Any one have a good ham glaze ?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m going to smoke a ham on the reqtec tomorrow and I’m looking for a good ending glaze for the last hour of the process.
    Does any one have a easy glaze to make at home that they would share ?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’ve never smoked a ham that sounds good! I might suggest something like lots of honey and brown sugar?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Molasses and mustard.

It’s actually recipe from recteq and very good.

tlc954
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Here’s what’s going on my smoked ham for tomorrow:

Bourbon-Maple Ham glaze

1/2 cup favorite bourbon. I prefer Blue Note Juke Joint.
    Pour an extra oz.in a glass and drink it to ensure flavor and freshness.

1/2 cup maple syrup.
    Repeat bourbon taste test to confirm prior results.

1/4 cup ketsup.
    Repeat boubon confirmation taste test.

1/4 cup brown sugar.
    If your still unsure of bourbon quality, repeat taste test.

1 TBL Apple Cider Vinegar.

1 TBL of your favorite sweet rub.

Prior to any more bourbon testing, whisk all ingredients into a suitable sized sauce pan and cook on med. heat for ~20 min, stirring often to keep sugars from burning. Reduce heat to low and simmer another 10 min. with an occasional stir. Remove from heat and let cool. You’re good to go.
    Resume bourbon quality testing…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maple syrup.

Krh129

Mix apricot preserve and whatever bbq sauce you like ( I like a little spicer bbq sauce in this) in equal amounts.

BrianF

Maple syrup.

Mike, it probably goes without saying but you mean REAL maple syrup – from the trees – correct? Some people think Aunt Jemima is Maple Syrup.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike W wrote:</div>
    Maple syrup.

Mike, it probably goes without saying but you mean REAL maple syrup – from the trees – correct? Some people think Aunt Jemima is Maple Syrup.

We have a bunch of fresh maple syrup.
    Mike, explain more. Just fresh maple syrup alone ? Dump it on and let her cook the last hour ? Sounds simple and I can make that happen .

tim hurley

Sometimes like when it has an orange flavor-so I’ll take a standard recipe and add zest &/or Grand Marnier. yum

rwmcvean

More importantly, I can only find precooked smoked hams at target, can b, whatever and I don’t want to smoke something and turn it into shoe leather. What do you buy and from where, butcher? You’re not curing the thing and doing the whole process are you?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I use maple syrup, honey, and brown sugar. Mine is going on the rotisserie.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Doing ours today in the crock pot. Brushed with maple syrup then about an inch of 50/50 water and pineapple juice in the bottom. We’ll see.

Jimmy Jones

Doing ours today in the crock pot. Brushed with maple syrup then about an inch of 50/50 water and pineapple juice in the bottom. We’ll see.

I’d mix the maple syrup and pineapple juice together along with a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger root and a little cinnamon.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I know we’re in the minority but my wife and I don’t care for honey or brown sugar on ham. We mix 1/3 cup brown mustard with 1/4 cup real maple syrup and a TBS of apple cider vinegar.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

More importantly, I can only find precooked smoked hams at target, can b, whatever and I don’t want to smoke something and turn it into shoe leather. What do you buy and from where, butcher? You’re not curing the thing and doing the whole process are you?

This is a fresh from the farm hog we bought. I cure myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions gentleman much appreciated

MX1825

Hey tlc, after that much bourbon to you even care how the ham tastes?
    doah whistling

tlc954
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hah! Maybe that’s the point?? But I got a “2 thumbs up” from the grandsons on the double smoked ham. That’s all the proof I need. waytogo

Ripjiggen

I double smoke hams all the time and don’t dry them out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just used fresh made maple syrup a little brown sugar. I rubbed it with with some sweet and spicy run that I make.
    Turned out delicious. Will make for some good left over ham sandwiches up on rainy.

Attachments:
    1. 20240331_180946-scaled.jpg

2. 20240331_180439-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Best damn ham I have ever had. Very tasty, very moist with a awesome sweet with a slight kick for the bark. toast

Happy Easter everyone

MX1825

Looks awesome BC! waytogo

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

looks damn good!!!

Ripjiggen

I just used fresh made maple syrup a little brown sugar. I rubbed it with with some sweet and spicy run that I make.
    Turned out delicious. Will make for some good left over ham sandwiches up on rainy.

Looks great. It is like pork butt they are kind of hard to screw up the flavor.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.