998c SI transducer mounting tabs breaking

• Paperlips21
    Glencoe, MN

Has anyone else had issues with the mounting tabs (ears) of the transducer cracking. I’ve double-checked the installation instructions and the installation was correct. I like the Humminbird but this is the 2nd ‘ducer with which I’ve had issues – the first had a faulty thermocouple and would not read temperature but when I sent it in, they told me it was fine. Yeah, fine if you don’t want the water temp. The mounting design is weak, in my opinion, and compared to other transducers I’ve had. Any experience with reinforcing? It’s an expensive replacement. Thanks!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Interesting.

Care to post a picture of your installation?

I’ve had no problems with the HDSI duecers thus far. I’ve had it on and off the boat probably over 20 times over several years and even used it ice fishing one winter. Have even used two different mounts at one time. Of course i’m only 1 user.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Only thing besides a bad molding job or incorrect installation that would cause it to possibly fatigue and break would be extreme force on the duecer.

Are you perhaps running a 50mph boat and have it mounted so low that it’s creating a super rooster and dragging in the water?
    Have you ever hit it on the bottom?
    Beached the boat and allowed the duecer to pound against the bottom?
    Is your duecer all scratched up (Indication that you’ve had it on the bottom)

Used in the wrong way i could see it easily breaking.
    I’m fairly surprised that mine is still intact considering the amount of things my old boat ran over on the MN River – But so far nothing has smoked the duecer and i have always mounted them flush to the bottom or slightly below.

Again, pics tell 1,000 words.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Yup have had mine hooked up for only 3 months and after a trip out on the river hitting some tiny sticks here and there and the ducer getting kicked up a couple times the flaps are now worn and the divers kinda floppy in there. Put the screw in the middle now so it doesn’t flip up so it will probably break the ducer next time I hit a twig at 30mph….

dbright
    Cambridge

I have punished my si transducer more then most and it is still working. Jet boats will test a transducers strength.

Paperlips21
    Glencoe, MN

No good installation pics as the tabs broke when I was out over the weekend. When originally mounting the ears to the pivot piece, both ears cracked so I hit them with some Gorilla glue and coated with high-strength epoxy. That obviously worked for about a year. The original ‘ducer with the temp. sensor issue was installed the same way for 2 years with no issues.

Not a high-speed boat – Lund Fisherman with 115 Johnson, so topping out at about 35 mph.

Attachments:
    1. 6-4-2015-10-35-19-AM.jpg

2. Cell-Pics-002.jpg

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Ok yeah mines not that bad😱

tbruno

It may be to late to be able to repair your current transducer. If you have to purchase a new one you may want to consider a transducer shield and spring back bracket combination from Transducer Shield & Saver Company to prevent the problem from occurring again. I believe it would be the (SBB-HDSI COMBO). May be worth the cost as SI transducers are expensive to replace.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.