88 Polaris Indy 400 Bogging Down

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Hey guys, I’ve been using this old girl for the last couple seasons for ice fishing and last year it started bogging down on me. I seems to work work fine on the initial run out a spot but then after sitting it starts but bogs down when getting on the throttle. Sometimes it bogs when I’m in the middle of a run when I’m going 20 or so hauling my shack to the point where it won’t turn the track. When that happens it won’t start for a good amount of time. Thought I had it solved when I realized the boots were barely holding on to the plugs. Replaced them, ran around the neighborhood for a good ten minutes. Then the next time I took it on the ice it got me to my spot and then bogged down to the point I couldn’t start it again after taking it out for a spin maybe an hour later.

-I only run non oxy gas.
    -New plugs and boots
    -Have carb kits (That’s my next thought)
    -Fuel lines replaced in 2018

Any other thoughts or ideas? Have researched a bit and thought possible bad coil?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

How is your fuel pick up line inside your tank?

Overheating?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

How is your fuel pick up line inside your tank?

Overheating?

I don’t believe it’s overheating but I guess it’s possible? I’m not a gear head and this is the first snowmobile I’ve owned. It takes coolant and I topped that off last season as well. I will check the pick up line. Should I look for anything in particular with it or just if it’s in far enough to get the gas out of the tank?

Coletrain27

usually the fuel line in the tank has a chain and weight on the end of it holding it on the bottom of the tank. sometimes on older sleds the fuel line will dry out and break off.

take the carbs off and take the jets out and run something through them to clean them and make sure there not restricted. (i like using a torch tip cleaner or some copper stranded wire for this)

i have seen cdi boxes go bad also which may be your problem like you mentioned

you can also check compression which is easy to do with a compression tester but it doesnt sound like that is the issue really to me

Musky Ed

My guess would be the carbs, and or fuel pick up also. Sounds as though it is running lean. Engine will overheat from a lean condition also, especially the pistons. Bogging down is a classic sign of a lean condition, and or weak spark. I would suspect a lean condition first. May be as simple as a little piece of crud in a jet that can be cleaned out, but as long as you have the kits, might as well rebuild them, Also as suggested, fuel pickup hose could be broke off, and or plugged up.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I will check the pick up line tonight and will work on those carbs as well. Thank you guys for the suggestions.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

how about something other than carb to check.
    how is your belt or is your clutch wearing out?
    are the sheaves clean with no rubber build up
    weak clutch springs
    if your clutches are not working properly your engine
    will load-up and act like is’t flooded

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

how many miles?
    have you done a compression test?

mojogunter

I would second a compression check with a motor that old. It could be worn out.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The belt is new as of last season and it only made two trips on the ice last season. Teeth are still looking new. Not sure about the clutch.

I think I will check the compression first to see if it’s worth spending more money on parts. I’ll update once I’ve done that. Thanks for the advice.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

If the compression checks out, it could be the boots on the carb or crankshaft seals. I bought a non running 97 AC Panther and the first thing I did was replace the crankshaft seals. Then I found the left cylinder was low compression, new cylinder and piston cost me $200 on ebay when some wanted $400 for a reconditioned cylinder

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The belt is new as of last season and it only made two trips on the ice last season. Teeth are still looking new. Not sure about the clutch.

I think I will check the compression first to see if it’s worth spending more money on parts. I’ll update once I’ve done that. Thanks for the advice.

Did this start after placing the new belt? You might have to adjust the belt deflection.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Good tips guys. I will check on that as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.