And why in the Hell didn't I buy this sooner?

• catmando
    wis

Bought my first split ring pliers, damn they are great! Here’s to 45 years of aggravation.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Hmmm, I guess I never had a problem using a flat skrewdriver or knife. I’ve had a pair and never even used them for split rings all this time! Don’t really use crankbaits or have a key business.
    On a side note 2 tools I wish I had purchased sooner

1. Sliding mitre saw
    2. Impact driver

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I agree. What a great tool. I immediately went to work replacing treble hooks as soon as I got them.

Now, where the hell did they end up? Guess this is like most other tools I have, fishing or otherwise, need at least 3 or 4 of them so I can find at least one of them laying around when I start to look. Just like needle nose for fishing…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here’s to 45 years of aggravation.

jester jester jester jester

I’ve been in the DIY game for so long that I don’t remember a day without them. I do remember my frustrations with cheap S/R Pliers. The first ones I owned were POS and more difficult to use. I saw a Jeweler using a set that was perfect and ordered the same. Don’t know the brand name and its about 35 years old and still works perfect

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Split ring pliers are (or certainly should be) a required tool in every muskie anglers tackle box.

I have had a set for over 30 years now, still the same one.

It’s not uncommon that rather than yanking, twisting, or otherwise wrenching a treble buried through a muskie or large pike jaw…it’s far less harmful to cut the buried hook to pieces.

A couple snips and the fish is free. Too often anglers without heavy hook cutters will cause significant damage yanking out hooks.

Once hooks are cut and the fish is successfully CPR’d, I reach into my box of spare trebles with the pliers in the same container and a replacement hook is done in minutes.

A quick sharpen and it’s back to fishing.

Heavy hook cutters, spare trebles and spare split rings along with pliers and a good hook sharpener should be in your box too.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

your thumb nail thanks you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.