Any downside to the poly auger bits?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I was pretty set on buying the Strikemaster 40v with the standard steel auger. But my buddy just bought the Ion 40v with the lightweight Poly auger. I was amazed how well it worked but also how light it was. It weighs 16 pounds including battery.

Just wondering if there is any durability issues or some other downside

Coletrain27

3rd year on my lite flight and it still functions like new with no issues

bigstorm
    Southern WI

5th year with my 6in K-Drill, 4th year with my 8in Lite Flite, no issues at all

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They didn’t make enough to sell me one without the power head. flame

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yeah you can’t buy a lite flight without buying the whole auger in the 40V. They claim next year they will have them available.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah you can’t buy a lite flight without buying the whole auger in the 40V. They claim next year they will have them available.

What size are you talking. I see them in 6 and 8 in stock everywhere. The 10, I think is a marketing scheme to push more auger heads

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I want the power head but now thinking I’ll go with the poly/resin auger instead of steel.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

What size are you talking. I see them in 6 and 8 in stock everywhere. The 10, I think is a marketing scheme to push more auger heads

Yeah I run the 10, for in the wheel house.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I want the power head but now thinking I’ll go with the poly/resin auger instead of steel.

I would lite flight for sure if I was buying again.

AnotherFisherman

I have an Ion G2 with the poly auger. Have had zero issues in the season and a half I’ve had it so not that long of use. But I would recommend

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Anyone have any specific known preferences between the 8″ pistol bit and the 8″ lite flight?

I’ve got the 7.5″ K-Drill now and it works fine (best out there for redrilling or dirty ice), but might pick up the 8″ in something else in the offseason for the extra size and shaver blades leading to longer battery life.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Anyone have any specific known preferences between the 8″ pistol bit and the 8″ lite flight?

I’ve got the 7.5″ K-Drill now and it works fine (best out there for redrilling or dirty ice), but might pick up the 8″ in something else in the offseason for the extra size and shaver blades leading to longer battery life.

Never used the pistol. But I love the lite flite. 3 seasons on it tons and tons of holes. Not a single complaint

B-man

I used an 8″ pistol bit on a buddy’s drill.

For a new drill set-up that’s the only way I’d go.

Shaver blades are so much easier on your wrists compared to Lazer blades.

A drill and a Pistol bit is noticeably faster than a 40V SM in sub 18″ of ice and lighter as well.

tswoboda

Pistol is red and Lite Flite is black jester

Pistol is a couple lbs lighter and uses the Mora style blades while the Lite Flite uses Lazer style blades. Mora blades are less aggressive so you fell less torque but cut a hair slower. They’re also a bit cheaper and easier to sharpen. K-Drill is junk in comparison to either IMO.

BAR

I love my pistol bit, it works great.

FinnyDinDin

I have the 40V SM. I am thinking of upgrading augers (auger bit only, not head unit) to cut down on weight. Would a pistol bit or lite flight be better?

Ryan Overson

None, however it amazes me they’re more expensive than steel, as if the mark-up is purely for being more lightweight.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’ve had both. My preference is the Pistol Bit. Both are far superior the the KDrill in my book. Both are smooth and equally fast. The lite flight has that nasty tendency to jam on breakthrough which drove me nuts and the Pistol reopened hole better. The Pistol was on a Fuel drill and the SM was a 24 volt.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Pistol bit is smooth and does NOT catch at the bottom of the hole because of the ring around the bottom. The light flight can catch sometimes at break through. It don’t catch all the time but I have seen them catch pretty good sometimes. Pistol bit opens old holes great with no problems.

MX1825

I’ve never had my Lite Flite catch at the bottom of the hole. I run it on a Clam plate and a dewalt drill. Opens holes just fine for me.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I got the 8in Pistol this year and i like it.I used to run a 7in steel lazer bit, my Pistol seems to have alot more torque.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The edges of the auger baffles on my lite flight are starting to get a little worn. Wondering if my blades are slightly off as it’s gotten a little wobbly when cutting as well. Had it for a year plus. No issues other than that.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

if you look close on your lite flite, you will see some “wear” on the lower part of your flighting, at least mine has it but i fish a lot? i keep getting a wobble after a while where my collar bolt keeps getting loose. used some blue loctite but might just go with the red to fix it permanently? best thing i did was get rid of that stupid safety disk which prevents me from getting my hand onto my chuck. no complaints my way….still cuts like butter

MX1825

if you look close on your lite flite, you will see some “wear” on the lower part of your flighting, at least mine has it but i fish a lot? i keep getting a wobble after a while where my collar bolt keeps getting loose. used some blue loctite but might just go with the red to fix it permanently? best thing i did was get rid of that stupid safety disk which prevents me from getting my hand onto my chuck. no complaints my way….still cuts like butter

That safety shield was taken off before I ever drilled a hole. I used lock tite and black tape over the shaft bolt.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

My chuck doesn’t always hit just right to the pistol, probably because you can’t see if it’s in 100 right because of the shield but there have been a couple times I was real glad the shield was on. I’ve seen this on the lite flight also. The part that fits in the chuck is too rounded on both. Weakest link in the drill & auger system.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.