a 4 block no go zone in Minneapolis?

• Beast

Just seen it on the channel 5 news, a 4 block area that has barriers up and they are not allowing the city to open this area up until they’re list of demands are met. And are so threatening the police won’t go in. who are these people? Meanwhile shootings, beatings, robbery and extortion going on out in the open. who’s brain trust thinks this is a good idea? The whole news story just left me speechless.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

That whole city is a “no go zone” and has been long before these situations in recent years.

Ripjiggen

That whole city is a “no go zone” and has been long before these situations in recent years.

I disagree that it was a no go zone before. Maybe for you and I will admit I didn’t go often, when I did for a concert or sporting event. Downtown was plenty busy. I work in the liquor world and can tell you by the numbers it was plenty busy before. Parts of the city were definitely less zone so to speak but plenty of areas of that city that were very busy to say the least. Going to be a long while before it gets back to even a fraction of what it was.

Jonesy

Thing is this isn’t new. MPD has been treating areas as no go zones since the riots began. The news is just now picking up on it.

B-man

Will they allow an amblance in if someone gets shot?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

That report was from August 5th, 6 weeks ago.

HRG

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What area in Minneapolis is this?

I’m all over Minneapolis every day. Just yesterday I worked a cross the street from cup foods. Where floyd was shot. I’ve never been bothered by any one besides asking if I have a few bucks or smokes.
    I also choose not to go there with my free time, only for work. And sadly after the riots I have to go to these more dangerous hoods to tear down these destroyed buildings

blackbay
    mn

From KSTP “The barricaded zone is a one-block radius from the intersection of Chicago Avenue South and East 38th Street, flanked on the north and south by 37th and 39th streets and on the east and west by Elliot and Columbus avenues.”

Seems like something isn’t adding up here. The guy got robbed more than a month ago. Where there barricades then or just now? Why is this so called zone just making news now? WTH

Bearcat you say you were there yesterday. Were there barricades set up?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

LMAO…Minneapolis was an absolute great city before all this went down. You’d have to have been a ruraltard if you didn’t come down to the cities over that last decade. The restaurants were some of the best in the country. Breweries were growing like wild fire producing some of the best beers, the bike trial system was among the best in the country, great food truck explosion over the last few years, The north loop has transformed into one of the most popular areas, downtown was exciting and safe to walk around in…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

https://kstp.com/news/police-say-autonomous-zone-blocked-emergency-response-to-brutal-assault-citizens-group-disagrees/5866263/

I think this is the story you are talking about? It’s crazy they allow this to happen in major US cities. FWIW I’m not currently, nor have I ever been, scared to walk down any street in MSP or StP. I used to live by Frogtown and would walk my dog thru there every morning, and spent plenty of time over North, Southside and Nordeast as well.

Deuces

Can’t even keep up with the echochambered ruraltards nowadays.

Yup, mpls sux. Stay out. coffee

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

I’m new to the term “ruraltard”. What are we saying exactly?

blackbay
    mn

Can’t even keep up with the echochambered ruraltards nowadays.

Yup, mpls sux. Stay out. coffee

For me it’s a factor of not like being surrounded by people or giant concrete buildings. To me cities are claustrophobic.

Oh and parking sucks.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I’m all over Minneapolis every day. Just yesterday I worked a cross the street from cup foods. Where floyd was shot. I’ve never been bothered by any one besides asking if I have a few bucks or smokes.

Floyd got shot now too?

mojogunter

If you’re serious, and not being sarcastic. (Note 95% of written sarcasm is not picked up on) It is a not so witty comeback to the cidiot, or citiot for the rural dweller that has never been in a metro area, but yet will bash and spout self proclaimed facts reassuring their own inner child fears and or self loathing to attempt to make themselves feel better.

AnotherFisherman

I work in downtown Mpls. I have no problem being down here and have never felt unsafe. Media portrays things in wild and crazy ways. We see what we want to see nowadays depending on which station we watch. it’s sad.

Edit: I’m also a tall white male, so take that FWIW.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I find all this kinda humorous. (the back & forth on this thread)

Let me break things down for you. If you live & work in the metro enjoy all it has to offer you. If you don’t like what the metro offers, stay out. Not hard, pretty easy in fact.

Personally I don’t like crowds and tend to stay away from them. I don’t fear criminals but do understand where they seem to hang out and the best times and places to avoid them.

I was pretty much raised in the metro and spent most of my adult life within 60 miles if it. I now choose (my choice) to get farther away from it. If there is something or some reason to visit the metro in the years to come I will. I will likely survive the encounter. grin

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If you’re serious, and not being sarcastic. (Note 95% of written sarcasm is not picked up on) It is a not so witty comeback to the cidiot, or citiot for the rural dweller that has never been in a metro area, but yet will bash and spout self proclaimed facts reassuring their own inner child fears and or self loathing to attempt to make themselves feel better.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tyler Kalishek wrote:</div>

spot on!

I don’t live in the city any longer but i have on 2 different occasions for several years at a time. I used to live on 38th and 5th Ave S which is about 3 blocks away from Cup Foods where Floyd died. I never once felt worried about walking around and that isn’t the best area in town. I think being scared to walk around is not a reflection of whats happening around you but of whats happening WITHIN you

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Floyd got shot now too?

I’m sure most know what I meant. Not shot. My apologies for lack of coffee before I wrote this.

I am actually here again today on 38th. I see more urban looking white people walking with cute little dogs then anything. Maybe because I’m here from 6am to 3 ?

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Albrecht wrote:</div>

Floyd got shot now too?

I’m sure most know what I meant. Not shot. My apologies for lack of coffee before I wrote this.

I am actually here again today on 38th. I see more urban looking white people walking with cute little dogs then anything. Maybe because I’m here from 6am to 3 ?

Haha I’m just busting your chops

munchy
    NULL

I am actually here again today on 38th.

So just for clarification of the thread (and the fact that I’m about 80 miles south and have no need to investigate for myself) is there an “Autonomous Zone” around the area in question or did the media (once again) produce what some would call “Fake News”?

munchy
    NULL

Floyd got shot now too?

However the main cause of death was listed as Covid and Syphilis.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am actually here again today on 38th.

So just for clarification of the thread (and the fact that I’m about 80 miles south and have no need to investigate for myself) is there an “Autonomous Zone” around the area in question or did the media (once again) produce what some would call “Fake News”?

I had no idea I was in the “zone” if that answers your question

munchy
    NULL

I had no idea I was in the “zone” if that answers your question

Story of my life…. bawling

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ve never felt unsafe there. Minneapolis is a great city, and it’ll take more than a slew of criminals turning lawful protests into lawless riots to end that.

These reports are: 1. Sensationalized, and 2. 6 weeks old, and 3. Disputed in the original new article, which I will post.

https://kstp.com/news/police-say-autonomous-zone-blocked-emergency-response-to-brutal-assault-citizens-group-disagrees/5866263/

hnd

I have a friend that lives in downtown portland. He also goes to work every day works for city hall and goes about his morning and evening commutes unabated. He is like basically These idiot rioters are only really doing anything during the late evening or on the weekends so its not much of an issue. and its mostly relegated to near finite sections of the city. I assume the its basically the same in MPLS.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Will they allow an amblance in if someone gets shot?

Only if the person who was shot is black, otherwise no, no ambulances lol

Beast

My wife is from West St. Paul we lived in Cottage Grove for 5-6 years. we both were never so happy to put the twin cities in the rear view mirror and move, and that was back in 1986, I can’t even imagine living there now, but I guess you cab get use to anything if you don’t know any better…. devil

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Our works shop is off Dowling and I work all over the cities every day all day and many nights. There are definitely rough spots and places not to go, especially after dark but most of the areas are decent from what I can see.
    Working nights cutting concrete we run in to alot of iffy people, but only once in 12 years has there ever been a real incident.
    However I would never live there, I come from the woods and will always want to be in the woods

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks friendly enough to me. Packing the kids and wife in the van and headed on down. Should be a great time.

Attachments:
    1. 20200918_165624.jpg

2. 20200918_165605.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.