Addicted to Rippin Raps

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ok, this is proof I’m getting old. 30 year old tactics being discussed as something new. Love it.
    What I have left from my “ice fishing” rattle traps. These were dead stick walleye slayers on the Winnebago system

Attachments:
    1. 20180104_072458.jpg

Mikael Ranta

What kind of ice rod are you guys using? I’ve been using a medium light rod and I can’t feel the rippin rap size 3 or the slab rap whatsoever when I jig them. I’ve resorted to other lures on the meantime.

jarrod holbrook

Jason Mitchell meat stick for the 3-4 size on crappies

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

What kind of ice rod are you guys using? I’ve been using a medium light rod and I can’t feel the rippin rap size 3 or the slab rap whatsoever when I jig them. I’ve resorted to other lures on the meantime.

I like a stout rod when using them. I want as much direct control over the action and the ability for a good hook set.
    I use a 34” TUCR Comander. It is not unusual to hook into a upper 20” walleye for me in close to 30’ of water. With this setup I am able to retrieve the fish slower as to not blow there blatters. Slowing down is good for the fish and a more memorable experience.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

If you want to feel the lure, drop down to a light or even ultra light to feel the size 3.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

I haven’t had much luck on the Rippin Raps yet, some success on the Slab Rap but I feel a lot more comfortable with a number of different spoons once I get a Walleye on the screen. However, my buddy caught a couple on Mille Lacs with a Rippin Rap and boy was it fun to see them crush it on the flasher!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Ok, this is proof I’m getting old. 30 year old tactics being discussed as something new. Love it.
    What I have left from my “ice fishing” rattle traps. These were dead stick walleye slayers on the Winnebago system
    THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN LOSING……………………IS QUITTING!!!!!! Wieland Outdoors Guide/Outfiitter. Providing educational and promotional services. http://www.wielandoutdoors.com
    Attachments:

Randy… biggest fish I have ever caught came on a small silver rattle trap like the one you have in the photo. 39″ northern out of a canoe after a day of catching nothing all day. Bounced it off the bottom like a jig a couple times… left it sit there about a foot up as I was contemplating what to try next and smack… almost lost my rod. Bait was way down the throat. Fish and the lure have been on the wall ever since.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN LOSING……………………IS QUITTING!!!!!! Wieland Outdoors Guide/Outfiitter. Providing educational and promotional services. http://www.wielandoutdoors.com
    Attachments:

Randy… biggest fish I have ever caught came on a small silver rattle trap like the one you have in the photo. 39″ northern out of a canoe after a day of catching nothing all day. Bounced it off the bottom like a jig a couple times… left it sit there about a foot up as I was contemplating what to try next and smack… almost lost my rod. Bait was way down the throat. Fish and the lure have been on the wall ever since.

Just described the best way to present them. Long pauses and mud coming off the bottom. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve watch fish rush in when those baits hit bottom and a little dirt comes up. Can’t find these little lewis rat-L-traps anymore

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I dunno Chuck, maybe you ought to get that rattle trap back down of the wall and start using it again. grin

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

What size do you guys use for walleyes through the ice?

Mikael Ranta

Ah alright thanks. Do you guys mostly just jiggle them off bottom then?

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Ah alright thanks. Do you guys mostly just jiggle them off bottom then?

Mikael a post with a video of James is in the earlier posts and I also layed out what I do and others have added to it. Please take the time to go back and read previous replies and then if you need clearer discription report back and I will try to help.

zachary Wietzema

I just got a few size #3 and #4 for my father for christmas (which of course means theyre for me) and I was wondering whats a good rod for about $50-$75 for these lures. seemed like the old one i had was too light to get a good wobble going with a size #4/#3

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If we’re to only buy one size for ice walleyes, I would start with 4s. Though lakes like Poygan and Winnebago tend to do very well on much smaller baits like 3s, but that’s not the norm

whitefishguy

I like these ones for door county whitefish, they are smallmouth bass #5, it’s a fleet farm exclusive color, my now goto bait, before it was the #5 craw, I’ve head to cut the fishes head open to get these things out on a few occasions as the whitefish litteraly swallowed the bait, and caught several in the 5 to 6 lb range on them

Attachments:
    1. 20171202_192420.jpg

fishingallday

What pound line do you use with rippin raps?

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

LOL Those Rattle Traps worked great on Walleyes and big Perch on Petenwell too.

manbearpig

I’m also interested in knowing the # test, and type of line that most are using on the stiffer rods with these lures?

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I’m also interested in knowing the # test, and type of line that most are using on the stiffer rods with these lures?

I use 6# braid with a 4# fluorocarbon leader.
    Not that a heavier swivel makes allot of difference in this application I always use invisaswivels so that my swivel is neutral boyant. I don’t like the chance of my swivel falling faster than what ever presentation I’m using.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>IceAsylum wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>
    What size do you guys use for walleyes through the ice?

#3 & #4

I prefer #4 & #5. 3 is way too small.

Agreed. Plus, the hooks on the #3 are tiny. I’ve lost a couple walleyes on them already because of that.

manbearpig

Thanks Asylum…..
    I just got done digging through my box of lines. I found some Stren Super Braid 8# test and some old Berkley Trilene Cold Weather mono that is still in excellent condition. One spool is 2# and the other 6#. I don’t have any 4#. I think I’ll line up 2 rods with the 8# braid, then use a uni to uni to 6ft of Trilene. One rod with 6# for walleyes on the Rippin Rap #4 & #5s. The other rod with 2# for Crappie using the size #3 Rippin or Slab Raps. Hope this will work. Great info that all of you guys are sharing. Thanks!

curleytail

Not an expert on the raps though I did catch an eye on a slab rap last trip out. Fish were finicky but that fish took the bait deep. Seemed to be fooled by it.

I’d say if you’ll be fishing outdoors running straight 6 lb mono could be an option too. Braid and cold weather outside don’t always play well together.

Tucker

i love them and use them i a boat too. they are awesome all year round. but on the ice they have to be number 4 or 5. i recently bought a set of the slab raps and if they dont commit to the rippin rap then throw a slab rap in their face right after they deny the rippin rap and they will usually get a sore mouth! and if that dont do it then the jigging rap will do them in! the only three walleye lures i use on the ice.

runningback21

I use a 32″ St. Croix Mojo in a Medium. seems to work well and i like the handle on it quite a bit.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

They work good on aggressive fish for sure. First/early ice they are great. I haven’t had alot of luck on them once the super cold weather hits and the bite turns a little more neutral. James did a good job explaining how I work them too. Just don’t overwork them and you will be fine most of the time.

That video also showed when they work best: on aggressive fish. When the fish are that hot, they will hit most anything and it’s a good time to gain confidence in them. That one on his screen would have hit a dog turd with a treble hook in it. grin

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Just thought you would find this interesting or surprising when it comes to the Rippin Raps.

Kfactor

I have tried these for years and I have yet to get a fish with them lol

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.