4WD HI vs Auto vs …?

• Gitchi Gummi

I’m curious when/how often you all put your vehicle in 4WD? Do you wait until roads get a little more accumulation or put it in 4WD as soon as there is any snow on the ground?

When you do use it, do you put it in 4WD HI? auto? Do you mostly drive around in 2WD and flip it into 4WD on demand/as needed? Or do you just drive around in auto all the time?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I use Auto when the roads are partially covered or after I feel it slip, when the roads are bad I use 4wd hi and well low is for oh s#it moments or steep down or upgrades like High Banks or The Pines on Winnie.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I use 4 auto as soon as there’s a possibility of slick roads. It doesn’t affect gas mileage one bit and there’s no downside to doing so.

On out way to LOTW on Monday, I was side by side with another F150 taking off from a stoplight when the temp was -10. I could see that the lane the other truck was in had tire tracks that looked almost wet and I assumed it was glare ice. So I let him pull ahead of me by a 1/2 car length just in case and sure enough as soon as he started accelerating a little harder he spun in my direction and across my lane into oncoming traffic. Luckily he didn’t hit anything. 4A in that instance would’ve completely avoided the situation altogether.

I only use 4H now when I’m in deep snow or mud.

Reef W

Mine doesn’t have auto but I use 4H whenever it might be slippery.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use Auto when the roads are partially covered or after I feel it slip, when the roads are bad I use 4wd hi and well low is for oh s#it moments or steep down or upgrades like High Banks or The Pines on Winnie.

Pretty much this. I love the 4wd system on GM trucks.

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

I only use 4×4 after I’m stuck in 2x. I’ve never used auto.

Ripjiggen

I use auto whenever there is snow on the road. Unless I want to whip some sh…..

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I use 4 auto as soon as there’s a possibility of slick roads. It doesn’t affect gas mileage one bit and there’s no downside to doing so.

x2, I’m in 4 auto most of the winter. Lock in 4H when there’s significant accumulation just to make sure it stays in 4wd.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

My truck doesn’t have auto and I only use H if it’s really bad and I’m slipping. I feel like my 06 (and previous vehicles) wasn’t made to drive all the time in 4wd because of how the differential seems clunky on tight turns. I drove the in-laws new rental 4runner over xmas and they had it in H and it felt the same way turning around in parking lots.

I am interested in learning if using 4wd alot is bad (vs AWD) as we are approaching the need for new cars.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If I recall, most owners manuals say to not exceed 55mph in 4H. I know my last truck said this not sure on my current one.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My truck doesn’t have auto either. It’s 2wd (rear), 4h, or 4l.

My wife’s SUV has auto/intelligent 4wd. When that is not engaged it is FWD like a car.

I have noticed it’s difficult to make sharp turns too when engaged in 4wd whether that be 4h or 4l.

Brad Dimond

My truck doesn’t have auto either. It’s 2nd (rear), 4h, or 4l.

My wife’s SUV has auto/intelligent 4wd. When that is not engaged it is FWD like a car.

I have noticed it’s difficult to make sharp turns too when engaged in 4wd whether that me 4h or 4l.

Similar experience. I only use 4L for pulling other vehicles from the ditch, when boat ramps are really slick and driving far back on logging roads.

Reef W

I feel like my 06 (and previous vehicles) wasn’t made to drive all the time in 4wd because of how the differential seems clunky on tight turns. I drove the in-laws new rental 4runner over xmas and they had it in H and it felt the same way turning around in parking lots.

All 4wd is like that because it’s trying to make all your tires turn at the same speed but outside tires need to go faster than inside when turning.

Auto modes only engage front wheels when it detects slipping. If you don’t have auto/AWD then you should turn it off for low speed maneuvering. I don’t have it either so if I use 4wd I turn it off before parking or going through lots.

MX1825

I never use 4H if roads are just wet. Sharp turns are hard on differential and cv/u-joints when pavement is not snow or ice covered.

isu22andy

Isn’t the difference between 4H and 4L just gearing ? Hardly ever use 4L unless pulling something way too heavy .

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Biggill wrote:</div>

x2, I’m in 4 auto most of the winter. Lock in 4H when there’s significant accumulation just to make sure it stays in 4wd.

Same. Today I just switched it back to 2wd. Been in auto for a couple weeks. I don’t drive my truck much. A few miles to the lake or 5 or 10 miles to hunting land. 4auto is awesome in my ram

isu22andy

Also the 4wd on the floor is far superior to the push button knob twisty electronic BS in the new trucks . Something about being in an Ohhh Sh.. situation and grabbing for that floor 4WD lever makes it better

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Wife had a vehicle with on demand 4×4. It was the worst thing I’ve ever driven. The rear would slide out on you and then you naturally counter steer then then front would kick in and because you were already counter steering it would throw you in a side spin the opposite direction.
    I personally despise auto 4×4. Give me 2x or 4x and dont try to rely on wheel sensors to drive for you.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Remember having to use lockouts??

Michael Best

As others have posted. If the roads are snow packed or ice I will put it in 4 Hi. Otherwise it’s 2 WD for me.

I am sure there are other times but the only time I can think of using 4 Low was on an elk hunt by Gunnison Co. FSR 721 has a hill they call jeep hill. I couldn’t get up it in 4 Hi. Just too steep and not enough horse power for the hi gears.
    That road is nasty if they get a rain. We had to buy chains one year in town to be able to get back into the trail head after an all day rain.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Rarely need to be in 4hi unless i’m in some thick stuff or muddy area. Auto at times but 2wd works most the time . I do use auto at times on some slick days. I just try not to rely on this but sure nice to have that 4hi when I need to get out of some farm fields )

slough

My F150 ecoboost seems pretty squirrelly with any amount of snow/ice, so I’m almost always in 4H (don’t have auto) in the winter. I should probably put some sandbags in the box…

mnfisherman18

I would leave my F150 on 4A all winter if I had it, but I didnt splurge for the Lariat and they don’t offer it on the XLT trim. I shift into 4H if its snowy or slippery, but try to avoid the binding that happens when you turn on dry pavement. I dont mind shifting back and forth, but wish I had 4A for when my wife drives.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

’97 silverado, ’04 tahoe, ’02 ford F250, ’12 ford F150, ’19 traverse……… Always in 4 HI whenever slighty questionable winter weather…. Never 1 issue…… You just don’t win any points for how long you stay in 2 WD.

buschman
    Pool 2

Remember having to use lockouts??

I had an old Toyota manual transmission with the lockouts. That was by far the best truck I have ever had on the ice. Loved it. I never once got stuck with that truck. Wish I never sold it!

big_g
    Isle, MN

4 auto if you can. 4 hi on the lake or lake like roads if that makes sense.

CaptainMusky

This is exactly how I do it too.

hillhiker
    SE MN

I never knew this wasn’t the norm. I have always driven in 2x unless already stuck, driving off road in mud or deep snow, or if the roads are extremely sketchy. I often times think 4x on the road, and all wheel drive makes people too confident.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Driving behind people like this when the roads are slippery is one of the most frustrating things. I don’t understand why people choose to spin and skip like crazy trying to get through intersections.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jake Thelen wrote:</div>

Driving behind people like this when the roads are slippery is one of the most frustrating things. I don’t understand why people choose to spin and skip like crazy trying to get through intersections.

Because being locked in to 4×4 all day if you don’t have auto in unnecessary as well. Until I had auto I never used 4×4 unless going off road or stuck.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.