A crappie’s dinner…

• Cw

JJ,

Have you looked at the “slider” that Jacob’s molds offers? Kinda torn between that and the do it.

Jimmy Jones

All of the paddle-tailed grub molds I got from Jacobs I’ve sold off. Clunky baits. I didn’t care for them at all.

Cw

I know it’s not a slider but this FGF mold I think will be a good addition. I am also torn on adding this epic mold to the collection. I have a few do it molds, but I seem to have better luck with Epic, FGF, AI over do it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0012.jpeg

2. IMG_0011.jpeg

tim hurley

Look at this combo!

Attachments:
    1. CF828480-14E0-4B78-9A7D-161D77D8C958-scaled.jpeg

tim hurley

I do a lot of drift trolling so that wide tail on the underside should give that jig with the aspirin pill head nice bounce and float. I have had great luck with the sickle style hook so liking that too-JJ should like the chartruese tail, great color contrast for dark water (probably would not use this one in clear though)All theory ’till she gets wet, went out today but I was too cold to do more than make sure everything on the boat was working.

Jimmy Jones

but I seem to have better luck with Epic, FGF, AI over do it.

If that’s where your confidence lies, use them.

tim hurley

CW-the ones on the left look great, I usually think paddle tails look pretty clunky.

Jimmy Jones

Pictures quite often do not do baits justice, but actually Tim the paddletails shown next to the others that Cw has posted look like they’re a nice bait. I have been going back and looking at the tails in this bait and sort of like it and the mold would make short work of doing the baits with a chartreuse tail.

I have a mold that does a bait very similar to the others on the left that Cw shows and the sunfish seem to be old pros at nipping the very end of the tails off. I’ve added hardener to the plastic to try to get it firm and tough enough that the sunnies can’t snatch the tails but to no avail.

Tim, that bait you show is one I used to make and fish often. Someone wanted to buy the mold when they were hard to find and I let it go but often wish I’d have held onto it. That baits does it all…. sunnies, crappies, perch.

tim hurley

Now look at these

Attachments:
    1. 7A2E2916-18C2-4888-AE00-DDE3F78B5367-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

Nope.Especially the one on the right.

tim hurley

The one on the left comes as a beaver tail but they add a slit that is easy to cut to make a perfect split tail. The one on the right is a Z-man so it is super bouyant but the long shank hook balances it so it stays horizontal, but really bounces with even a tap-My Neon Tetras love both!
    JJ good to know the style on the last one is effective-Thanks

tim hurley

Both are too big and clunky for right now, in August they will hit 3″ stuff trolled at 1mph-these are 1.75″ and I may try them in July. I know for sure pike will like. laugh

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.