Alaskan cruise.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one go on one of these things. The lady wants to go and I’m not sure what to expect. Looking at a 7 or 10 day excursion. I like the idea of a Alaskan cruise way more then a tropical cruise. Looking at August timing. Any one have any tips or places to look in to ? Kind of looking at the Norwegian cruise and getting and fancy room with a big balcony up high on the ship. But I’ve never really been on a real vacation other then hunting and fishing trips and I have no interest in going some where south, so this checks those boxes.

AK Guy

Be prepared that you’ll be some of the youngest people on a cruise ship. The majority of the travelers are elderly and like to have their days planned out.

I personally like to get on the Alaska ferry system. You travel much of the same waters but are able to spend multiple days in towns and explore.

There are many towns/cities you can fly into to get on the ferry. The furthest south you can get on the ferry is Bellingham, Washington. Or, you could fly into Ketchikan, Juneau, or Anchorage (you would have to travel 30 miles to Whittier) and get on the boat.

Cruise ships are definitely more luxurious, but ferries are utilitarian and have just enough comforts to be enjoyable. I prefer the independence of traveling by ferry.

Beast

we have been on 2 Alaskan cruses and booking a 3rd for next year, both have been great, only disappointing excursion we went on was the bus tour of Denali, we didn’t see much for wildlife on it, this was on the first week in July so maybe later there would be more activity/ we have sailed on Princess Line, Carnival. and Regency, our last cruise to the Caribbean was on Norwegian, they have been the best so far in my opinion,

jwellsy

I’m no help with cruise info. But, if I were going to Alaska I’d try like heck for a side trip to go grayling fishing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m no help with cruise info. But, if I were going to Alaska I’d try like heck for a side trip to go grayling fishing.

Fishing is high up on my list for day trips.

Cw

Fished them last year, planned 3 days to fish for them thinking it would be a struggle and or hard to find them. It wasn’t. They were a lot of fun, caught some nice ones too, but after a day of them, it was kind of boring. Caught them from shore, in a canoe, in a stream, in line spinners and flies. Did keep a couple to eat and they were excellent.

Cw

we have been on 2 Alaskan cruses and booking a 3rd for next year, both have been great, only disappointing excursion we went on was the bus tour of Denali, we didn’t see much for wildlife on it, this was on the first week in July so maybe later there would be more activity/ we have sailed on Princess Line, Carnival. and Regency, our last cruise to the Caribbean was on Norwegian, they have been the best so far in my opinion,

We did Denali last summer as well in June, we saw a couple of bears and that was it. I think with the road being closed past the first 20% or whatever it is doesnt help the situation. I swear I see more wildlife in the city limits than I do anywhere else.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Cruised aren’t really my thing, but if I was going to do one it probably would be Alaska. I’ve also heard renting an RV and seeing Alaska that way is awesome.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Cruised aren’t really my thing, but if I was going to do one it probably would be Alaska. I’ve also heard renting an RV and seeing Alaska that way is awesome.

We have done the rv thing a few times. My buddies uncle was a guide and he’d take 10 days off and travel with us. I’d love to do that again but focus on fishing again. The lady would rather do the cruise with another couple and do the day excursions.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

We’ll be back up there next summer for 10-12 days. Us and another couple, we rent a house and plan out different days trips, some sight seeing/hiking and a few fishing. We love this trip, beautiful place to visit and we bring home a couple coolers of fish. We don’t do cruises, not our thing but a lot of people including my parents like the cruises in AK. Have fun.

toddrun

We did an Alaskan cruise on NCL last year, was pretty awesome. My recommendation, get an aft facing (rear) balcony room, it gives you a more than a 180 degree view, great for the inside passages. We saw tons of whales, seals, porpoises, etc.. from our balcony. Halibut fishing was on my bucket list, but I did not do it, the cost was $2100 for 1 person, would have been less if I could have found a group, and you only fish for 40-60 minutes, because you have to fish during slack tide when that deep. Did a helicopter ride to the top of a glacier, awesome!! Crab boil was YUMMY!

jwellsy

If I was doing the RV thing, I’d probably take a metal detector along too.

Jimmy Jones

We did the cruise from Seattle a couple years ago and personally I thought it was awesome. Yes, lots of gray hairs on Alaskan cruises but we saw several families with younger kids too.

It took only part of the first day to see a humpback spouting and after that whales were a daily thing the entire trip. Sea Lions were another common critter along the journey.

We saw rain on only the last day of the cruise, but be sure to take rainwear.

We were going to do another cruise to Alaska this summer but have opted to fly to Anchorage and rent a car and go see the state’s interior. We do have a Halibut charter booked though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would personally rather hang out and have a couple beers with grey hairs rather then young party animals. We found a package we liked last night, not sure if the lady booked it or not. This will be a adults trip, no kids. We definitely want a nice balcony room. Again we don’t usually do any form of vacation or get aways that don’t wrap completely around fishing or hunting. Thanks for the advice.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My parents have done an Alaskan Cruise a few times, and absolutely love them. Spend plenty of time researching and money paying for your excursions, you get what you pay for was one tip they had after a disappointing sight seeing excursion.

Alex Fox

I did one as a young man, I enjoyed it. My aunt is a world traveler and has been on dozens of cruises. She states that you get tired of looking at ocean in the carribean. At least in Alaska you’re looking at Glaciers, mountains, etc.

It’s not a sit on the deck and tan cruise. We had days in the 70s and days in the 30s. But there is always something to do. You’ll eat the best food you’ve ever had…every day. The excursions are cool but two of mine got canceled due to a broken boat for one and bad weather for another.

She recommends Holland America as her cruise line of choice.

MX1825

Several years ago did cruise, train, bus inland trip on Holland. Vancouver departure cruised to Skagway train and bus the rest of the way. Hectic schedule but amazing scenery. If doing something like that do it in reverse. By that I mean cruise at the end of the trip. 3 or 4 days with much of schedule to wind down. Saw everything but a bear as far as wildlife goes. We did not take the meal plan on the trip for when on land. Found our own places by asking the locals. Had great food but cost some extra taxi fares. Any questions feel free to contact me BC.

Rick Janssen

I did the Alaskan cruise from Seattle last June. I was not really wanting to go on a cruise, but it was with 6 GREAT friends and some special music on the ship with a recording artist that I really like so I went along. Stopped in Juneau and went to see a glacier which was pretty cool. I wanted to take kayaks closer, but the others in my group where not up for that kind of adventure. Also stopped in Skagway and did an old bus tour which was cool also. Also stopped in Victoria BC and did some tours. One of things I did not like was that everything we did was so crowded that kind of turned me off. Other than that it was fun, but I don’t think I would do it again. Next trip to Alaska will be more time on land

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not much of a cruise person after going on one in the Caribbean. They’re far more crowded than I prefer and I like to build my own schedule.

We have had some relatives and friends do the Alaskan ones and liked them. If I were to give another cruise a shot, this would be the kind.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

We did the cruise on Holland Line, very happy with them. Be aware there are numerous day trip that are awesome but also quite expensive. Bring quality rain gear along with quality small binoculars. Even though the side trips are expensive remember it’s a trip of a lifetime and you probably won’t repeat it.

Good luck
    Wayne

CaptainMusky

An Alaskan cruise is the ONLY cruise I would consider. Bucket list some day. Know a few coworkers who have done it and they liked the packages where they had day excursions planned for you. My wife has a HS classmate who is a guide up there and I could get you her contact info. Not sure whereabouts she is, but I know she is good because I have seen pics.

jwellsy

Our daughter is a sign language interpreter and she basically lives on cruises, going from one to another. She likes to take pictures of pineapples on peoples door. It’s like an Easter egg hunt for her, makes her laugh & giggle. Evidently pineapples (especially upside pineapples) are code for swingers to identify themselves.

Riverruns

We went in September last fall. Flew into Anchorage and stayed in an ABB for 3 days. Toured around that area with car rental. Lots to do. Then took train from airport to our ship (NCL). Trip was awesome.

It’s not all old Grey haired people. Their were family’s as well. Awesome trip.
    Cruise was 7 days with stops and excursions.

We got the drink package and also had 2 nice meals to sit down included. Otherwise you can eat and drink all day on the ship. That was included.

Questions send me a message. Next year might be a 2 week trip land. We do know some people up there and 1 is a guide. So that’s why we’ll do the land trip.

Don’t turn down the trip. You’ll enjoy it.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Best trip I’ve been on, hands down. Cruise was fantastic, great food and views from the ship, breathtaking!!

Fished out of Talkeetna, jet boat on the river. Words can’t do it justice. 1st time in my life I set the rod down and couldn’t catch anymore fish. Sore and literally bruised from fighting fish. Once in a lifetime trip…I hope to do again.

Bring good rain gear, everywhere you go, just in case. You’ll most like need it.

stevenoak

Simple as it sounds. Get the land side berth of the ship. Unless you want to stare at water for a few days. My brother went two years ago. I never thought about it.

toddrun

One thing about the drink package, if you factor in the cost, each person has to drink like 13-15 drinks a day to break even. Note that they throw in an excessive bar gratuity in the cost. If you drink that much, go for it, but for me the math does not add up, so we remove that and save the money. Usually there are on ship cash benefits, that has always paid for our drink tab.

Same with the specialty dining, but not at the same level of cost.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We don’t really drink so there probably won’t be a drink package. I have had 1 old fashioned in the last 10 months just simply due to the fact that we went to a fancy steak house and I couldn’t resist.
    I definitely want to look at the land side and not out in to the ocean. And a day trip of fishing sounds like a blast and I’m guessing she would love that and maybe a day on side x sides or wheelers

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve never been one who thought a cruise would be my thing. A buddy of mine who I thought would hate the cruise thing even worse than me, did one a few years ago and liked it so much he’s done 1 each year since. He said he favorite one was the Alaska one. I’ve always said if I were to do one, it would have to be a Alaska one first. I spent time their in my youth and loved the beauty of the place and have looked forward to getting back there someday.
    As far as the drink package goes, one the company they use they figured the drink per day to break even was only about 3 a day each. Based on the # of drinks I drink per day at a all inclusive trip I’d pay for the drink package by the end of breakfast and would be well ahead by lunch. I think I drink more on one of those all inclusive trips than I do the whole rest of the year combined.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well we booked our cruise for next August 2025. Norwegian crusie Pretty solid deal. Rear balcony room all inclusive for 5k. It’ll be my first real get away.
    Now I need to figure out a day of fishing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.