on where you’re fishing you would do well to have a net. Frabil makes a nice mid-sized net with an extendable handle that works well in most shore instances.

bigpike

If you like being a frog or a duck go for it, otherwise wait a few days…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.