Alone

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

15 days longer than the guy in season 2 who tapped out day one after seeing bear poop!

-J.

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

Yes, I remember that one. He made a quick exit, day one.

ThunderLund78

Finally caught up on the first two episodes.

It’s a primitive living contest, so you’re gonna have to kill stuff to survive. However, it is just that… a contest for our entertainment and personal financial gain. They don’t have to be out there and chances are most of those animals would not die at the hands of humans if it weren’t for the show. It doesn’t bother me in the least and it’s done in accordance to game management laws. It really comes down to the emotional state of the person doing the killing, I guess. That guy had some issues, and like a previous poster said, who knows where your brain goes when isolated with nothing but you and your thoughts. I always say I’d like some alone time and then I go to the cabin for a weekend by myself and I’m going crazy without someone to talk to after 3 hrs.

Anyway, not sure who my favorite to win is yet. I think the cold is going to weed out some contestants really quick. At least at this point, food does not appear to be an issue.

stout93
    Becker MN

They don’t have to be out there and chances are most of those animals would not die at the hands of humans if it weren’t for the show. It doesn’t bother me in the least and it’s done in accordance to game management laws.

So at least one, if not a few have talked about wanting to kill a bear. I guess that does bother me in a way. Now if it endangers them, yeah, but if it is just because there’s a ton of bears there then doesn’t make sense. Also, they’re not going to eat that much of the meat in their time there. Seems like it will go to waste.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I always say I’d like some alone time and then I go to the cabin for a weekend by myself and I’m going crazy without someone to talk to after 3 hrs.

The week of deer hunting in November is like this for me. Its a lot of alone time, day after day, in the stand just watching and listening. Its so peaceful. I really do look forward to it not only because I like to hunt, but because there’s solitude for days on end. And no, I do not go crazy without someone to talk to after 3 hours. Just a man, nature, and his rifle.

tswoboda

So at least one, if not a few have talked about wanting to kill a bear. I guess that does bother me in a way. Now if it endangers them, yeah, but if it is just because there’s a ton of bears there then doesn’t make sense. Also, they’re not going to eat that much of the meat in their time there. Seems like it will go to waste.

Do you feel differently about them taking a black bear vs. the muskox and moose that have been taken in previous seasons? Killing a big game animal has been a golden ticket to winning.

stout93
    Becker MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stout93 wrote:</div>

Do you feel differently about them taking a black bear vs. the muskox and moose that have been taken in previous seasons? Killing a big game animal has been a golden ticket to winning.

Didn’t really watch previous seasons. But I guess I would feel the same. Did they eat the entire moose? Seems like obvious wanton waste to me. I would have to think the native/indigenous people to the particular region they’re in are not too happy about a moose (or bear) getting taken..

CaptainMusky

Didn’t really watch previous seasons. But I guess I would feel the same. Did they eat the entire moose? Seems like obvious wanton waste to me. I would have to think the native/indigenous people to the particular region they’re in are not too happy about a moose (or bear) getting taken..

I could see them having issues with taking a bear since they are sacred to them in general, but a single moose isnt likely to be a big burn to them at all. I mean these locales seem super remote with very little human activity.

tswoboda

Wanton waste?! They eat every edible organ of the animals they kill including brain and even ate the stomach contents of the muskox. Yeah I get they aren’t gonna be able to eat 500 lbs worth of moose meat out there but there’s no reason to assume they don’t take it with when they leave.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I remember the guy that took the musk ox used almost every edible portion of it he could, and even the hide to keep warm. So ya, that’s likely the reason he won. A harvest of big game is usually the key to winning. It should start to get cold enough too where spoilage isn’t an issue.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Depending on when they harvest a big game animal, they may not have any trouble consuming it. It takes a LOT of calories to do what they do for up to 100 days. Most of the meat will mostly be dried. When dried, meat does not go as far as one thinks. A big game animal would be a key in winning this thing. That solves the calorie needs. Then its just the shelter and mental part of it. Its much easier to build a nice shelter when you have the energy that comes from decent food intake. I think some of these people are taking the shelter part of this thing a little to light. When it turns cold they are going to struggle to hard just to stay warm if they don’t have decent shelter. A A frame made from a tarp is not going to cut it when it starts to drop below freezing day after day.

Gitchi Gummi

In addition to the dyed hair for flies mentioned above, I thought the guy who used the grommets from his tarp as guides on his fishing rod was one of the more resourceful things I’ve seen done on the show.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think some of these people are taking the shelter part of this thing a little to light. When it turns cold they are going to struggle to hard just to stay warm if they don’t have decent shelter. A A frame made from a tarp is not going to cut it when it starts to drop below freezing day after day.

I had the same thought. I’d want to invest in the shelter while I was still fairly fresh.

CaptainMusky

That dude that lucked into those tin cans and making a stove should do well as long as he can find food and doesnt get injured.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

In addition to the dyed hair for flies mentioned above, I thought the guy who used the grommets from his tarp as guides on his fishing rod was one of the more resourceful things I’ve seen done on the show.

I also thought the died hair was one of the foremost thinking things I’ve seen someone think about.

ThunderLund78

Just thinking that the temps at the beginning haven’t dropped below freezing yet, so if they do take a bear early on, they either better find a way to smoke/dry it quick or strap on the feedbag!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Finally caught up last night, and this should be an interesting season as they seem to have more food (fish, grouse, squirrels, and big game) than previous years. I always think setting snares and other passive means of food accumulation while building a good home is the way to go while you still have some strength and energy. Then once you have a solid home, the rest of the time is hunting, foraging or getting firewood.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like a couple guys got a beaver. That should help them big time. That one guy wading into 35 degree water was ballsy but I probably would have done the same for a beaver.

Another person tapped, which doesn’t surprise me. That guy had eaten virtually nothing for 2 weeks and was trying to build the taj mahal of log cabins.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I probably would have done the same for a beaver.

Are we talking about the same thing? rotflol

…trying to build the taj mahal of log cabins.

He bit off way more than he could chew there.

Gitchi Gummi

He bit off way more than he could chew there.

hard to believe someone could come into the show thinking that kind of shelter/approach was going to be the winning ticket. I know Roland won with his rock house and there was a lot of effort that went into that, but this guy totally swung and missed.

Also, speaking of Roland, it was interesting to hear the one guy (can’t remember his name) said he was tired of hearing people talk about Roland and how he was going to surpass Roland’s record this season. Talking an awfully big game for someone thats not even 3 weeks in yet.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Be interesting to see if anybody gets a Bear. The temps are starting to drop so there will be snow soon to deal with.

That cabin he wanted to build didn’t look big enough for a bed & stove. I’m a bit confused on what he had going on.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I’m having a hard time engaging with this season. The endless squirrel hunting is getting tiresome but at least they are not mouse hunting. Yet.

ThunderLund78

Can’t remember his name but the easy money at this point is on that first guy to shoot a beaver (not the guy who had to go swim for it). He built a smoker in no time to preserve some of it and he’s using the guts for bear bait, and while they only showed a little preview footage, it appears to be working. I think as long as his shelter is good and he can keep warm that he’s gonna make a deep run. He also has the best attitude, but maybe a little over-confident…

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

Agreed, but then the over confident one’s end up with an ax to the leg, knife incident, or slip and fall issue.

I like the show, nice unplug from life for an hour or better.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sucky reason to tap.

Oh well.

7 remain.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Gotta watch out for the Beaver Fever. It’ll getchya when you least expect it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Spoiler alert – Don’t read if you are not caught up to current !!!

Just finished the most recent show. I was surprised that Benji tapped out. He was my current pick to win the whole thing. Eating that Beaver hide flesh may not have been a great idea. He seemed to be by far the person with the most outdoors smart and was doing good on food. The only thing I think he needed was a little better shelter. Bummer a illness took him out.

My pick now is Tom. He has a great shelter and that fire pit he built is awesome. He’s catching hare with snares so that’s a plus.

Adam’s shelter is decent but with him having a illness as well not sure how that will play out. I don’t think mentally he has it

Pablo is a wild card. he seemed to be getting the least food. Building that small dock seems to have turned it around for him. If I was him I’d keep catching as many fish as possible. Start smoking some of them. He seems to have got the short straw when its comes to animals to hunt in his area.

Karie Lee – Needs to start getting more food. getting that fish may be a start. Her shelter needs some work before cold weather as well. She seems a bit crazy. maybe that’s what’s needed to make it a long ways in this thing.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Spoiler alert – Don’t read if you are not caught up to current !!!

Just finished the most recent show. I was surprised that Benji tapped out. He was my current pick to win the whole thing. Eating that Beaver hide flesh may not have been a great idea. He seemed to be by far the person with the most outdoors smart and was doing good on food. The only thing I think he needed was a little better shelter. Bummer a illness took him out.

My pick now is Tom. He has a great shelter and that fire pit he built is awesome. He’s catching hare with snares so that’s a plus.

Adam’s shelter is decent but with him having a illness as well not sure how that will play out. I don’t think mentally he has it

Pablo is a wild card. he seemed to be getting the least food. Building that small dock seems to have turned it around for him. If I was him I’d keep catching as many fish as possible. Start smoking some of them. He seems to have got the short straw when its comes to animals to hunt in his area.

Karie Lee – Needs to start getting more food. getting that fish may be a start. Her shelter needs some work before cold weather as well. She seems a bit crazy. maybe that’s what’s needed to make it a long ways in this thing.

As soon as I saw Benji going for that fat/meat mixture from the hide I was thinking that was going to come back to bite him. Definitely starting to see some of the mental game play into it with the different conversations that people are having…well…with themselves.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

How about the guy who had no bowel movement in 13 days ?? Then finally had one LOL . Intestinal problems, like the guy who ate the bad beaver (cross contaminated ) ? Best laid plans of mice and men .

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.