3/23/07 My First Report

• neutron
    Onalaska, Wi

I had the opportunity to spend a day on the lake with my dad for the first time in many years. We do alot of other fishing together but this is a special trip for us. So the day was a good day before we even got there.

We arrived at the lake about 6:30 and had all the lines set by 7:00. We started in 18′-20′ of water. With no action by 8:00, I started drilling holes and moving deeper. When we got in 24′-28′ we finally started getting bites on the tip-ups, but were unable to get a hookup. They would either droped the minnow or we couldn’t get a hook into the fish while they were running. Finally at 10:30 I picked up a 15″ Coho in my jig rod. Dad had caught 2 Smelt. At around 10:30 the bite turned on and I was able to connect with 3 more Coho’s and dad was able to connect with 2 Coho’s, by 11:30. There were numerous bites on the tip-ups, but we only were able to ice 1 fish off them. What was working well this day for us was a #3 Copper Swedish Pimple.

At around 11:30 other fisherman started comming out and the activity seemed to shut the fish off. We left the lake at 12:45 with 6 Coho’s and 3 Smelt. We tried to use teardrops to get some more Smelt, but the current was so strong we couldnt get them down with out using alot of weight. The current would carry them out of the cone of my LX-3.

This is the first time I have fished trout and salmon with my LX-3. It made fishing a blast. My dad has no electronics and didn’t really believe in them until today. I was able to see the Smelt on the bottom and see the schools of Cohos when they came by. I think by next winters ice he will be a Marcum owner.

This is my first IDA report, so I hope it all makes sense. I am looking forward to contributing when I can and learning alot from this site.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Welcome to IDA!!! An awesome report, keep it up

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Good job on your first report Now that you have the first one taken care of we’ll expect regular reports from you. Sounds like a great day Buddy.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Steve,
    nice first Report, Congratulations.
    am looking forward to more, and am hoping to hear some Bay reports during May and June…
    thanks,
    Jack..

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice job on your first report neutron bomb
    I’m sure them coho were yummy!!!!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

nuetron:

It is always a bummer when you try to target fish that you can’t get a bait to, but in my limited experience you want that current and that was probably one of the reasons that you did so well yesterday. I had friends that fished up there and I will try to edit that material into this thread later.

Mark

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

Congrats on the first excursion to the bay.. Caught this late, as now our ice is done for the year.. But what a fantastic year for ice fishing up here in my neck of the woods… From the bay itself and north into the islands… Terrific year for fish catching and ice conditions, even though we got a late start…

For those dropped fish, I would be willing to bet they were coho and even possibly smelt if you were using lake shiners.. Those lil buggers are ferocious… And so are the coho.. But they do tend to hit quickly and spit out anything that doesnt taste right even more quickly… Slammr type set-ups work a bit better in hook-ups for coho, but usually I will opt to run a bigger live bait on my tip-ups to eliminate this problem.. You can catch enough coho on a jigging stick then one would need most days.

Either way, good job… And until next ice season… Now its off to getting the boat ready for another open water season.. Smallies are right around the corner, but first its near shore trout and salmon…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.