Any downside to the poly auger bits?

• MX1825

The 2nd year I went to a Clam plate. No safety shield needed. The Lite flite is bolted to the CP shaft.

ekruger01

I like to try new stuff every so often so ive ran the K drill in both 6 and 7.5″, the pistol in 6″ and 8″, the old strikemaster strike lite bit in 8″ and the Razr synthetic ultra from this year in 6″. Have run all of them on and off the clam plate. Was happy with all of them except the RAZR Synthetic. It would wedge itself in the hole and was hard to pull back out once it broke through. I took it on two trips, and broke the bottom two flightings on both trips.

Sent the RAZR in and they ended up getting me a refund and now im back to the 6″ pistol which is my favorite minus not having a center point. Smooth, Fast, and light.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>
    What’s the safety shield?

The frisbee disc thingy

I thought that was there in case the drill comes off the auger and it keeps the auger from falling down the hole

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I thought that was there in case the drill comes off the auger and it keeps the auger from falling down the hole

The 2nd year I went to a Clam plate. No safety shield needed. The Lite flite is bolted to the CP shaft.

That’s what the shield is for. However, it’s should not be needed when the auger is BOLTED to the shaft that is driving the auger.

CaptainMusky

Pretty sure that is what its for. A drill chuck is prone to loosening up. I remember when those drill things first came out and tons of guys were losing them down the hole because one brand didnt have them.

Coletrain27

Gotcha. I guess I still have mine on and mine is bolted to my clam plate lol

tswoboda

Safety from going down the hole, I guess ???

Ha but it really does make tightening the chuck with gloves on a PITA. Gets in the way on the auger rack too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My hilti chuck has never loosened up not even once. My old man’s Dewalt does every other time u use it.

tswoboda

Tell him to back the Dewalt off one click after tightening, that locks the chuck.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tell him to back the Dewalt off one click after tightening, that locks the chuck.

This I didn’t know. I will pass the message. Thank you

Brittman

There are some deep discounts out there if you are looking at just the auger or an entire new unit.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

There are some deep discounts out there if you are looking at just the auger or an entire new unit.

Where are you seeing the best ones? I haven’t really priced them out yet. Looking for the whole unit in a 40v

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

My hilti chuck has never loosened up not even once. My old man’s Dewalt does every other time u use it.

It’s not that the chuck loosens up, it’s that it sometimes doesn’t close on the three flat edges. It sometimes tightens on the ridges and slips over them when torqued. I tighten it by hand and then wiggle/twist it a little to be sure it’s seated right.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I will say I’ve almost lost that hex bolt that keeps the bit on a few times. That sucker loosens up quickly.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I will say I’ve almost lost that hex bolt that keeps the bit on a few times. That sucker loosens up quickly.

Electrical tape around it waytogo

Hoyt4
    NULL

Joes sporting goods has the lites flite for sale. 120 for the 6 inch and 140 for the 8 inch.

Jason

If you drill thru thick ice 36″+ with an 8″ lite flite and don’t peck it offen enough the top lite flite plastic edges will wear fast and actually fold down and stay there. It gets bad enougb that you need to replace them. Lots of holes on LOW in March can test any auger out.

Ripjiggen

Yes clean your hole with poly but as you don’t want to get it stuck like a metal bit, but the lighter flite makes this kind of a no brainer in the first place. I think having a heavy metal auger before was just more so just a lot of work to do so. Now not so much. A couple of lifts through thick ice is always a good idea.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If I bought one today it would be the ion steel. Not worth $150 more to save 4 lbs and I am sure of its durability. I still remember lugging around my gas augers and am more than happy with the weight savings the steel auger offers. When the time comes to buy one I may change my mind.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

If I bought one today it would be the ion steel. Not worth $150 more to save 4 lbs and I am sure of its durability. I still remember lugging around my gas augers and am more than happy with the weight savings the steel auger offers. When the time comes to buy one I may change my mind.

I thought the same thing. But after using one I’m not so sure. It was kinda mind blowing to walk around punching holes with such a light auger. Especially in snow where each step is a workout on its own.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

mahtofire the tape works but the blue loc-tite will do the job.

Greg D

2nd year with my 8″. I find that the ONE SHOT hole skimmer is larger than the 8′ poly flyte and won’t fit in the hole. Never had that issue with my 8′ metal flyte.

Attachments:
    1. Deep-Freeze-One-Shot-Skimmer-ice-fishing-scoop__94061.jpg

Coletrain27

I have that same scoop and used it the other day for the first time and it worked fine with my lite flight…

Brittman

Joes and now MFF have 20% – 25% of augers and the full units. Scheels is heavily discounting the auger, but the full units are still higher cost.

Most ice rods, rod combos and ice shelters also hitting sale prices right now.

I would expect heavy sales on most all ice fishing gear starting about now.

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.