Another Benefit of a Mild winter

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

FAR less spring potholes. This spring seems like the least BIG potholes I’ve remember seeing in a long time. I have to guess the mild winter played a huge role in that.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I must have averaged 5 pheasants every mile driving from Brookings through Brandt SD last week. Seemed like amazing numbers. Got to SW MN and the farmers has ditches mowed and turf grass growing and the numbers dropped dramatically. tHaNk a fArMeR

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I must have averaged 5 pheasants every mile driving from Brookings through Brandt SD last week. Seemed like amazing numbers. Got to SW MN and the farmers has ditches mowed and turf grass growing and the numbers dropped dramatically. tHaNk a fArMeR

That is also one. The wildlife for the most part faired rather well last winter. My guess is that there will be almost 2X more fawns born this spring than last spring.

Stanley

My son saw a fawn last Sunday already. Hopefully it’s a sign of a more healthy deer population in some areas.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My son saw a fawn last Sunday already. Hopefully it’s a sign of a more healthy deer population in some areas.

Was that here in Minnesota. If so that is a really early birth. Normally here in Minnesota it is from Mid may to Early June I believe.

CaptainMusky

He lives in Rice so I am sure it was.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

He lives in Rice so I am sure it was.

That would be the earliest I’ve seen or heard of a fawn being born. It most likely would have needed to be conceived in Mid Sept. I guess that may be possible.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Everything benefited. Squirrels, turkey, etc, etc. Certainly the most livable winter I have ever seen.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Everything benefited. Squirrels, turkey, etc, etc. Certainly the most livable winter I have ever seen.

And woodticks.
    Going to be a bummer crop of them little bass turds.
    Already out in force.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

And woodticks.
    Going to be a bummer crop of them little bass turds.
    Already out in force.

That is no Benefit. I hate those things. Once I get one on me I can’t stop feeling them all over me.

LabDaddy1

Lol you wouldn’t do too well grouse hunting where me and my dog do in east central MN. Not saying anybody should or would even care to either. F those things. Have already found a couple on me after cuddling with the pupper at home in the cities too.

Should be a good year for most wildlife, agreed!

JEREMY
    BP

Found one on me when in a seated position in the bathroom. Wonder where it had been hiding out.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Yesterday, in Woodbury, I saw a hen mallard swimming with three ducklings on a little storm water pond by Powers Lake. They were just little fuzz balls. I was really surprised to see ducklings so early. I thought the hens were probably just starting in incubate eggs about now, but she must have started about a month ago.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I saw goslings yesterday. 6 of them. They were all about the size of a softball. Honestly don’t ever recall seeing goslings in April here.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Sounds like lots of births happening much earlier than normal this year. Been a crazy weather year for sure. I’m sure mother nature is as confused as some of us are.

mojogunter

Well with no snow I didn’t have voles tear the crap out of my lawn over the winter for the first time in a long time. applause

Ice Cap

I’m guessing the wolves went pretty hungry this winter with the deer being able to run through the woods with no snow. Seen one out ice fishing this year. He was about 40 yards from the fish house. I stepped out to urine and looked to my left and there he stood just looking at me. No fear, no panic in him. I zipped up and he just trotted off.

Wolves have been losing their fear of humans. Not a good thing.

Erik Swenson

Agree, we should all thank farmers for risking life and limb to make sure we have food overflowing the shelves at our grocery stores. toast

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

In my area the township mows ditches and I believe they have to wait until July or August 1st to do it. I’m not sure how it goes out there but make sure you’re “thanking” the right people.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ve picked off a handful or so of Ticks so far down here in Farmington.

27eyeguy

Yep, starting to see ticks here also. Imagine the skeeters will be horrid like last year, had some of them around the yard last week. Personally, I’m ready for winter. That would be a neat coincidence, no snow plowing and then no mowing. More time for important stuff like fishing n hunting.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I killed a tick tonight crawling on me and had 3 the other day while working along the wood line behind the house.

As for the ditch mowing, I keep ours fairly short 6-8” or so …because the deer population is so high that they’re hit constantly in front of our place and along our fields here. The township mows them once in early to mid July and generally butchers them with scalped areas, swaths missed, and mulches the s*** out of litter. I finally went to a meeting last year and asked them to save tax dollars and I’ll keep the whole thing tidy.

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>

Was that here in Minnesota. If so that is a really early birth. Normally here in Minnesota it is from Mid may to Early June I believe.

Yes Minnesota. It was between Royalton and little falls on his way to trap shooting in little falls.

CaptainMusky

Stanley so glad your kid shoots trap with the thousands of others! Delaying my Canada trip because my kid will shoot the day we normally leave. He’s a senior and the top shooter on his team the last 3 years.

Stanley

Thanks. This is their first year doing it through school. One is 17 the other is 15 and so far they seem to like it.

CaptainMusky

Thanks. This is their first year doing it through school. One is 17 the other is 15 and so far they seem to like it.

Sauk Rapids Rice I am guessing? My middle son is a senior this year.

Sylvanboat

I saved myself the cost of a Livescope ice bundle. Why spend the money when I icefished one day.

CaptainMusky

I saved myself the cost of a Livescope ice bundle. Why spend the money when I icefished one day.

That is one more than me this year. My kid enjoyed the heck out of using mine however.

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>

Sauk Rapids Rice I am guessing? My middle son is a senior this year.

They go to Royalton. I have a junior, freshman and 8th grader.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.