New 350hp Yamaha!!

• Greg L

This looks like a great motor, are these available yet?

V8-5_3L

I feel like this size motor is way out of my league… as the largest I’ve own is a 75 tiller HAHA!

But were looking at 20′ or 21′ walleye boat ..soooo.. Might as well go all the way )

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Yes they are available. They are however primarily intended for off shore applications and also a V8 vs the V6 F300 off shore.

If you actually drive the 208 with the 300 I highly doubt you will own anything else.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I wonder when a Yamaha 500hp V8 outboard motor with a 28 foot fishing rig will be seen at the sport show? Maybe year 2025?

Everything is getting bigger, longer, wider, and more hp. It’s getting to the point now your average fishing rig won’t fit in a standard garage – let alone a rig to pull it shock

Greg L

OH! I didn’t even notice the 300 was a V6… Ya I’m more than sure I’d be satisfied with a 300hp )

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Showing my age here, but I can remember when a 50 HP tiller was crazy !!!!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I’m sure all the competitors are watching each other to one up them. They have some work ahead of them to keep up with the motor below.

Here’s a Yarcraft 219 with a 7marine 557HP motor on it. shock

Attachments:
    1. 7MARINE.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I wonder when a Yamaha 500hp V8 outboard motor with a 28 foot fishing rig will be seen at the sport show? Maybe year 2025?

This is probably directed at me. Yes, I’m testing a 28 footer this year from the same major maker that I had the 26 foot test boat from last year. You weekend/amateur guys will be able to buy the 26 footer in 2019 if the maker decides to go forward with production as scheduled.

On the 28 footer, it came maxed with twin 400 HP outboards. 400 HP is correct times 2. These are skunkworks outboards, again from a major maker that I can’t name. I think most serious guys will obviously want to max it. Small single outboards like 250s and 300s are pretty much on their way out.

Interestingly, the 28 footer also comes with a 3 KW generator for running the advanced electronics that us serious guys demand.

The 28 represents a significant upgrade from the smaller 26. There is just so much more space. The 26 footer was fine for 2 guys, but I can already see the 28 is really where it’s at for the serious angler.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a place for the small boats like the 20 and 22 footers for the casual weekend guys who just want to drown a worm and drink beer. But when it’s go time, those small little 150 to 300 HP rigs, well, let’s say there’s just no substitute for getting a pair.

Grouse

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Can you get the 7 marine with a big tiller handle? Might need some sort of hydraulic assist?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Can you get the 7 marine with a big tiller handle? Might need some sort of hydraulic assist?

No, a steady diet of Wheaties, Spam and Hamm’s will give you the strength to handle a tiller.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>kwp wrote:</div>

This is probably directed at me. Yes, I’m testing a 28 footer this year from the same major maker that I had the 26 foot test boat from last year. You weekend/amateur guys will be able to buy the 26 footer in 2019 if the maker decides to go forward with production as scheduled.

On the 28 footer, it came maxed with twin 400 HP outboards. 400 HP is correct times 2. These are skunkworks outboards, again from a major maker that I can’t name. I think most serious guys will obviously want to max it. Small single outboards like 250s and 300s are pretty much on their way out.

Interestingly, the 28 footer also comes with a 3 KW generator for running the advanced electronics that us serious guys demand.

The 28 represents a significant upgrade from the smaller 26. There is just so much more space. The 26 footer was fine for 2 guys, but I can already see the 28 is really where it’s at for the serious angler.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a place for the small boats like the 20 and 22 footers for the casual weekend guys who just want to drown a worm and drink beer. But when it’s go time, those small little 150 to 300 HP rigs, well, let’s say there’s just no substitute for getting a pair.

Grouse

Good point about if its go time then max her out. Size matters and go big or don’t go at all. The bigger the rig the better the fisherman??

When I checked out the 28 footer I initially though twin 350 hp would be adequate. However, the dealer said with “four guys and gear” I would only hit upper 60s mph which we thought was way, way underpowered. With twin 400’s I would hit over 75 mph which for serious anglers is about the minimum you need really.

The dealer and I both agreed what is really important now for the serious fisherman is the size of your rig and how fast it goes. How fast you get from point A to point B is way more important than what you do when you get to your fishing spot. The second most important thing is how cool your rigs looks.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

When I checked out the 28 footer I initially though twin 350 hp would be adequate. However, the dealer said with “four guys and gear” I would only hit upper 60s mph which we thought was way, way underpowered. With twin 400’s I would hit over 75 mph which for serious anglers is about the minimum you need really.

With both the 26 footer that will hit the dealers in the 2019 model year, and the 28 footer that I’m testing now, I can certainly say that it wouldn’t make sense NOT to max them out. The 26 footer takes twin 350s, I’m not allowed to comment on the specs for the new 28, but draw your own conclusions.

Obviously, you’d take a huge resale hit by not maxing the HP on these rigs. I mean who wants to plow along doing only the mid 60s? You might as well buy a dinky 20 footer with a 250 on the back.

I agree, 75 is really the new 60. When it comes to speed, I mean who really wants less?

Now some of you might rightly ask, where do I keep the 28 footer? Obviously, most of us are going to be upgrading to 40 foot deep garages. I mean come on. I’ve herd there are guys with only 20 foot deep garages, but who really does that? Time to upgrade.

Hey, if any of you guys have any experience networking 4 of the new mega screen Humminbirds together, get in touch. This is a little more complicated than I expected.

Grouse

kwp
    Eden Prairie

You forgot one thing Grouse…Along with the 40 foot deep garage we all have to upgrade to, you also need a minimum of a 1 ton diesel pick up truck with 25,000 lb. towing capacity.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.