Anger Management

• Riverrat

Its simple. Clean out the water in your boat. Don’t transport water from one source to another. I’ve dealt with people like this before. Don’t be this guy, those are usually kids and retirees out there doing this job for the local county government. Our river is infested with zebra mussels, trust me you don’t want them in your water.
    https://wjon.com/someone-in-northern-minnesota-needs-anger-management/

Umy
    South Metro

Some people, thankfully i’ve only seen nice people who get this process.
    THe jerk is the same person who will bitch endlessly about crappy conditions of the lake as a result or simply is such a prick he doesn’t care about anyone but himself.
    There’s a gal on a metro lake who has one of those vans she and her husband have converted into a travel trailer of sorts. Have had some great conversations with her the last couple of years – just doing her job.
    No offense to anyone on here but the kind of person who needs the s-it kicked out of him .

glenn57
    cold spring mn

read that on bring me the news yesterday!!!!!!!!!

i’ve had nothing but great conversations with those inspectors!!!!! waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So is the “inspector” an employee of the DNR or other conservation agency or is he just out there as a volunteer on his own? By no means should an angler lose his temper and run over a chair, but you really should not be out there trying to enforce or remind people of state law if you are not supposed to be. Maybe they are part of the lake association or something. I know a few lake associations around here have received authorization from the DNR to remind people about this at the access.

Way back in the mid 2000’s, I was a surveyor for the DNR at Mille Lacs and then again one season on three smaller lakes near Aitkin. I wore a uniform and some people were a little hesitant to answer the questions I had, but once I told them I was not a CO and only trying to gather information about the lakes, they almost always cooperated. A couple times people did have illegal fish and I asked them to return them to the water, which they did not. A quick speed dial to the local CO took care of that.

I can recall three specific times when the anglers flat out refused to talk to me or answer any questions. I simply stated that was their choice and told them to have a nice day. I then called the CO and informed him of this. Usually when people completely avoided me, they were hiding something.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

They can look. They cannot touch. I do not have to answer any questions.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

. I simply stated that was their choice and told them to have a nice day. I then called the CO and informed him of this. Usually when people completely avoided me, they were hiding something

Or they know the law and don’t appreciate your presence or propaganda… have a NICE day.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“They can look. They cannot touch. I do not have to answer any questions.”

This. I had a guy tell me “he had the right to look in my live well”. B.S. He was not a DNR employee, he was representing the local lake shore owners association (the same people that dump herbicide into the lake and kill ALL the weeds several times every summer). I told him nope, stay out of my boat. He said “I’m calling my supervisor!”. Go ahead, and call your mommy too. Next time it was a different guy and he had a different attitude, checked the outside of the boat and trailer and then walked away.

SR

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    . I simply stated that was their choice and told them to have a nice day. I then called the CO and informed him of this. Usually when people completely avoided me, they were hiding something

Or they know the law and don’t appreciate your presence or propaganda… have a NICE day.

Geez, sounds like someone else needs some anger management.

I knew what I could and couldn’t do, and I was only doing my job. Chill out.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“I can recall three specific times when the anglers flat out refused to talk to me or answer any questions. I simply stated that was their choice and told them to have a nice day. I then called the CO and informed him of this. Usually when people completely avoided me, they were hiding something.”

Or they understood their rights. You’re never under any obligation to answer questions. Assuming a person “has something to hide” is unconstitutional and down right scary. Nobody is guilty until they can prove they’re innocent.

SR

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

“They can look. They cannot touch. I do not have to answer any questions.”

This. I had a guy tell me “he had the right to look in my live well”. B.S. He was not a DNR employee, he was representing the local lake shore owners association (the same people that dump herbicide into the lake and kill ALL the weeds several times every summer). I told him nope, stay out of my boat. He said “I’m calling my supervisor!”. Go ahead, and call your mommy too. Next time it was a different guy and he had a different attitude, checked the outside of the boat and trailer and then walked away.

SR

I’ve dealt with the same and had the same response.
    The kids checking my boat for weeds I usually answer questions and then point out how there’s still weeds after they tell me I’m good to go. I also ignore them half the time

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So is the “inspector” an employee of the DNR or other conservation agency or is he just out there as a volunteer on his own? By no means should an angler lose his temper and run over a chair, but you really should not be out there trying to enforce or remind people of state law if you are not supposed to be. Maybe they are part of the lake association or something. I know a few lake associations around here have received authorization from the DNR to remind people about this at the access.

Way back in the mid 2000’s, I was a surveyor for the DNR at Mille Lacs and then again one season on three smaller lakes near Aitkin. I wore a uniform and some people were a little hesitant to answer the questions I had, but once I told them I was not a CO and only trying to gather information about the lakes, they almost always cooperated. A couple times people did have illegal fish and I asked them to return them to the water, which they did not. A quick speed dial to the local CO took care of that.

I can recall three specific times when the anglers flat out refused to talk to me or answer any questions. I simply stated that was their choice and told them to have a nice day. I then called the CO and informed him of this. Usually when people completely avoided me, they were hiding something.

How do you know they had something to hide if they ignored you ?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I am chill. And, not the one infringing on my rights. Simple as that. Know the law. Know your rights.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Or they understood their rights. You’re never under any obligation to answer questions. Assuming a person “has something to hide” is unconstitutional and down right scary. Nobody is guilty until they can prove they’re innocent.

Gathering data helps manage the fishery. I fully understand that its completely voluntary, and 99% of people wanted to help accomplish that goal.

topshotta

Technically, the local inspectors and the DNR watercraft inspectors do have the authority to inspect “visually and tactilely” in any area that may hold water, so they can touch your boat or look in a water-holding compartment. I have never seen one just start reaching in my boat without asking permission or explaining what they want to see. Legally, you do not have to answer the questions. I have seen guys act all tough with these inspectors also, usually some guy with short-dick syndrome berating a college kid or grandma.

Riverrat

Know the law means you would actually know who the enforcement officers are. And the fact you agreed to the law when you signed your registration. They work for the DNR, and local county land and resources. And when those county employees call there local sheriff because “You know the law” I’m sure it will go over real cool with them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How do you know they had something to hide if they ignored you ?

I didn’t. I only suspected it. It wasn’t my job to enforce any law in that position. When I was hired for that position, they made it clear that it was completely voluntary. They also made it clear that if I suspected or witnessed a violation, that I could only ask them to comply. Anything beyond that was up to the CO.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They are volunteers for the dnr and do not work for the dnr. You do not have to talk to them. But most the time I do just to bs.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They are volunteers for the dnr and do not work for the dnr.

Some of them are employees. You’re 100% right, you do not have to talk to them, that is completely up to you.

Back when I did it, I used a pen and paper too. Now they have fancy tablets that enter the information directly into the database.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

visually and tactilely

Exactly how one inspector responded. I asked who is responsible for any damage you cause or is caused to you.

Blank stare.

Prove to me responsibility is solely theirs and they may take a nap in my boat for all I care.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Know the law means you would actually know who the enforcement officers are. And the fact you agreed to the law when you signed your registration. They work for the DNR, and local county land and resources. And when those county employees call there local sheriff because “You know the law” I’m sure it will go over real cool with them.

Not to be rude but I don’t think you know what your talking about. The co can check all your stuff. You are guilty until proven innocent. The water boat launch inspection doesn’t have the same power. If they are snarky I keep doing my thing. If they are friendly I talk to them

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If they are snarky I keep doing my thing. If they are friendly I talk to them

I’ve never encountered a watercraft inspector that was a jerk. If they are being a jackass about it, I wouldn’t respond very kindly either.

Riverrat

Maybe they’re volunteers down there but in Ottertail they are paid. Usually its a paid summer internship. Are they law enforcement, no. Do the Co’s and US Fish and Wildlife get pissed if you mess with them. Absolutely.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Secretary in the sheriff office doesn’t have the same power as a deputy or sheriff unless the deputy or sheriff is also acting secretary.

Same with inspectors who are not a conservation officer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    If they are snarky I keep doing my thing. If they are friendly I talk to them

I’ve never encountered a watercraft inspector that was a jerk. If they are being a jackass about it, I wouldn’t respond very kindly either.

You’ve never met the old guy on Chisago or south center.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You’ve never met the old guy on Chisago or south center.

LOL, no I have not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

No matter what though there is no reason to run people’s stuff over. That’s just non sense

CaptainMusky

Personally I think the live bait water thing is pretty dumb provided it never touches the lake water. I mean, you get it from the bait shop, keep it in the boat and have to drain it? I mean the guy was a total tool for doing what he did, but simply having some bottled water in the boat would have solved his problem.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

most inspectors are nice, do a quick visual inspection and ask a few questions about where the boat’s been. seems to be either a local lake association person or a college student hired for the summer. i’m happy to cooperate with them as they’ve figured out their system so it doesn’t even slow me down as i’m prepping the boat.

they have more legal rights than most people suspect if they’re an official part of the Watercraft Inspection Program, including prohibiting you from launching if you don’t allow an inspection. they aren’t going to physically prevent you, but they can call the CO or Sheriff and you risk being ticketed.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/watercraft_inspect/index.html

i’ve only run into a few jerks, and it’s inevitably someone older and overly zealous that inspections will protect “their” lake from getting invasives. they get malicious compliance from me; i still follow the law and allow an inspection but i don’t have to help them. “yes, feel free to climb up in my boat and complete an inspection of my compartments. i’ll be over here by my truck waiting. what’s that? you’re physically unable to do that? sorry for your bad luck.”

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I personally feel conflicted about these non DNR inspectors. My wife’s family cabin is on a lake where they have association inspectors at the launch all the time. These are volunteers or maybe they are paid by the association, doesnt matter, they dont work for the DNR. They always ask me where my boat was last and my answer is usually Minnetonka, to which they gasp in horror and make a big fuss about me putting the boat in the lake. I find it annoying but im the courteous type so i generally answer their questions and move along. Im not someone who thinks i need to defend my rights on a daily basis in every single scenario where its possible somebody is infringing. That level of paranoia sounds exhausting and i dont think a volunteer inspector for boat launches is gonna bring down the constitution

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I did the ais inspections on mille lacs when I was in college. Made some friends in isle, had a good time overall. Never got a complaint, did get some compliments. Also learned that I in fact did not want a career with the state, it was very valuable in that respect.

I do know of fellow interns who had shitty attitudes, and the immediate supervisor of the interns was a real life officer farva. Those ones set the tone for the rest of the interns.

Nowadays I run Into them occasionally, usually they ask what I did after then want career advice which I happily give. Nice kids most of the time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.