Birthday help on Chequamegon Bay

• Eric Ahlstrom
    Grand Rapids, MN

I am looking at heading to Chequamegon Bay for some birthday smallmouth fishing this weekend. Any help would be great as I have never been there before in my life. Coming from Grand Rapids, MN and staying the weekend. Suggestions on boat landings, general patterns or even places to eat would be much appreciated.

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Talk to the folks at Anglers All in Ashland WI, they’ll be more then glad to answer any questions you may have on fishing the Chequamegon Bay area

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Had to answer this as it is my birthday weekend also!! The fish are starting to head more into the bay towards Ashland so I would suggest using the Kreher park landing in the middle of Ashland. There is a sign on US 2 that points you towards the landing. One block west of Dairy Queen. Live bait continues to outfish artificials. But, the shallow fish are hitting spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits. We also caught fish this weekend on Roller jigs with craws. Shallow weedbeds which run in 8 to 10 ft of water have had a lot of fish in them. You will also see the two community spots…end of breakwall and the rockpile out in the middle of the bay both have biting fish on them. I like the Breakwater cafe for mom and pop type cooking…they are on the east side of Ashland. Most of my clients eat suppers at the Deepwater grill on second street…block up from Arby’s. A bit more spendy though and they have their own brewery. Pm or call me if you like if you need some more info.

Chris Beeksma

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I second the Breakwater Cafe on the east side and also check out the Pizza Pub.

Mark

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

If Chris gives advice…take it! There is no better Guide on Cheq bay IMHO!
    You may want to have a few 3/4oz white spinnerbaits and keep em down near the bottom…

Eric Ahlstrom
    Grand Rapids, MN

Thanks for the help. Been wanting to head over there for a bunch of years now and am really excited to finally be doing it.

Eric Ahlstrom
    Grand Rapids, MN

I am assuming Chequamegon bay can get rolling and that it won’t take too much wind. So how much wind would you say is too much to fish out there? Is it going to be nasty with a 15 mph wind?

brianjkuphal

i too have fished the bay and surrounding waters,south winds are very fishable up to 20 mph,but watch out when the wind shifts doesnt take long to get blolwn off.goog luck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.