308 Federal American Eagle Varmint & Predator Ammo

• Sammy Spears

I’ve had great success deer hunting with the 308 Win./150 grain Hornady Superformance ammo (3,000 fps), but it’s almost impossible to find!
    Just bought 80 rds of the 130 grain Federal A. E. Varmint hollow-point stuff. Deer in Arkansas seldom reach more than 180 lbs.
    What are your thoughts on this varmint round for deer?
    Im a hypersonic “lights-out” fan. I have a 7 mag, 300 mag, 260 and my ole favorite 270, but try and find any of those calibers in Hornady Superformance. (Prob. easier to find “crack”)!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My larue ar10 308 loves those 130’s.

Yote control.
    Haven’t gotten to test it on a yote yet, thermal is on my 556.

Like them enough I’ve researched their use on bigger game. The general answer is NO. It is an excellent frangible. So it won’t hold any mass. I picked up several empty copper “shells” in front of my 300yd target a few weeks ago from shooting through a plastic double wall box at 200. So it opens right up on minimal target.

All that said, I’ve thrown no less than 14 different boxes of ammo through my 308 in past few weeks, from 130 up to 180. Fleet farm. You should be able to find a deer round by your trip with some shopping.

I’ll be reloading my hog/deer rounds. Just seeing what bullets like to fly. Especially 308 there’s been a good variety at ff each time I walk through.

Ammo seek is a great website to find what you’re looking for.

Sammy Spears

Thank You, thank you for the info.! If I tried 14 different boxes of ammo, Id need to take out a 2nd mortgage! So glad I owned two 308s before this storm started! Have you tried the 150 grain Norma ammo? My bolt-gun groups the Normas pretty good out to 200 yards, but further out, its a “hail mary”! Again, thank you for your reply!

Alex Fox

Sammy I shoot the 308 Hornady SST as well, but shoot the 165 grain, and they aren’t available anywhere. I have 2 friends that shoot it as well. I was told by someone in the business that Hornady stopped making that round during the pandemic and is not sure when they will start again. I got 4 boxes of it when Gander was going out of business here, and I’m down to about 20 rounds myself. Hope they start making them again soon, or like you, have to sight the scope in to a different ammo. I think I tried 10 different ammo brands in my deer rifle, back when it was affordable, and the SST grouped better than all of them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.