Airing things out….

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I pulled the orange out of the closet yesterday for the first time this fall and hung it on the clothesline all afternoon. After we get over this snow thing I’ll hang it out again and spray it well with camp dry and put it out mornings to let it air for several more days, bringing it in late afternoons. Then I’ll invert everything and give the inside surfaces a good bath with scent blocker and do the hang on the line thing again until I feel good about storage odors being taken out of the clothes. This is all I do for scent control while hunting. Boots will get a shot of scent killer/blocker each morning before the hill climb.

Some may wonder about wearing the hunting clothes to climb and sweating that occurs….well, my orange is all bagged in heavy black garbage bags and taken to the stand site the day before the season opens. Coming and going to the stand is done in an orange sweatshirt. When I get to the stand, the sweat shirt comes off and the hunting clothes go on after I’ve had a chance to cool down and possible sweating is no longer an issue. When I come down the mountain the hunting clothes stay in the black bags re-stashed with the open end twisted closed then the bag is inverted with the sealed end up if rain/snow is forecast. If no weather is coming the bag will be left slightly open with that end up so the clothes can breathe over night. I’ve done this for years and every season I have deer walk within 10 or 12 yards of me on ground stands.

After a couple of injuries to my lower right leg I have a foot issue with current boots so I’ll be shopping this week and wearing the new ones a couple partial days then full days for a couple so I know they’re worn in before the season begins.

Guns are sighted and all my goodies are lined up, so I should be ready. Are ?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’ll be getting to that soon, like after the crappy weather moves on!!!!! peace peace waytogo

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

My orange vest and hunting boots are getting an “early” season tune up before MN deer season this year. Headed to Colorado for elk tomorrow morning. It’ll be 70 in Denver tomorrow. 50s for a day of trout fishing Thursday. Then damn cold on the mountain the rest of the week. Amen!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My orange vest and hunting boots are getting an “early” season tune up before MN deer season this year. Headed to Colorado for elk tomorrow morning. It’ll be 70 in Denver tomorrow. 50s for a day of trout fishing Thursday. Then damn cold on the mountain the rest of the week. Amen!

good luck !!!!!!! waytogo waytogo have fun.

Deuces

Guy we used to hunt with, never did a single thing for prep. Hungover majority of time in deer stand, smoke cigarettes, took poops under his tree, still got deer every year. Funniest crap you’ve seen the hardcore guys just POd he’d always get something where they get skunked.

Not saying anything in regards to anyone elses prep and successes, we always chuckle about it

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Good luck tbro16! Bang a dandy!

haleysgold
    SE MN

Sounds like a blast! Good luck.
    Hopefully not around all the fires out there. Some areas are a mess.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

They came right back in this morning when I saw the first snowflake.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Not saying anything in regards to anyone elses prep and successes, we always chuckle about it

X2

I don’t want to offend anyone either, but I’m not a big prep guy. In fact I can’t remember the last time I’ve washed anything orange. My clothes just stay in the tote from the year before. Blood/dirt stains and all.

I haven’t been winded for at least 10yrs. This deer is from last year. Fourth year in a row I put one on the wall waytogo

Biggest thing is get out and hunt. Can’t shoot em from the couch.

Attachments:
    1. 51842.jpeg

Snap

The best part of bow hunting is that my freezer is already full, no frozen toes, and now that I see snow on the ground I can officially start couch season.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

This is all I do clothes wise. I have my old suit that saw over twenty seasons and possibly in the 35 deer range that was never washed. My newer clothes have plenty of blood on them already and they’ll never see a washing machine.

Coletrain27

I’ve been “that guy” many years so hungover on deer stand barfing and hoping nothing even comes by so My headache don’t get any worse from shooting my gun on opening morning. That being said, I still usually shoot more deer than the rest of my group toast

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

To each their own, but scent control is a scam, IMO. I think it is virtually impossible to eliminate your scent from a wild animal, outside of playing the wind. Wild critters don’t smell like we do. We smell a cheeseburger, but a deer smells every component of that cheeseburger individually and at a level we can’t comprehend.

I think individual deer react differently to human odors, too. Some spaz and run, some investigate, some ignore it completely, but they always smell it.

It was a great relief for me and an increase in enjoyment once I eliminated “scent control” from my hunting process and began just paying more attention to the wind and thermals and how I access areas I plan to hunt. That’s the “scent control” we can control.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

To each their own, but scent control is a scam, IMO. I think it is virtually impossible to eliminate your scent from a wild animal, outside of playing the wind. Wild critters don’t smell like we do. We smell a cheeseburger, but a deer smells every component of that cheeseburger individually and at a level we can’t comprehend.

I think individual deer react differently to human odors, too. Some spaz and run, some investigate, some ignore it completely, but they always smell it.

It was a great relief for me and an increase in enjoyment once I eliminated “scent control” from my hunting process and began just paying more attention to the wind and thermals and how I access areas I plan to hunt. That’s the “scent control” we can control.

Agreed, and would apply the same to Camo, or the new bs term “clothing systems”. Sure do what you can, and airing it out can only help, but it’s pretty minimal help (that I do also) and more dependent on wind and thermals. I used to buy all the BS sprays and laundry detergent, and would still get busted. Being silent, still and paying attention is far better than any Scent Killer or Camo System imo.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

All I try to do is get the “shop closet” smell out of the clothing using good old ozone. I’m entirely in your camps DeRanged and Bigwerm regarding what deer can smell and belief 100% that scent blocker clothing is a scam. Besides, no one can eliminate what comes from one’s breath. I know people who show up to hunt reeking of garlic. They hunt the furthest from me and way, way downwind. The sprays are only short-term topical measures to harness human odors and are soon ineffective.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

its really why i hang my clothes out to air out. get the closet smell out. i am getting away from then cover scent also. i’m not even convinced about using the doe pee stuff anymore but have had bucks check it out.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wow, Tom you make me look lazy.

As for Whitetail, it’s all what they are conditioned for. Around my farm, it’s all activities as usual. Also, as crazy at it sounds, I now believe deer get to know the sounds of a particular vehicle, individual’s scent, and so on.
    I’ve been on this job site for 16 months. If I am the only vehicle here and park in the same place, I have deer all day walking around. As soon as an unfamiliar vehicle it s here, they become extremely skittish for a day.

I was at my farm for a day (mon/tues). Saw 14 bucks just sitting out in the open with a cigar, Pepsi, and a roll of sausage to chew on. Work jeans and a nasty stanking work hoodie. As long as I didn’t make a sudden move, deer didn’t care that I was there. Best was a little fork buck. He walked up to about 4” from my toes to smell my feet. I slowly reached out and rubbed his horns. That was a mistake. As he jerked his head up I almost got gored in the guts. Still cool to have one walk up and pet it

Attachments:
    1. FF146B8E-C884-45AB-A41E-9F1DC0AB48AA.jpeg

2. DE41885E-C91C-497C-A92F-9E5855ABF685.jpeg

3. 39603A2F-B63F-446D-9204-9E06F31C333C.jpeg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying, I try to not smoke in the stand but that usually doesn’t last long. I do use doe pee and have been using nose jammer for a few seasons. Not sure it makes a difference but I usually shoot deer.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.