Accidental polar plunging

• isu22andy

Aside from wearing a pfd , what are some precautions you guys use that fish in the late nov – March time frame on the river in case you take a dip? Ive always kept a spare blanket, hoody, rain gear, lighter, on my boat. Ive often wondered though what the best course of action if you did fall in 38 degree water what your best odds were – beat ass back to the ramp and get in the truck or get on shore and get some dry clothes and fire made. Obviously it depends on how far you are from the ramp . Ive never been in that situation before so dont know how my body reacts to being wet in ice cold water.

Anyone take a polar plunge? How far in the middle of no where were ya ? Whatd you do ?

Brittman

Twice growing up I tripped walking in waders. One time the pond was warm but the air chilly. Easy walk back to the truck. Second time ice was forming on the pond, it was about 28F, and wind strong out of the north. It was a hell 1/2 mile walk to the truck. Undressed – redressed and sat in truck a half hour to warm up. I changed to my overalls, cleaned up the gun (yep it went in too) and went back out and hunted the cattail edge. Brother had to retrieve the decoys when we were finished up.

Jimmy Jones

I’ve been thru the ice three times. I don’t ice fish anymore. The last time was when it was -11 and I had about a two block walk. Things were pretty solid by the time I got to the truck. With lung disease I struggle to breathe the cold air and just thinking of going thru again pretty much spelled the end of it. I don’t miss it a bit.

robby
    Quad Cities

I did this a couple years ago. I was not too far from the dock and swam pushing into shallow enough water that I could climb back into the boat. Amazing how fast your muscles get weaker and sluggish. Then to ramp, half ass secured the boat, and back to the cabin as quickly as I could for warm and then hot shower. I was dumb and did not have a life jacket on. I was not alone either, that helped. It could have been much worse.

LabDaddy1

I went in belly button deep in a frozen slough pheasant hunting once. Luckily we were almost done and only a quarter mile from the truck. Although the high-stepping/walking helped dry me out somewhat quickly too.

Curious what others have to say here. I’d probably try to keep a buddy heater with me in the boat. I also bring wool blankets with in early spring.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

After reading a couple of these I realize I’m not that mad at the fish. Nothing late season and certainly no first ice for me. Seems like you are just tempting fate. But, I won’t judge others.(except the early, early ice guys)

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If you keep moving to generate body heat, I’d say head for the truck. If you going to take a 20 minute boat ride back to the truck, you might be better off starting a fire on shore.
    Wind proof rain gear would help for the boat ride back. Getting out of wet clothes and into dry ones is best, but you still need help replacing body heat. Either physically moving your body or an outside source of heat.

If your core temp drops too much you WILL lose muscle function. Once you lose muscle function, you will need outside help to survive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.