Any Suggestions This Weekend?

• Brewer

I haven’t spent much time fishing Mille Lacs in the fall. I’m taking a date up there Saturday (if the wind cooperates) to try to find some walleye and smallies. We’ll launch on the northeast part of the lake. I think last time I focused on shoreline rocks in 8-12 fow and did ok. Any recommendations on structure and bait would be appreciated.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Looking at the forecast I suggest going on sunday. Wind alert is forecasting 15-25mph wind on Saturday.
    It’s all about the rocks right now. Last time I was up I caught fish from 6-8ft out to 28ft. Keep mobile and let the fish tell you where to be.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It does look very windy on Saturday.

Grubson gives good advice about that lake. He’s helped me in the past.

I was up there 8 days ago and did well. I mostly targeted shallower structure in the 6-12 foot range with a jerk bait. I had smallmouth, walleye, and pike willingly eating it. A crank bait that bumped rocks also produced some fish. It was 56 degrees just over a week ago, but I’m sure its lower now. Generally speaking, the colder the water, the slower you want to fish. I didn’t need to slow down last week to any kind of finesse presentation.

I would run into a school of fish, often multi-species, and catch one or two. Then it would go dead for a while. Then 30-60 minutes later, another school. And so on.

Trim your motor way up going out of the access too. As high as it will go. The lake is very low. I saw some boats using their bow mounts instead to get out to the main lake.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Good advice so far. I spent some time recently in that part of the lake in the sand and didn’t do much. I’d focus on rocks. Have heard sucker minnows are good right now. Tipped on a jig or rigging.

Brewer

Thanks for all the advice! As was suggested, we’re going to fish Sunday instead due to the wind. I’ll report back on how the day goes.

Brewer

We got a little later start than expected, but still got about 3.5 hours on the water. Slow start. It took us a while to find fish. Ended up drifting and dragging jog/minnow in 12-14 feet near rocks. Caught a couple walleye and one really nice northern

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.