a 4 block no go zone in Minneapolis?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Looks friendly enough to me. Packing the kids and wife in the van and headed on down. Should be a great time.

Check out Victor’s 1959 Cafe near there. Wonderful Cuban food

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Holy crap, Victor’s 1959 Cafe looks wonderful.

I’d risk life and limb for a good Cuban sammich.

I haven’t had a good one since I was in Miami about 8 years ago.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve said this before on various threads but the whole city versus country thing and the name calling is beyond frustrating to me. This started with the “citiot” phrase coined by a few on here. Apparently we’ve now come up with ruraltard….catchy but still downright off base imho. We don’t need more “us versus them” mentality anywhere. While it may seem minor this just perpetuates the issues we have in this country.

I live in S Mpls…..2 miles from the Floyd killing. Been to the site a few times and it was peaceful. Maybe that has changed as referenced in the thread and the various articles posted. No one should be allowed to declare an autonomous zone. The authorities need to clean that up.

I love the city of minneapolis. We’re renovating our house because we want to stay. I want to see the city what it was just 12 months ago. I do fear it’s changed forever but I’m going to support my community. I hope those that live in other communities would do the same. I won’t fault you for it or call you names.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There was a lot of assumptions being thrown around with my comment. The City of Minneapolis is a “no-go zone” for me (notice how I didn’t push my opinion onto anyone else, but some took offense to it anyways?).

I’m a fairly moderate person who simply thinks large cities are overrated. I went to college in one, have friends living in them, and choose to live in rural areas. It has ZERO to do with my perception of safety or current events and more to do with my desire to be away from crowds, noise, pollution, etc. If I have time beyond on work I’m coaching, fishing, hunting, or relaxing somewhere outside with family and close friends. Concerts, packed bars, traffic, parking chaos, etc. are not to me. I’m the crazy guy who regularly leaves a good walleye/sauger bite on the river solely to try and find one where nobody is around.

Ripjiggen

That whole city is a “no go zone” and has been long before these situations in recent years.

Sorry but that is not exactly what you said. You did not state for me at all in you original post. Just sayin.

If in fact you meant for you because you are not a fan of big cities and you like being more rural what does that have to do with the original post?

Sorry not buying it…

RT
    Twin Cities

I’ve said this before on various threads but the whole city versus country thing and the name calling is beyond frustrating to me. This started with the “citiot” phrase coined by a few on here. Apparently we’ve now come up with ruraltard….catchy but still downright off base imho. We don’t need more “us versus them” mentality anywhere. While it may seem minor this just perpetuates the issues we have in this country.

I live in S Mpls…..2 miles from the Floyd killing. Been to the site a few times and it was peaceful. Maybe that has changed as referenced in the thread and the various articles posted. No one should be allowed to declare an autonomous zone. The authorities need to clean that up.

I love the city of minneapolis. We’re renovating our house because we want to stay. I want to see the city what it was just 12 months ago. I do fear it’s changed forever but I’m going to support my community. I hope those that live in other communities would do the same. I won’t fault you for it or call you names.

Killed???

He died of a fentanyl overdose with contributing factors of cardiopulmonary hypertension and cardiac erythema.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’ve said this before on various threads but the whole city versus country thing and the name calling is beyond frustrating to me. This started with the “citiot” phrase coined by a few on here.

I agree. Most people that rip on the city have probably never been there save for a Vikings game or Garth Brooks concert they attended 20 years ago. Its common to see rural people rip on the metro. its not very common i see a conversation start out the other way around. Regardless of who starts it i agree it would be nice if we could accept that what works for one man and his family doesn’t have to be a source of criticism and a put down for another.

Personally I enjoy the city, the country and everywhere in between

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    That whole city is a “no go zone” and has been long before these situations in recent years.

Sorry but that is not exactly what you said. You did not state for me at all in you original post. Just sayin.

If in fact you meant for you because you are not a fan of big cities and you like being more rural what does that have to do with the original post?

Sorry not buying it…

I’m not shocked you and some others would take it the wrong way. I speak for myself and not others. My own wife frequents the cities to catch up with friends. I have no interests there and spend my time elsewhere.

For me, it’s a “no-go”. If you’d like to read into that further, be my guest?

It’s good to know I can live in some people’s minds rent free, with just one statement

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

My wife used to live a block off Powderhorn Park. You know, the one they’ve taken tax payer money and turned into a homeless park.

No thanks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You know, the one they’ve taken tax payer money and turned into a homeless park.

I believe authorities cleared that one recently.

They’ll probably be back though.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Sorry not buying it…

I’m not shocked you and some others would take it the wrong way. I speak for myself and not others. My own wife frequents the cities to catch up with friends. I have no interests there and spend my time elsewhere.

For me, it’s a “no-go”. If you’d like to read into that further, be my guest?

It’s good to know I can live in some people’s minds rent free, with just one statement

I didn’t take it the wrong way. I took it how it was written. Apparently not the only one. If that is not what you meant then cool. Not offended. Wasn’t before either. Just reading how it was written originally.
    Thanks for clearing that up, and letting us know that you don’t frequent the city that this thread is about. Apparently in quite sometime.waytogo

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My wife used to live a block off Powderhorn Park. You know, the one they’ve taken tax payer money and turned into a homeless park.

No thanks.

Nobody is suggesting the city has to be your thing. The point is people shouldn’t be called idiots because they call the city home or otherwise enjoy it. You know ‘different strokes for different folks’.

Powederhorn Park is one park in a city full of parks and one example of tax payer money used poorly (according to you) in a sea of examples.

I’ve been to forest lake a handful of times. Wouldnt claim to be an expert on all the good things and all the terrible things that happen there. Unless you frequent minneapolis on a regular basis I would suggest you take the same approach.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So why is the city still allowing this to exist? Is this a new thimg MPLS is allowing now? Kinda figured it would be torn down after a day or two. The MPLS I grew up in would of taken care of this right away.

Deuces

It’s getting hard to stay here. It was trending wonderfully up to this civil unrest crap. Can’t tell you how many drive-by shootings there have been in last week just within half mile of my home, two yesterday.

Want to be part of the change but at what cost? Almost parallel it to the wild west front honestly. Change is needed, change is wanted, but what kind of change and who is making it? I don’t like any of the progressive changes, criminals do and it’s showing.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Crappie- you seem to have a target on me. You stated your opinion, I stated mine. I wasn’t disrespectful or called anyone names.

And last I heard they were discussing whether to allow more parks to do the same thing, so I think it’s a very relevant point to this topic.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I sure hope the Mayors do a 180 and quickly. We went to St Paul this weekend for our anniversary and drove through our old neighborhood, and it was a real eye opener in a very sad way. We used to live off Englewood and Lexington, just up from Lex and University. It was never like Mayberry, but it was nice and safe enough for my wife before we met to live alone, and nice enough for me to walk the dog at night or the morning with little to no fear. I don’t know if the same can be said now. All the businesses were boarded up, only open window at Popeyes was the drive thru, DQ closed and boarded up, Auto Zone half burnt down and closed, really sad. We drove down University and it was the same basically into DT St. Paul. Anyone with the means is going to leave, and anyone without the means gets to deal with the fallout, just a terrible situation that needs to be fixed yesterday.

Fowldreams55398

Get the bulldozers out and start pushing. What’s worth saving down there? Schmitt hole in every direction. Wait until the cops get off from the Floyd overdose. Peaceful protest my ass will come and need to be met with artillery. Nobody wants to deal with the crime at all. The Somali’s have been a issue from day one and now they’re even voted in to office to keep it a Schmitt show. But everyone pretend these things aren’t happening.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.