Aaron Rodgers Announces Retirement

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

After seeing GB’s first round picks.

Holy crap, they must be trying to get him to retire before the season starts.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That’s why you don’t coach or manage a NFL team because you don’t understand their logic. But the way you title your posts you could work for a major news organization.

David Wayne

You sure have a Rodgers obsession. Just sayin.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

same ole packers, same ole Vikings, same ole fans, same ole IDO….

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not really. I actually think he’s a clown and deserves what he’s getting. Just shocked they refuse to give him any talent around him. I actually like the picks for the defense. But Rodgers has got to be pissed.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

That’s why you don’t coach or manage a NFL team because you don’t understand their logic. But the way you title your posts you could work for a major news organization.

If you actually fell for that title I wouldn’t be saying someone else doesn’t understand the NFL……

KPE
    River Falls, WI

In the words of my aunt, “who the flower is eric rogers?”

KP
    Hudson, WI

The top WR’s went early and the cost to move up was too much for them. Rodger’s said he was happy who they picked because Defense wins Championships.

maddogg

The top WR’s went early and the cost to move up was too much for them. Rodger’s said he was happy who they picked because Defense wins Championships.

He better be right if they keep on going on this track.

Beast

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>David Wayne wrote:</div>

Not really. I actually think he’s a clown and deserves what he’s getting. Just shocked they refuse to give him any talent around him. I actually like the picks for the defense. But Rodgers has got to be pissed.

All you have to do is look around the NFL at how many 1st round draft picks that were sure things that turned out total busts that are out of the NFL in 3 years.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

All you have to do is look around the NFL at how many 1st round draft picks that were sure things that turned out total busts that are out of the NFL in 3 years.

whats the lesson here? that you will find that the 1st rd WR picks have a much lower bust rate than the WRs in the other rounds? that is a good observation and i agree this has to make Rodgers upset

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A 1st round WR in the later half of the draft is rarely a plug and play #1 WR. Odds are, a WR taken at that stage of the draft becomes just “another guy” or at least for the next 2 seasons. I’m glad they didn’t go WR or trade a bunch of picks to move up for a WR. They need proven route runners at the NFL level now. It doesn’t mean I’m happy with the current WR room’s talent, but a trade for a proven veteran fits this team’s timeline much better than a 21 year old guy.

Walker was a bit of a swing for the fences type pick. His teammate Nakobe Dean had a higher floor, but lower ceiling size wise at 5’11 225# playing LB in the NFL but with experience leading a successful defense at Georgia. He would have likely been the “safer” pick. Walker is very athletic and could be a 3 down LB…or he could be a guy who is a 1st round special teamer in the future. Only time will tell. Devonte Wyatt should slide right in on the defensive front in a position of need. Kenny Clark is a stud, and this should only help both guys.

I’d give the Packers a “B” on the draft so far. I think some OL depth and rolling the dice on a project WR with speed should be Day 2 targets.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

A 1st round WR in the later half of the draft is rarely a plug and play #1 WR. Odds are, a WR taken at that stage of the draft becomes just “another guy” or at least for the next 2 seasons. I’m glad they didn’t go WR or trade a bunch of picks to move up for a WR. They need proven route runners at the NFL level now. It doesn’t mean I’m happy with the current WR room’s talent, but a trade for a proven veteran fits this team’s timeline much better than a 21 year old guy.

Walker was a bit of a swing for the fences type pick. His teammate Nakobe Dean had a higher floor, but lower ceiling size wise at 5’11 225# playing LB in the NFL but with experience leading a successful defense at Georgia. He would have likely been the “safer” pick. Walker is very athletic and could be a 3 down LB…or he could be a guy who is a 1st round special teamer in the future. Only time will tell. Devonte Wyatt should slide right in on the defensive front in a position of need. Kenny Clark is a stud, and this should only help both guys.

I’d give the Packers a “B” on the draft so far. I think some OL depth and rolling the dice on a project WR with speed should be Day 2 targets.

Agreed 100%. Walker might be a reach, might not. But Wyatt was the best player of need at #28. For the longest time people bemoaned the Packer’s ILB. Blake Martinez was never enough. We finally get Campbell, and now Walker, and people make it seem like tightening up an iffy run D was the worst thing on earth. Round 2 will have receiver talent to get, why reach?

Justin Donson

I think that may have been true in the past, but the WR market just exploded this offseason. You’re not going to add a good WR without forking over some cash and draft capital. Dolphins gave up a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th(2023), and 5th(2023) AND then gave Tyreek $25M a year.

AJ Brown just got $25M/year from the Eagles.

That’s why there was such a run on receivers, because it just got WAY more expensive to sign anyone long term.

Are they going to target someone in free agency? Not a ton out there and you’ll be paying 10-15M for anyone halfway decent(I don’t know that they can afford that in their current cap situation). And if you are suggesting a trade, well, get ready to pay for it as we’ve seen above.

I’m not an expert on all the teams, but I don’t think it’s out of the question for another 4-5 WRs to be off the board by the Packers next pick. Chicago, Tennessee, NYJ, Washington definitely have a need. Rodgers is a great QB, but there is NOT enough talent around him in the WR room to make a legit run this year IMO.

Beast

Min. fans make me laugh, they can’t watch their own bobber, they must be up 1/2 the night worrying on what the Packers do.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Min. fans make me laugh, they can’t watch their own bobber, they must be up 1/2 the night worrying on what the Packers do.

Speak for yourself Beast. I can’t even count the number of times you chime in and troll the Vikings thread. Maybe you should worry more about the Packers. It’s a 2 way street.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Oh come on, you’re gonna tell me Packers fans don’t troll Vikings fans?

Right.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like Christian Watson a lot, but he may not be productive for a year or two. Seems like another missed opportunity by the GB front office to get the MVP some talent. They could have easily packaged some of their first 4 picks to move up for a more polished WR of their choice, and still got defensive help with the remaining picks. Or taken 2 WR’s in the first 2 rounds, in what many consider the deepest WR draft in years, instead they leave the entire draft with 2 projects in Watson and Doubs. Sammy Watkins, Lazard, Watson, Doubs and the remains of Randall Cobb aren’t scaring too many secondary’s, and enable defenses to come after #12. Not to mention #12 has to be even more disgruntled, with a front office that has taken one offensive skill position player in the first round in his entire career, and it’s his backup Jordan Love.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Aaron Rodgers can make a so so receiver look good. No need to draft the top of the draft only to run out of funds.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I agree that Watson likely doesn’t translate into a ton of help this Fall. His ceiling is pretty high but that’s going to take time. The pick will appease fans, but ultimately may not fit the team’s timeline of win NOW.

I agree that trading a pick could’ve brought them immediate help. I wouldn’t have agreed with trading BOTH 1st round picks though. There simply wasn’t anyone knowingly available in the trade market that was worth that. Deebo isn’t a good fit with our current personnel and the 49ers would’ve wanted a ransom. The Metcalf rumors were just that – rumors. Terry McLaurin wasn’t ever leaving Washington. Michael Thomas is the latest name randomly thrown around. I don’t think the Saints are going to trade him inside the NFC (or at all). AJ Brown clearly was available, but was wanting a new contract as well.

There’s still a decent chance they make some kind of move. It was rumored they were kicking the tires on a Hollywood Brown trade before he was moved…which IMO would’ve been a mistake.

The Packers could really try to pivot into a ground and pound team given their lineup. The defense SHOULD be a top 10 unit next year. Make the playoffs whatever way possible, keep Rodgers healthy, then hope he has some magic left to throw the ball to a below average receiving group when things matter. Not maybe an ideal plan for fans, but they’re not exactly the Jaguars or Texans either.

I’m thinking 10-7, with a first round playoff loss with the roster as currently assembled.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.