A new M1…or a Vexilar?

• shockers
    Rochester

My old Marcum VX-1p is about 8 years old and when it works it’s great. But I’ve sent it in for repairs 3 times in those 8 years. To their credit, Marcum has great customer service. But I’d rather not worry about repairs.

So…

Been thinking whether to go for a new M1 from Marcum. Or…maybe splurge at some point on a Vexilar flx20.

Just really looking for solid, dependable long lasting flasher. And bottom zoom would be nice.

So for you guys who’ve gone from vx1 to an m1…or made the switch to vexilar…how has it gone?

MnPat1

Just really looking for solid, dependable long lasting flasher.

The vexilar is what you are looking for.

David Blais

I really like my hummingbird ice 45

ozzyky
    On water

Not sure a guy can really compare a M1 to a fl-20

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

If you want dependable years of service, you need vexilar. I have an fl18 with countless hours on it. Never had an issue in 14 years.

Brady Valberg

Something to think about would be a humminbird as well…i have an fl20 and it’s been flawless for years just a little loud is all the flx are nice and quiet. However with a bird you also get a GPS if that is something you would utilize? Just food for thought. Cant go wrong w the vex or Marcum I’m sure either

iTinker

Plenty of my buddies have had something go wrong with their Marcums. I rarely hear of anything breaking on a Vexilar.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

If you want dependable years of service, you need vexilar. I have an fl18 with countless hours on it. Never had an issue in 14 years.

X2
    16 years with mine and just upgraded to the FL28 last year. Sold the old FL18 for $350.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

My FL-8 is on to its new owner and still going. Bought it in 1999 and it has never been in for service of any type. My FL—18 is still going after 10 years and my FLX-28 is jamming along going on its third year. Between the 3 that’s 33 years of ownership and never needed service. I have beaten the hell out of them forever and they’re still going. Only thing that went bad was the carrying cases, fabric needed replacing on the FL-8 right before I gave it to the neighbor kid.

shockers
    Rochester

Thanks, guys. Yeah…for as much as the new bells and whistles are nice – and for as much as the Marcum has worked great for me when it works – I just really want peace of mind/reliability. Not just right out of the box – but 5 or 10 years down the road.

Appreciate the great feedback.

Far as I can tell, the FLX-20 came out a couple of years ago – so it is relatively new, but I’m assuming hopefully same level as reliability as the FL-20.

hnd

i had an fl18 before i switched over to a vx1 pro. then onto the lx5. i still have the pro and the lx5 and have had them almost 10 years with no issues. the fl18 had to go back and vexilar was great to work with.

That said, reliability is gonna go in vexilars corner every time. But as far as the better product from a fishing perspective give me the M1 easily.

Tom schmitt

I bought an old 20 for my wife and the only thing wrong with it is it’s so nice, I want one.
    You won’t regret the flx20

Ryan Wilson

i had an fl18 before i switched over to a vx1 pro. then onto the lx5. i still have the pro and the lx5 and have had them almost 10 years with no issues. the fl18 had to go back and vexilar was great to work with.

That said, reliability is gonna go in vexilars corner every time. But as far as the better product from a fishing perspective give me the M1 easily.

So, your fl18 had to go back to go back to Vexilar yet both of your Marcum’s have given you zero issues in a decade but you’re still giving reliability to Vexilar? How does that work? Also, what do you mean by “from a fishing perspective”? What else are you you using your sonar for other than fishing??? Your comment boggles the mind.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

My old Marcum VX-1p is about 8 years old and when it works it’s great. But I’ve sent it in for repairs 3 times in those 8 years. To their credit, Marcum has great customer service. But I’d rather not worry about repairs.

It seems you already had first hand experience with Marcum…”it’s great when it works”…and you’re certainly not alone.

That, and additional testimony here in regards to a unit where you’ll not likely worry about repairs is rather obvious and I believe this isn’t just a Ford vs Chevy argument. Marcum may be more advanced in some technology (LX-9, RT-9) but fall far short on meeting expectations and reliability.

Everyone has an opinion but eyewitness accounts are just stating facts as they are. (Their flashers were either in for repairs or have never been in for repairs)…rather plain and simple.

Let us know what you end up getting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.