Chequamegon bay

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

The smallie spawn is winding down fast. We are catching mostly spawned out females though some fish are still on bed out in the deeper 6 to 8 ft of water. Many of the fish are moving deeper to the weedbeds in the vicinity of the major spawning areas. Guys I fished with Mon stated there was fish out on the deep edge near Long Island so the summer patterns are coming into play. Hot baits have been both All Terrain Tackle and Brovarney swim jigs with YUM MUY GRANDE GRUBS as trailers. Stanley Icon spinnerbaits have also been very good. The fish up shallow have been aggressively taking YUM Dingers, Northland Dipsticks and Mister Twister Comidas fished wacky style. On Monday the hot bait early in the day was a Rapala DT 4 crankbait. Time to run around and look for weedbeds in 10 to 12 feet of water. Smallies love the weedbeds to recover in and you will catch more fish if you cast right into the weedbed instead of just work the edges. I hope to update my fishing reports with pics in the next few days. All of my clients deserve some recognition for catching big smallies on the bay. Will follow this note with a few recent pics. Have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July holiday. I am going to chase some muskies!!
    Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

A few more pics

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

more great smallies

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

couple more

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

last one for now

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great report and pics, Chris,
    just love those fish..
    thanks,
    Jack.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Chris:

Great report as always; have fun chasing the ‘skies!!!

Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.