Access restrictions coming to a lake near you

• Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Now that I’ve publicly posted such I will follow it up with a post of my dinner plate and a video of me throwing a piece of cheese on my cat…

rotflol lol
    You’re on FB obviously… mrgreen

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

This site lists in excess of 14,000 active members. If only 10% sent emails can you imagine the impression that would make? But, my guess is since it’s not “our” lake in question less then 1% will send a email. Until of course “our” lake is next. Then we will be begging everybody for help. coffee

Speak now or forever hold your peace. This is a real threat.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

On a related note…….you think they will stop with limiting boats? Wheelhouses are next.

blackbay

I sent my emails last week and also a couple months ago.

This is a big deal folks!

I made a facebook comment on an MPR article last week and this young lady responded to me. Since it appears that my comment were removed, I’ll have to paraphrase.

How would you like to pay for property taxes on a lake home and then have to pay for clean up of other people mess?

My abbreviated response was “you made the decision to buy lakeshore property”.

What I find ridiculous is that so many lakeshore owners feel they need to pay to “clean up” the lake. How many of these same people voluntarily pay to “clean up” a city park if they lived adjacent to it? Would they deem it their duty to control buckthorn or wild parsnip in a state forest? I bet they wouldn’t even think about it. Both are public resources that are owned by everyone in the state, but somehow adding water totally changes everyone’s attitude. ” I live on the lake therefore it’s MINE!”

FWIW I have lake property myself.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I was going to stay clear of this but after reading the proposal I sent out the emails and became a life member of MN-Fish.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I was going to stay clear of this but after reading the proposal I sent out the emails and became a life member of MN-Fish.

Thank you!! applause

deertracker

Was there a link for this that I missed?
    DT

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Long time lurker, first time poster. What got me on IDO? This thread. Grew up fishing Wright County lakes, and mainly Sylvia. Emails sent, posted this thread on FB and will soon be a member of MN-Fish! Done sitting on my hands.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Long time lurker, first time poster. What got me on IDO? This thread. Grew up fishing Wright County lakes, and mainly Sylvia. Emails sent, posted this thread on FB and will soon be a member of MN-Fish! Done sitting on my hands.

Welcome Joe, sorry it took a issue like this to get you to register but we are glad to have ya!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Emails sent.

Does anyone know if this issue has been posted on the MN fishing facebook pages? Lots of eyes on those pages daily.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Emails sent.
    Signed up as a founding member of MN-Fish as well.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Emails sent to both dnr and MN-fish and became a member.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Email sent. no way does this have a chance with anglers coming out of the wood work waytogo

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Email sent. no way does this have a chance with anglers coming out of the wood work waytogo

But are they? The time for talking the talk is over. It’s time to walk the walk. Send those emails, make those calls.

Thanks to all who have taken the minute ( yes it takes about that long) to keep our waterways free. To those who have done nothing….shame on you. frown

Justin riegel

emails sent and joined MN-FISH, not from that area, but I don’t want this trend to spread like AIS.

Ice Cap

We are always talking about angler not being organized like the lake associations. Well I just joined this new coalition formed by Ron Shara and Al Lindner. We need all the help we can get and I urge all of you to not only send them a request to represent us on this issue, but to join as well. There is a free 2 year membership available.

Email: [email protected]

Here is the email I sent to MN-Fish.com

Dear MN-Fish,

Thank you for creating this coalition for MN fishermen. I just joined at the founding member level as I have an urgent matter that I think you can help with. The links below will provide insight and a recap of the Wright county commissioner meeting on Mar 19, 2019. Based on all the online posts, anglers are absolutely opposed to this and feel we have no voice. I am asking you to be our voice. Thank you for your support.

And what was their response? From reading their web site they seem to represent anyone who wets a line including Local lake organizations clubs etc. They could potentially come down on either side of this. Like most advocacy groups it hard if not impossible to represent the opinion of all your members. You are going to please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. I’d wait to see how they come down on this before joining.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Sent out emails as well waytogo

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And what was their response? From reading their web site they seem to represent anyone who wets a line including Local lake organizations clubs etc. They could potentially come down on either side of this. Like most advocacy groups it hard if not impossible to represent the opinion of all your members. You are going to please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. I’d wait to see how they come down on this before joining.

I like your thinking. I haven’t had time myself to review their site to see what their mission was. It would be nice to get their official position on this before joining.

I did find this. Please not there is never a mention of AIS.

MN-FISH MISSION:
    Provide a strong voice for Minnesota anglers and fishing related businesses before the State Legislature and DNR regarding all things fishing.
    Advocate, protect and restore aquatic fish & spawning habitat in lakes, rivers and streams.
    Seek greater reinvestment back into sport fishing, representing a portion of the estimated $271 million in annual state taxes derived from Minnesota’s $4.2 billion fishing and marine industry.
    Support scientific and common-sense fish management for all gamefish species, and review DNR fish stocking policies and fish management programs to maximize anglers’ success.
    Seek funding and assist in expanding the Minnesota Fishing Museum/Hall-of-Fame/Education Center programs and facility.
    Advocate and promote youth fishing recruitment and fishing programs in school curriculums to sustain the next generation of anglers.
    Become a grassroots sport fishing, marine and angler advocacy network to give anglers a voice in all fishing related issues.
    Advocate and seek funding for new investment in fish hatcheries, public accesses, fishing piers and shore fishing facilities.

tangler
    Inactive

This is my concern as well. I’d like to see them make some kind of a statement on a controversial topic (such as this one) before I get behind them. I’m skeptical. They’re asking for money which makes me worry they are “for sale” like everyone else. If some Lake Association ponies up a few grand they are officially “benefactors” — then how likely is MN-Fish going to be to fight them over issues like this? The mission statement looks fine and dandy, but how will that translate when the rubber meets the road and they need to choose sides?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I sent an email. I live in Wright county and fish within the county maybe 6 times a year. If their proposal is accepted I won’t take the time to get an inspection and won’t fish any of the lakes. Simple as that. Which is exactly what the lake shore owners want. less people on the lakes.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

emails sent and joined MN-FISH, not from that area, but I don’t want this trend to spread like AIS.

Thanks for sending emails and this brings up a good point. I was at one of the meetings last year on this. There were reps from several other counties at that meeting. The one from Ottertail comes to mind, he asked the DNR present there, When can we start this program, we want to do it now!!!!! There was definitely a loud tone in his voice when he asked it. Other counties/lake assoc’s are watching this and want to join asap from what I can gather. Just like Wright county, they aren’t caring what anyone other than the big dollar Lake Assoc’s think. That’s what I’m seeing in Wright county anyways. and yes my letters are sent.

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

emails sent

hossfisher

Email sent. Interesting to note, that despite being under the watchful eye of the inspection program, Starry Stonewart was found August 2018 in Pleasant lake near Annandale.

Swede

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin riegel wrote:</div>

Thanks for sending emails and this brings up a good point. I was at one of the meetings last year on this. There were reps from several other counties at that meeting. The one from Ottertail comes to mind, he asked the DNR present there, When can we start this program, we want to do it now!!!!! There was definitely a loud tone in his voice when he asked it. Other counties/lake assoc’s are watching this and want to join asap from what I can gather. Just like Wright county, they aren’t caring what anyone other than the big dollar Lake Assoc’s think. That’s what I’m seeing in Wright county anyways. and yes my letters are sent.

My feeling is that they are a new coalition and we need to let them know how we feel about this. Maybe they didn’t even know anything about it?? I understand if you want to hold off sending them money until you see how they respond, but I think you should try to persuade them to join the fight. I sent them $35 to show I am serious. Money talks sometimes.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Where can one find the proposal currently being considered by the DNR to approve or not? I have “googled” and find information from last summer on the pilot program and another 54 page document by Wright County detailing the entire program.

Before I send emails I would like to read and know exactly what is being proposed before I offer my opinion on the matter.

I can’t equip myself based on comments off this thread.

Swede

Here you go.

March 26, 2019 at 10:02 am#1845946
    Where can one find the proposal currently being considered by the DNR to approve or not? I have “googled” and find information from last summer on the pilot program and another 54 page document by Wright County detailing the entire program.
    Before I send emails I would like to read and know exactly what is being proposed before I offer my opinion on the matter.

I can’t equip myself based on comments off this thread.

Here you go:
    http://www.wrightswcd.org/Water_Management/WRIP2019_Plan_proposal.pdf

Swede

Also, like you, I wanted to verify what this is. So I reluctantly took a half day off work and drove an hour to the hearing in Wright County last Tues. The recap I started this thread with is first hand knowledge. I just want to fish and never get involved with this crap, but this time I have to. Hope this helps.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.