Alumacraft quality?

• CRAIG HOLLAND

I had an alumacraft magnum 175 3 boats ago and liked it. Obviously sales guys will pitch what they are selling and the Lund guy was saying alumacraft quality has went down hill recently. Looking at thier Facebook page and reviews I see some negative comments from new owners. What’s your opinion of this. I have a Skeeter mx1825 now, love the layout and yammie but with the hull were deeper for bigger water and was looking at a competitor 185. I think this has higher deadrise and a pretty deep v. I was also told the only difference between the trophy and competitior was the wider gunnels. What is your take on A alumacraft quality and boat suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I went from Alum to fiberglass back to alum and back to fiberglass. Can’t imagine the reason I would ever go back to alum again.

That said, if researching a brand I ignore anybody who doesn’t own what brand i’m looking at. I also ignore comments from new owners. I haven’t met very many guys who admit they made a mistake buying X brand boat for $40,000 Look for reviews from guys who have had a brand for 5 or more years. You are more likely to get a more honest review.

Just my opinion.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My buddies alumacraft is about 3 years old and is corroding. Alumacraft won’t warranty it because they claim it was a rigging issue. Cabelas won’t cover it because they claim it’s a boat paint/finish issue. It’s a big headache.

Otherwise I was surprised how well it rides in small waves. He’s going glass next time without a doubt.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That said, if researching a brand I ignore anybody who doesn’t own what brand i’m looking at. I also ignore comments from new owners. I haven’t met very many guys who admit they made a mistake buying X brand boat for $40,000 Look for reviews from guys who have had a brand for 5 or more years. You are more likely to get a more honest review.

I’d like to understand how owing a boat for less than 5 years makes their opinion invalid. In my opinion, guys that own anything for more than 5 years have a brand loyalty and can’t give an honest opinion.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It was MY opinion, you can believe anything you want.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

My like button????????to what Dutchboy said

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

My like button????????to what Dutchboy said

nord

I’ve had my Alumacraft Navigator since 2007 with no problems. This was also my first Alumacraft. Previous to this I always had Lunds. In a month I will be picking up my 2019 Alumacraft Competitor. Then I will know if there has been any changes in their quality. I’ve bought both my Alumacrafts from La Cannes.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Not sure about Alumacraft quality.
    But, if a Salesperson wants sell their product by ripping the competitor, I walk away and would never buy their product.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I was also told the only difference between the trophy and competitior was the wider gunnels.

It used to be that the Trophy has more freeboard and was marketed as their bigwater boat. The competitor/dominator were the same hulls and closer to the water. Think wx vs mx in Skeeter language.

I’ve got a 2013 Dominator. No complaints on the boat. Had some small things happen that are to be expected. I don’t run it enough frown nor to I get to play in a lot of other boats to compare.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

guys that own anything for more than 5 years have a brand loyalty and can’t give an honest opinion.

Or they found a boat (or boats) that met their needs. All of the boat I have owned for less than 5 years were basically totaled. Including 3 Alumacrafts. Would I buy another Alumacraft? Yes, have one in the garage today. Also have had a Ranger for 10 years that holds up in the conditions I fish in. Great boat.

Problem is most guys (including me) early on can’t afford to get what they actually need. Settling for something that does the job for the time being. That may or may not produce a great boat review if you ask them what they think. For example, the Alumacrafts I was running in the 90’s just would not hold up to the abuse I was putting them through on Mille Lacs. I needed a big water glass boat, but settled for a used aluminum. Great river boats at the time. Terrible Mille Lacs boat.

Everyone’s opinion is valid. Just make sure you understand that persons perspective. I’ve said this before, most guys need about 5 boats. Finding the one that does it all is the challenge!

-J.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Weighing in with my thoughts echoing others here. Boat brands & models are very much like a set of tools. Every boat is similar to a given wrench and not every job requires the same size wrench. That in itself doesn’t make the wrench bad, just simply the wrong fit.

Quality ? I highly doubt that any boat company has completely eliminated the need for a warranty department.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Purchased 2013 Alumacraft Competitor 175 full windshield new. Love the boat and have not had any problem with the boat or motors. A few screws working lose from running but that is minor and expected. Only issues with performance was self induced due to the learning curve (went from a 16 footer with 40hp 2 stroke to 4 stroke 150hp and a 9.9 kicker and a roller trailer). Family loves the boat and ride. Purchased specifically for a more stable platform for the family and to fish bigger water safer (winnebago and lake michigan). Have never heard of a corrosion problem from all the guys I know who run alumacrafts (older and new rigs). Been pleased with the quality, would change some things in the layout but no complaints other than not used enough.

I have no brand loyalty but spent the time to research what I wanted to do with the boat, rode in some friends boat (glass and tin) how I fish, what the family needed, looked at the design, the engineering (yes I am a geek sometimes) and price points. No boat is perfect but match what you want to do with the boats (layout and design).

A good quality boat can feel like crap if it is not the right fit.

CRAIG HOLLAND

So is the competitior and trophy the same boat other than the gunnels? Specifically the deadrise in how high the boat sits on the water?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

So is the competitior and trophy the same boat other than the gunnels? Specifically the deadrise in how high the boat sits on the water?

Freeboard is how high it sits in the water. The Trophy used to have more height or freeboard over the water than the Competitor. Bought my boat 2 years ago I I’ve not kept up with 2018 or 2019 model years.

Not 100% sure but I think deadrise is the angle of the keel on how quickly it comes up from the hull towards the bow.

matthewkolden

2014 175 Dominator for me. After two seasons i’ve had no significant issues, just a couple minor things i’d expect from any brand. For example, the speedometer line dislodged and drenched my floor with water. 2 minute fix and haven’t seen that issue again. I also have some small spots where paint is peeling off, but nothing significant. I’m plenty happy with how to boat rides, handles etc. I’ve been out on Mille Lacs in 3 footers without issue. All of this said, I plan to switch to a glass boat within a few years. Frankly I don’t really need to, and I have no specific reason for doing it other than I just want to. I really like Rangers and Skeeters, and if the right one comes along I just might make the jump. I wouldn’t however hesitate to own another Alumacraft.

ruce Graham

I bought a 2018. Note, my first Alumacraft was a model from 1968. I still have it. My new 2018 is cheap, I wish I never bought it. The windshield is attached to the console with two little screws in soft plastic. Designed to fail so you have to buy it again. And warranty people at Alumacraft might as well be fired, all they do is turn down claims. Can’t ever talk to anyone about it and the dealer is about as much help as a tree stump. RUN AWAY. If your are interested I’lll show you the photos.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

You did post again Bruce, and I must say it is a good one. You sure do seem to like digging up old threads, maybe you should start your own post and share more of your wise words of inspiration with us all. I will be waiting on the edge of my seat for more of your great message.

scottaheller

We got a 2018 Alumacraft Edge 175 back in July of ’18. I looked at several boat brands and honestly didn’t see much difference in the quality and “fit and finish” of the comparable models and brands. Ultimately we chose this model because it fit out needs best and it was the best value. Recently I noticed a couple small cracks in the dash’s, both drivers and passenger side. I contacted my dealer, emailed some photos and within 3 weeks they had the boat repaired with new consoles and no cost to me.
    Is it the best quality boat in the world? No, but at that price point I think it is very good.
    I am sold on the hull design though. This boat rides better than some 20′ glass boats I’ve been in.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

02 Alumacrap 165Mag
    If…I ever buy an aluminum boat again it will not be rivited together. What a shakey, rickety and leaky joke a boat becomes after a few years hitting waves.
    Lets not even get started about using wood in boats this day in age with all the other extruded or honeycomb products being made. For what boat mfgrs are charging for the product coming out I dont see how they can even sleep at night.

Brad Dimond

02 Alumacrap 165Mag
    If…I ever buy an aluminum boat again it will not be rivited together. What a shakey, rickety and leaky joke a boat becomes after a few years hitting waves.
    Lets not even get started about using wood in boats this day in age with all the other extruded or honeycomb products being made. For what boat mfgrs are charging for the product coming out I dont see how they can even sleep at night.

Did you read the specs before you bought the boat? It’s all there – rivets, wood decking, etc. As scottaheller wrote above “Is it the best quality boat in the world? No, but at that price point I think it is very good.” Think about your intended use for a boat before you write the check.

Joe B

In addition to the wide gunnels (which adds a ton of storage or (5) 8′ rods) the Trophy also has the “Toe-Holds” in the cockpit which is nice when leaning over to land fish. The Competitor does have a larger bow but I wanted the larger cockpit. The biggest thing that separates Alumacraft from all the rest of the aluminum boats is the AWESOME paint jobs and exterior fit and finish.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Weighing in with my thoughts echoing others here. Boat brands & models are very much like a set of tools. Every boat is similar to a given wrench and not every job requires the same size wrench. That in itself doesn’t make the wrench bad, just simply the wrong fit.

Quality ? I highly doubt that any boat company has completely eliminated the need for a warranty department.

Exactly, well said! I’ve owned 10 boats in the last 26 years and in the thinking of trading my 2019 ranger now for a vexus. All have been great boats with one that was outstanding! That was my Grady White! That one was a special wrench!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d like to understand how owing a boat for less than 5 years makes their opinion invalid. In my opinion, guys that own anything for more than 5 years have a brand loyalty and can’t give an honest opinion.

I think his point is that when shelling out $$$, the owner wants to feel good about his decision so he’s likely to gloss over any issues that make him question his decision.

IMO, the most p1ssed off owners are EXACTLY the ones who have just shelled out big $$$ and have found the quality lacking.

Grouse

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Same 2XB hull but the Trophy has 25″ interior vs 22″ on the Competitior.

Jacob Jacobs

Cracked console issue with Alumacraft boats. Appears to be a common issue found online via help forums. If you can get in touch with Alumacraft, good luck. If you do get in touch with them regarding this issue, you will be told “the damage is not considered a defect in manufacturing and therefore is not eligible for warranty consideration.”

Also be sure to note the last sentence on their FB profile “The quality we put into our boats builds trust that lasts forever.”

Nope, nope and nope. Anybody wanna buy a boat?

Attachments:
    1. 20210512_092321-scaled.jpg

2. 20210512_092305-scaled.jpg

3. 20210512_092206-scaled.jpg

4. 20210512_092151-scaled.jpg

5. 20210512_092139-scaled.jpg

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.