A crappie’s dinner…

• Jimmy Jones

They gotta eat and more often than not what they eat may surprise a person. The two piles of baits seen here are what, color-wise and profile-wise, the crappies were chewing on yesterday so I made up a few for tomorrow’s excursion. Can never have too much bait ya know.

The purple baits to the left have zero colorant in the purple…. all glitter in a clear plastic. When purple is the food of choice for the crappies, this is the bait that goes to their dinner table. The Junebug baits to the right are absolutely my super serious go-to bait color when it comes to crappies.

Seen at the center is a 1.5″ paddletail that is also a great crappie bait. Seen center bottom is another of the “fry” style of baits that’s dressed up a little.

Attachments:
    1. 431335729_2048396415535808_9175568054677108108_n-1.jpg

2. 431335729_2048396415535808_9175568054677108108_n.jpg

haleysgold
    SE MN

JJ – You’ll have to help me on this one.
    The purple baits to the left have zero colorant in the purple…. all glitter in a clear plastic.

What do mean “zero colorant in the Purple”? Isn’t it purple colorant?

If I remember right, I have a few in my arsenal that look just like those in the pics!

BrianF

Tom, tell us what you believe re. crappies and color. Clearly, you’re a believer in a chartreuse tail, among other color schemes, but there has to be a reason for that.

What has been your experience relative to crappie color preferences? I’ve seen very strong color preferences for the same bait with smallmouth bass but don’t experiment with color much when crappie fishing. Mistake?

Riverrat

Ive always been a slipfloat fathead kinda guy, but with so many lakes being more restrictive than Bushwood soft plastics may be the way to go. Keep my fingers warmer too. Are those little spermicals hollow inside like a crappie tube?

Jimmy Jones

Haley’s…. normally I would add a liquid colorant to the raw plastic to get the purple. Using just the clear plastic and a load of glitter gets the purple you see in the picture but if you were to hold one of the baits up to the light you’d see that there is some transparency in spite of the heavy glitter load. We noticed to an extend last fall that crappies seemed to prfer the baits with just the clear plastic/glitter and we think its because the bait in the water any show some of the transparency the crappies may equate to a minnow. That’s what I think that is ruling the preference, but then its really speculation at this point.

BrianF. When I have been asked what my favorite colors are for crappies, I’ve been know to reply ” any color as long as it has the chartereuse tail”. And that stand regardless of bait size, action, profile, yada, yada. In my world of crappie fishing with plastic baits, that chartreuse tail is everything. The junebug and the purple baits with the chartreuse tails are by far and away the most productive bait colors I use and that travels with me to all waters and water colors/clarities. Make a clear bait with heavy “partycrasher” glitter, which is a multicolor, fine, holographic string glitter and another which I call bluegill, another clear plastic with a blend of blue, purple, green and gold .015 glitter in equal portions and both of these color fit right in with the purple and the junebug in importance in my tackle pail.

Every one of the colors I have mentioned have taken some serious smallmouth bass during the immediate ice-out period on a couple lakes when and while fishing for crappies. My observation is that the two fish will relate to the same identical water and depths for at least a couple weeks during this cold water period [35 to 40 degrees] on these two lakes. Other lakes and that coincidence? No idea.

The colors I am describing here are my confidence colors. Another confidence color is the purple/fine blue glitter that I paint every one of my crappie jig heads with. If the purple is not available, I’ll scratch whatever paint is on a head off and fish just plain old lead color. These colors and head color have been my thing for over 40 years.

I’ve mentioned this in other threads: I almost dote on water temperature. In so many instances crappies can be marked in wide open water at a specific depth for no apparent reason. Oftem times they are there because the water temp is comfortable for them or it may a temp that is also holding forage that you can’t see on the electronics. I use a submersible stream thermometer with a cord of about 8 feet tied on. If the suspended fish I mark are deeper than the 8 feet I’ll tie the thermometer to a line and drop it down there and find out just what the water temp is at that point. Nine times out of ten there will be a couple degrees of variation above or below or both. If you are on a larger water, very often you can locate other schools of crappies in similar settings by checking water temps for what they were back at that first depth. As one gets close to the spawn…. close but still not there…. I often find larger crappies out at the first primary break or shelf with fanned out nests, actively spawning while the shoreline water may be well a week away from spawning temps. Again, only theory, I believe that the larger fish take advantage of much more stable water temps, usually six or seven degrees cooler where its deeper and less likely to affected by weather changes and heavy rains that can wreak havoc on shoreline spawning sites. This deeper spawning also affords the crappies more diffusion on the surface and they’re more comfortable with the light levels deeper, especially on days with high skies.

I tend to be a compact angler with such strong preferences and confidences. I tend to be a fast angle too. Meaning that if I have any idea crappies are present and they fail to get after my first color choice within five minutes, I’ll switch colors and give it another five minutes. And change again. When I’ve run thru my gammut of pet colors I start in all over again with a bait of a different profile. I seldom work a spot for over a half hour, but I will return to a cold spot before leaving the lake and have often found the bite on at that stop.

My fishing partner and I use a locator to monitor water depth but pay little attention to water temp as the transducer rides about 10″ below the surface and right on the transom and we’ve never seen any fish right there. We’re not scree waters. I think its more important to pay attention to the little things that fish will relay to while being caught and by all means don’t be afraid to tie on something completely different from where your confidences are telling you not to. Last afll we found a beauty of a school of large crappies suspended at 12 feet over 28 feet of water right on a super steep shoreline bank that went straight down into the water. ten feet from shore we were on 28 feet. These fish were on a junebug bite, the same bait seen here. For giggles I tied on a small Scheel’s branded lipless vibe bait and dropped it down to about 10-1/2 feet and gentle jigging it every 20 seconds or so, letting it sit idle between jigs. The largest crappies of the morning were banging that thing almost instantly. Even the go-to, confidence in the extreem fry bait basically went untouched at the depth, but those much larger fish had zero issues about nailing it. Had that spirit not moved me, I would have missed out on those super nice fish.

First and foremost: any bait, any color, as long as it has a chartreuse tail. That’s my standby. And the stories I could tell of how fishing simply quit happening when a sunfish decided to remove that chartreuse tail could go on and on.

And, no, riverrat, these are solid bodies. I fish them on any 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 or even 3/32 head as long as it has a #4 hook.

Cw

Jimmy what molds are those?

I wish I could find a brewer slider mold.

Jimmy Jones

The crappies were popping this morning. Dinner tonight will be crappies.

Cw. That’s the Do-It Mold’s 2-1/4″ Small Fry bait. A super bait I might add. Very versatile as far as manipulating it and super productive in the crappie department.

Do-It Molds also makes a 1.5″ Paddletail that beats a Brewer hands down. Much smaller and thinner tail button, plus the web between the button and the body of the bait is also very thin which means that tail button moves with hardly a twitch. Current alone will move that tail.

BrianF

Do-It Molds also makes a 1.5″ Paddletail that beats a Brewer hands down. Much smaller and thinner tail button, plus the web between the button and the body of the bait is also very thin which means that tail button moves with hardly a twitch. Current alone will move that tail.

Now you tell us…

I’ve got dozens of packs of Charlie Brewer 1.5″ paddletails. Black/Glo tail catches everything that swims! If the Do-It molds are even equally as good, then that’s high praise.

Baby Shads and Brewers are a mainstay on my crappie rods. Those Baby Shads pair well with a 1/16 or 1/32 Mooneye. I like the large eye and the UV colors available on those jigheads and have seen instances where it made a huge difference.

Jimmy Jones

brewer’s patent protection pretty much make copying the baits or making a mold a no-no, but since Brewer’s inception there have been a ton of molds and baits of similar size and actions that surpass anything Brewer makes. Jacobsbaits.com offers a couple of paddletail molds in the 1.5″ and 2″ sizes that are super good crappie plastics. Several years ago when the crappie tournament fishing began to take off, Culprit Baits opened a Crappie/Panfish secion in the bait line -up and I was on their product support staff for 18 years. Those paddletails, when they were still available, were perhaps the best paddletail of crappie size ever produced. You can still buy an identical product from BigBiteBaits.come. Culprit sent thier crappie plastic production to China. China recognizes no American patent protections and make millions of the baits to fill Culprit’s order demands, then opened the flood gate to internet sales which ultimately led to the end of that division of Culprit. BIG BITE still buys from the Chinese, hence the availability. I won’t buy a BigBiteBait, but I do make my own using the Do-It molds.

Cw

The crappies were popping this morning. Dinner tonight will be crappies.

Cw. That’s the Do-It Mold’s 2-1/4″ Small Fry bait. A super bait I might add. Very versatile as far as manipulating it and super productive in the crappie department.

Weird I can’t find it, my favorite mold for crappies open water has been the Epic Bait Molds 1.7 Prey bait.

Jimmy Jones

Here’s what I call my confidence package. It shows the three primary baits profiles I rely on along with three jigs, the two on the right with sickle hooks are 1/16 ounce , one with a #6 hook the other with a #4. The Larger hook goes with the 2-1/4 Small Fry bait shown in the picture near the float. The jig on the left is a 1/24 with a conventional bend #6 hook and is used situationally in the rest of the baits shown. The 1/24 I also make using the sickle hook in #6. I’ll get back to the hooks in a sec.

The Do-It Molds’ paddletail, also called the Thump-It on Do-It’s site, is seen just to the right of the float. This little beast beats the crap out of Brewer’s stuff when it comes to the tail button and webbing.

The four like baits are from a Ukrainian pre-war set of molds and are as close to Kietech’s Swim Impact 2″ bait as one can get. The difference between a Keitech and these is that in no way can one buy a chartreuse tail on a Keitech. Nor can the body colors be bought that come close to these in the picture. Junebug, purple, partcrasher glitter in clear and the bluegill glitter blend in clear plastic are the four colors I do in each of the baits shown here and I do not leave home without all four colors in all of the bait profiles. This is a hard and fast rule. And like the Do-It Thump-It’s tail and webbing, these skinny Kietech look-alikes’ tails and webbing make a brewer plastic look like a club.

Some will argue over the merits of the sickle hook. I’m ok using either a sickle hook or a conventional bend in a hook for my jigs. I guess I reach for the sickle more than the conventional bend but there’s no real rhyme nor reason to it. The keeper wire now…. that’s a must. I cast all my jigs using the keeper wire and trim about 2/3 of the barb down as seen here and the smaller stub does a super good job of holding plastics over the long haul without tearing the head end up.

Jighead color…. this is my color. I made this using automotive grade transparent purple powder paint and add a little blue .008 Canada blue glitter to it along with a wee bit of violet hi lite powder to offer some contrast that goes a long way to the depth of the color. Even on these small heads the color looks 4″ thick because the paint is transparent and has gone directly on freshly cast, shiny jigs. Do I carry other colors of jigs? Only a few and I haven’t had the occasion to tie a different color on a line in maybe five or six years. For me the purple seen here is my hallmark color.

Depending on the depth I need to fish, I’ll match head weight to the bait being used to take care of business. Plastics-wise, from early ice out until some serious pre-spawn staging develops, I use the Fry bait and the Keitch look-alikes. The Do-It paddletail goes on when I start seeing evidence that a pre-spawn scenario is developing and with stick with the paddletail throughout the spawning period. Longer baits seem to result in missed hits during this period as the fanning fish or bedded fish will simply pick a bait that gets near the nest up by the tail and carry it away and spit it out. The shorter bait really improves the hook-up ratio when the fish are in spawning mode.

The float…. For years I was a huge fan of the Thill Mini-Stealth is the #2 and #3 sizes that took care of the jig weights I preferred. Thill dumped production of the Mini-Stealth floats several years ago and not being willing to give in to not being able to find any I decided to make my own. While not exact, these home spun floats still feature the rounded bottom, tapered body and the stem which can be used either as a static float with the silicone bands or as a slip float. Fishing water less than three feet deep I prefer to rig the float static, which still allows one to slip the float up or down to adjust for depth changes without requiring the line to be cut to do so. As a slip float they work super down to twenty feet, but after that hooking can be an issue. The good news is that I never fish more than 10 or twelve feet deep with a float. and here’s the real deal about these floats….

Thill’s float and those that I make are actually a very unstable float. Toss one on the water and they lay on their sides. Now put a jig under them and they stand right straight up in the water. ANY, and I do mean ANY, slightest lift or knock sideways that gives any lift to the float upsets the stability and the float will flop right over on its side. The rounded bottom simply does not allow the float to stand without weight under it. Period. There is no other float on or in the market today that behaves this way, nor can any other market float react with the sensitivity that this float does. And as a bonus when used as a slip float, the compact size sitting right down on the jig during a cast allows one to rifle casts like no tomorrow since there isn’t any gangly sticks or lopsided, long bobber body to create a mess of air resistance. Where I fish in the backwaters right now, I am getting 60+ foot casts on 4 pond XL with a 1/16 jig and plastic. This float is literally the heart and soul of my fishing package.

Shown with the dime for size reference, nothing here is huge or combersome. Virtually every plastic wears a chartreuse tail. Everything is tailored for a specific purpose, yet allows me to fish minimally from immediate ice out until winter locks things up again.

I have mentioned this often and will do so again. My baits go from mold to 4X4 laminated ziplock bait bags and are given a substantial dosing of Gulp Minnow juice. I buy the spray bottles for this. Yes, I hear the argument that being a petroleum based plastic product that this Gulp stuff won’t work on the baits, BUT!… I see a significant difference between these treated baits and those that have not been treated and the treated baits do things that the untreated simple do not or can not. To this, to each his own.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Yes, I have and make and carry a few other baits that I use in my quest for crappies. The colors for the most part are the same as what you see here, they just offer a different profile or slightly different type of action. I may a 1-7/8″ horizontal, split tailed minnow that at times can be a head turner too.

My favorite crappie rod length is 7 foot. My reels are generally 1000 series Saharas, Symtres, or a Scheels branded 1000 series. XL 4 pound, clear. I do enjoy the vertical aspect that lipless cranks and jigging dock pilings can offer and I have three 6’6″ rods with 750 series reels on them spooled with the grey Clam Frost braid that are used specifically for this activity.

I’m actually a very simple angler once one understands that I have put in a huge amount of time learning to understand my quarry and refining my tackle to match circumstances that come along.

Attachments:
    1. 432232683_2050564958652287_7075493147905587168_n.jpg

Cw

Do-It Molds also makes a 1.5″ Paddletail that beats a Brewer hands down.

This one I can not find.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks for posting that Tom. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this stuff.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What I find about the Bobby Garland Baby Shad is they are triangular shaped and when rigged right either 1/32 or 1/16 when they fall they rock back and forth, ( where round does not do this ) and the plastic is ultra soft. The Bobby Garlands are my go to bait cannot remember the last time I have used live bait, either casting or under a float.

Jimmy Jones

The Fry baits [shads] shown in the opening post picture have triangular tails from the body to the tip of the tail and they are all action. The bodies on these baits is streamlined to the max.

Garland offers nothing with a chartreuse tail in the shads other than a chartreuse bait.

BrianF

Tom, great post above. Appreciate you sharing these insights to help all of us up the learning curve quicker.

Couple of thoughts…

Sickle hook jigheads: I liked the sickle concept and bought a bunch of packs of them. Had some real-world problems with hook-ups though once I began using them. Too many missed fish.

The problem is solved by bending the hook point up about 15 degrees and to one side another 15 degrees. Actually, I do this on all round bend hooks too. Makes huge difference in the number of missed fish. No one would ever buy a hook off the shelf that looks like that, but don’t let that fool you. When you lose four fish in a row, try yourself and see.

I think that hook points being perfectly in-line with the jig line tie and perfectly parallel to the jig shank give an optical illusion of superior design, but they also give an advantage to the fish in my experience. Never have seen a case when bending that point up and out to the side didn’t result in better hook-ups.

Do you ever modify your hooks in any way to improve hook-ups?

Scents: I believe in certain scents, though often too lazy to apply them religiously until my partners start kicking my butt using them. As a side note, a Gulp minnow under a bobber has accounted for all of my crappies 16″+ except for one.

Speaking of scent, I’m wondering if you ever use superglue or gel to hold your plastics in place? One thing I have noticed both ice fishing and an open water is that my productivity declined when using glue. Not just once, but lots of times. I now view superglue as almost a repellent of sorts and try to find jig heads that will hold plastics in place without it.

Do you have any thoughts or experience about using superglue?

Cw

Brian,

All the plastics I make, I do about half and half scented and not. Typically I don’t notice a difference. I have 6 or 7 different scents that I use.

I will say though that Billy rub stuff can be incredible.

Rarely do I use livebait for crappies and panfish year round. If I’m set up for the night in a spot, sure of if I’m in an area with mags, I’ll usually throw down a walleye sized fathead.

When in season, I do find soaking a decoy sized sucker for whatever reason will hold bluegills around you longer.

Jimmy Jones

Brian, I make all of my panfish jigs with the wire keeper seen in the pics. I snip about 2/3 of the barb on that keeper off and that seems plenty to secure most plastics. as for supper glue, no, I do not use it.

On the hooks, there are a myriad of hooks out there and to be blunt, they’re not created equal. I will do some torquing on the barb end of some hooks after giving them the eye for a minute before fishing them. One has to…. the angle of the hook past the bend can be a real pain even within the same lot of the same brand and size. I like to nudge the barb off to the side about 10 degrees on most and that takes care of the disparity at the actual point of the barb.

Cw…. are you putting the scent in the raw plastic and cooking it in or just adding scent to the bait bag? I’ll add scent to the bait bags, but I don’t cook it in.

Cw

Cw…. are you putting the scent in the raw plastic and cooking it in or just adding scent to the bait bag? I’ll add scent to the bait bags, but I don’t cook it in.

It’s the last thing I add in before pouring, hit temp, good mix, add in scent and shoot.

When I bag them I add some oil and some more scent too.

I don’t think it matters either to be honest.

Jimmy Jones

BrianF makes a comment above about a Brewer Slider in black/glo being his pet color and honestly black is a dynamite body color and is especially resourceful as a reverse contrast color or at night. There is nothing in nature as black as the black color used in baits and even in heavily silted, stained water black will stand out against it, hence the term “reverse contrast” when one would generally think in terms of a lighter or brighter color as a contrast color. In the examples of baits and colors I’ve shown only the Junebug/chartreuse has any actual colorant in the plastic and even then, the amount or intensity of the color is kept in check so that after the glitter has been added and the baits injected, the Junebug color will still have an element of transparency to it. I prefer a degree of transparency to my baits over, say, a solid color like black, but its more a personal preference than anything.

Brian also mentions the Brewer Slider, and to the company’s credit they do have an outstanding selection of colors within the crappie size realm and they do offer the chartreuse tail colors. I’m a color nut and I have several companys’ bait color plates saved on the computer that I study a couple times each year as they release new colors. I’ll also spend an lot of time in the plastics aisles of Scheels and joes and Fleet Farm when the new colors are released to see if I am missing something. Anything new that trips my trigger I buy a package and spend time with the new color on the bench. Sometimes a new color will move earth a couple times during a season and its fun to have it along, but al in all, day in ,day out, the colors and baits shown in this thread are all I need.

Cw

I understand the science behind colors, what fish see, depth etc.

But if you put a gun to my head and said you will fish a black plastic for anything, I will ask you what caliber it is before I open the bail to make a cast.

My point is I think confidence means as much if not more than the color. Profile and presentation are way more important than color in my opinion.

Jimmy Jones

We can agree to disagree then? I’m only offering the comments on black because it can be a dynamite color at times. Personally? I have zero black anything in my tackle pails right now for any kind of fish be they crappies, pannies, waldo, bass, pike. And everyone has a color that become a go-to or confidence color for them. Bottom line is that black works well for some people. Just not me.

Every bait in every pic in this thread is done in my 4 confidence colors shown in the second picture. What others find confidence in has no bearing on what I use or why I use it.

In the second picture I included three different baits that make up my confidence profiles. I make another, a split tailed fluke-type minnow bait that measures 1-7/8″ and is formatted in the mold so doing the horizontal laminated colors is a snap. These minnow baits have their place but only in certain instances and every one of them is kept in a Gulp jar with the Gulp juice in it. There are instances where these minnows just tear up the crappies, but those instances are not super common and if the minnow is going to work there will be no doubt about it. They either catch or they do not. That said, profile too becomes a matter of personal preference…. personal confidence if you will.

Now presentation…. volumes could be written regarding that aspect but let’s do a condensed version. Too many people are stuck on one or two styles of bait delivery. Many here understand that crappies can be a fickle fish and decide to change what they want color-wise, size-wise, and/or profile-wise in a heartbeat, but that can also include presentation. If someone is not willing to change presentations when the fish are calling for change, I would expect they’d get tired of going fishless. I think we both can agree that presentation on any given day or part of a day is something that can make or break the day.

Cw

Not disagreeing or saying you are wrong or being disrespectful at all, I know there are millions of fish caught on black colors. I just have absolute zero confidence in that color. lol

Jimmy Jones

As do I. Didn’t mean to sound like I was calling you out, just explaining my stance.

Cw

Talking about presentations. One that is never talked about and is super deadly is drop shotting for them with a fly or a plastic. When that water is in the 40s and low 50s. a well presented fly can be stupid good.

Jimmy Jones

Talking about presentations. One that is never talked about and is super deadly is drop shotting for them with a fly or a plastic. When that water is in the 40s and low 50s. a well presented fly can be stupid good.

Shhhhhhhhh. And don’t ever try that fly under the ice on a drop shot!

Cw

Shhhhhhhhh. And don’t ever try that fly under the ice on a drop shot!

Made some money back in the day on the NAIFC and UPL when I was really mad at em!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.