300 savage ammo

• WishIwasWiser

Favorite uncle left me his deer rifle from yester-year. Got it all tip top and now can’t seem to find a source for ammo. Anyone have any thoughts?

haleysgold
    SE MN

I see it available on few sites.
    Ammoseek has some. Google it and you’ll see different places have it. Spendy though.
    Fleet Farm has it at times.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’ve seen .300 at almost all Fleet farms. I don’t own that caliber, but definitely see it alot.

David Blais

Also see this regularly at fleet farm. If you ever want to part with that rifle. Let me know!

WishIwasWiser

Was at fleet farm this morning, in the parking lot when I first posted. They checked the inventory system and no (zero) stores had 300 savage. But I’m sure it does indeed come and go. (Also overheard a conversation between a customer and two employees that frankly “brought me great pause”…topic was 9MM ammunition. I’ll leave it at that.)

I appreciate the offer DB, but this rifle is a family firearm. And I am honored to keep and use it until I can no longer. It’s an early model Remington 722 with some stories (and photos!) from/of my uncle.

Pailofperch

They checked the inventory system and no (zero) stores had 300 savage

Interesting! Everytime looking at ammo I would think, I should buy a 300 or 350, cause nearly every store had that for sure! Well, next time I find some I’ll try and give you a heads up. waytogo

WishIwasWiser

Id greatly appreciate it. Plenty of 300 blackout, and my goodness a full wall of 308. Had no idea that was so popular, but found it interesting.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Favorite uncle left me his deer rifle from yester-year. Got it all tip top and now can’t seem to find a source for ammo. Anyone have any thoughts?

Probably as good of an excuse as ever for getting into reloading. 300 Savage isn’t going to get any easier to find going forward.

At the very least save all your brass from everything you shoot.

deertracker

I’ve seen .300 at almost all Fleet farms. I don’t own that caliber, but definitely see it alot.

Tried to reply numerous times. flame Probably seeing .300 win.
    DT

grpubl7
    Central WI

Just looked on ammoseek and the 3 vendors varied between $3.75 and $6.50 PER ROUND.

That is beyond crazy.

Always look at each store you come to and keep an eye on ammoseek to see if these vendors get their heads out of the clouds.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Interesting! Everytime looking at ammo I would think, I should buy a 300 or 350, cause nearly every store had that for sure! Well, next time I find some I’ll try and give you a heads up.

I would agree with DT, I would have to think you’re seeing .300 Winchester Magnum and not .300 Savage.

.300 Savage is a totally different and much older cartridge that has essentially been obsolete for about 25 years now.

And before the legions of .300 Savage fans out there start protesting in front of my house, I will also say that it was and still is an effective whitetail cartridge. Unfortunately for the .300 Savage, this thing called the .308 Winchester was developed using the .300 Savage as a base and its popularity saw it quickly leave its poor 300 Savage cousin in the dust.

As I said, if ever there was a good justification for getting into reloading, a situation like this would be it. The 300 Savage is easy to reload because of the case size and the huge range of .308 bullet options out there. For an obsolete cartridge, cases are (relatively) easy to come by at most times outside of our seasonal gun panics.

Pailofperch

You guys are most likely correct. All I know for sure is my eye balls scanned over “.300” while checking ammo. I’ll actually pay attention now the next couple times.

WishIwasWiser

And thank you for the sage (Grouse, sorry) advice. I’ve many times thought about reloading brass and being able to shoot my Uncle’s rifle might indeed just be the launch pad. (I have named calluses on my fingers from reloading shotgun shells, or at least I did back in high school gun club!)

Another hobby! Awesome!

grpubl7
    Central WI

One place to keep an eye on is MidwayUSA. Pick your poison and have them notify you when it is in stock.

Regarding remanufacturing your own ammo. If you are shooting 100rds of centerfire ammo or less per year, you certainly won’t be saving any money going that route. You’d actually need to load a LOT more ammo for it to be beneficial due to the initial capital expenditure. You
    WOULD have the ability to load calibers that ammo factories have given low priority to however (like the 300 Savage).

The 300 Savage is still an excellent woods cartridge….maybe one of the best. You can deliver gobs of energy at any distance you are likely to shoot from a hillside in a mature hardwoods. Why I never bought one is beyond me. Plenty flat-shooting enough to hold dead center on a 10×14″ deer kill zone and expect to hit it within inches, anywhere in that woods.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Let me try this again.
    I have seen .300 Savage ammo at FF and Scheels recently.
    I also found it on numerous web sites. And yes? It was .300 Savage.

Is it expensive? Yes.
    The .300 Savage is not a plinking gun so whats it matter. You’ll shoot what 20 rounds a year? Or 40 or 60?

That type of shooting does not justify reloading.
    You don’t just sit down and start reloading. Not if you want accurate results. It’s time consuming and unless you’re going to do a LOT of it, buy it retail.

3Rivers

I have a sweet old model 99 that has shot many deer. Yes FF usually has a few boxes in stock and yes they are $$$$.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Regarding remanufacturing your own ammo. If you are shooting 100rds of centerfire ammo or less per year, you certainly won’t be saving any money going that route. You’d actually need to load a LOT more ammo for it to be beneficial due to the initial capital expenditure.

The main benefit to me for metallic cartridge reloading is that I am creating something that I cannot buy at any price–ammo that is specifically customized to an exact rifle and at an exact performance specification. I control all aspects from the components used to the dimensions of the ammo.

There is also the benefit so long as you have components of being able to load any ammo you want at any time. Again it depends on how serious you want to get about this, but once you have a component stock, you can survive a lot of gun panics without effect. Just reload and keep on going.

It can’t be justified base on cost alone and probably never could be even though I got into it many years ago and have acquired equipment at used prices and even been given some equipment free. But when you add the benefit of being able to build what you can’t buy….

WishIwasWiser

Let me try this again.
    I have seen .300 Savage ammo at FF and Scheels recently.
    I also found it on numerous web sites. And yes? It was .300 Savage.

Is it expensive? Yes.
    The .300 Savage is not a plinking gun so whats it matter. You’ll shoot what 20 rounds a year? Or 40 or 60?

That type of shooting does not justify reloading.
    You don’t just sit down and start reloading. Not if you want accurate results. It’s time consuming and unless you’re going to do a LOT of it, buy it retail.

I appreciate that insight! Thank you.

grpubl7
    Central WI

Yeah, began pulling my own handle in ’71. My bag was extreme accuracy, at any cost, that most folks will never need nor be able to utilize in the field.

The average hunters that come through the sight-in clinics shoot less than 20rds per year. They verify their zero with 1-5 shots and fire 0-5 rds throughout hunting season. The minimal benefit that these types will ever see using remanufactured ammo specific to their rifle, versus factory ammo, will never be realized.

The rifles chambered in 300 Savage (Model 99) 100 years ago when it was introduced will give “useable accuracy” with factory ammo for whitetails to 250yds. A person just needs to find the flavor of ammo that the rifle likes. Anything that shoots inside 2-1/2MOA is useable accuracy. Most people that don’t understand “position shooting” won’t be able to shoot that well from field positions anyway and should restrict their shots well inside 250yds.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Fleet Farm down here had 7 boxes of 300 savage Federal ammo. Not the cheapest ammo though, was $50/box.

mike Reilly

I have 4 boxs for sale
    612 968 2592
    mike

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

The easiest way to get 300 savage rounds is to buy 308 win brass and reform it to 300 savage. once reformed you will need to trim it to proper length but that is not hard to do. with the modern-day bullets and powders, you can get really good results with accuracy from the older rifles. A friend of mine bought a savage 99 in 300 savage and this is what we did for his rifle. he let me shoot it and now I have been bitten and want to find a good savage 99 for myself in it. About a month ago my local fleet farm did have 5 boxes of 300 savage factory loads but they were $60 per box ($3.00 per round)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.