3/4 Ton Worth It?

• tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Need some of your experience and insight…my 2017 Ram 1500 is getting tired. 120K and the problems are starting to pile up. I do a fair amount of towing: 16′ enclosed trailer, 22′ pontoon boat, 17′ fishing boat. Two family cabins on my and the wife’s side in different ends of the state; plus all the ice and open water fishing trips in between. Current truck has got the job done for the past 7 years but I feel it struggles, especially lately. Transmission shifting is getting harder and the gas bill is outrageous. Any of you guys regret moving up to a 3/4 ton? How much worse is the gas when not towing, in your experience? Any other suggestions for a new truck that can handle the towing? Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My 3/4 ton diesel will get low to mid 20 mpg summer and upper teens in the winter. The DEF is a pain in the ass, diesel fuel prices are a scam but the thing will pull a house. It will turn 400,000 miles shortly and I fully expect another 100,000 miles out of it. It depends on how often you buy new and how many miles a year you put on to determine if a diesel would make sense for you.

CaptainMusky

For what you tow a 3/4 ton is overkill imo. It will tow better but with worse mileage. Get a gm half ton with the 6.2 or the baby Duramax and have smiles for days. The hemi is dead in dodge soon.

snelson223
    Austin MN

It doesn’t seem like you are pulling anything that a half ton couldn’t handle. A 3/4 gas truck towing you’ll be lucky to get 10mpgs towing and maybe 15mpgs top not towing.

robby
    Quad Cities

A couple years ago I had to borrow a truck from a buddy to tow my boat for a trip in MN on the Canadian border. My truck was on the fritz. My buddy loaned me a Dodge 1 ton diesel. He told me it got 14 mpg day in a day out when not towing farm equipment. Well towing my Skeeter fiberglass boat, probably 3500 lbs or so, this truck towed it effortlessly. And I got 14 mpg. This truck did not struggle in the least in the hills around St. Cloud. So I would think a 3/4 would be better than a 1/2 ton. This said, I have towed with a 1/2 ton for years and have not had any problems.

Coletrain27

is this truck something you daily drive every day? if so i would stay with a half ton for sure. with the power these half tons are putting out now they are more than capable of doing what you described plus the ride is alot nicer. my gas super duty gets 14 on the highway on a good day and 9-10 on the highway pulling.

i have a beater car i drive every day and the truck sits in the garage most the time but if i used my truck for a daily driver i would sell it in go back to a half ton just because of the more comfy ride and alot better mileage.

fixing and replacing parts/tires on a 3/4 or 1 ton are more expensive also

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

fixing and replacing parts/tires on a 3/4 or 1 ton are more expensive also

x2
    and if you move to a diesel even more $ and you only get about 30K +/- with the skins

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

I feel your pain… I’m on my 6th Dodge/Ram also a 2017. 174K on mine. I tow similar stuff to yours and mine is my daily driver. Previous posts are all valid. In 2006, I bought a Dodge 2500 with the 5.7. All I had was a slightly heavier duty chassis but a poor ride…everyday. In 2011 went back to a 1500 and again in 2017. There’s no way I’d get a 3/4 ton again as a daily driver…way too uncomfortable when not loaded down. The hemi is gone as stated before. They are already peddling the 24s out as the 25s are due anytime. The new standard engine is the inline 6 “Hurricane” turbo. Jeep GC and Cherokees have had them for a few years. Frankly, I’m doubtful I’ll buy a Ram again this summer since I’m uncomfortable being a first model “guinea pig”. Not a GM fan either which leaves Ford. Tundra is out as I cannot stand to look at them…just an ugly truck IMO. Not a clue what I’ll end up with but all the 1/2 tons are more than capable.

wkw

I’ve always has a GMC half ton with 6.2 gasser. I put on 55,000 miles per year.I pulled a 21′ fiberglass boat and didn’t know it was back there. 17-22 mpg day in day out. Rides like a Cadilac. Besides that. DIESEL STINKS ! A drop of that on your pant leg lasts all day.

toddrun

Today’s 1/2 ton trucks are so watered down, meant more for casual truck use and commuting. Look at 1/2 ton trucks pulling big ice castles or bigger boats down the road, most are sagging in the back from weak springs, more so on a particular brand but not going to get into that fight.

My opinion, if you are going to go 3/4 ton, may as well just buy a 1 ton and save on license costs in MN. Ride isn’t that much different.

Been hearing a lot of good things about the new Chevy EcoTech 6.2L V8 gas engine, have not had the luck to drive on yet. Gov’t has wrecked Diesel for the common man, way to expensive, to much environmental crap on them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I went 3/4 ton and my only regrets is not going 1 ton, and that’s just due to registration prices. Other wise my 22 gasser with the 6.4 gets 13mpg with a load or without a load. I then put a tuner on it and can push 15 both pulling a load and not. I have 0 regrets jumping up, but I don’t daily drive this thing either being I have a company truck. I’m much prefer having a bit bigger of a pulling rig rather then pushing a half ton. I needed the bigger truck either way, but I’d do the same thing again if I did it over. I’m jealous of the 130 tabs on the 1 tons though.

CBMN
    North Metro

If you’re daily driving I would go 1/2 ton without question. I have a Chevy 3500 gas truck as it sits in the garage all week and I have a commuter car. Costs more to have two cars but sure is nice being able to pack the truck during the week for a weekend trip and not having to worry about where I park at work. I get 14-18 empty on my 6.0 v8 and between 10-12 pulling. Cheap tabs on a 1 ton are sure nice also.

CaptainMusky

Today’s 1/2 ton trucks are so watered down, meant more for casual truck use and commuting. Look at 1/2 ton trucks pulling big ice castles or bigger boats down the road, most are sagging in the back from weak springs, more so on a particular brand but not going to get into that fight.

that’s because idiots get the short box

Nodakk

Half ton with 10 ply tires, trailer brakes, and air bags for towing will suit you just fine. The extras I mentioned seem like over the top to some but I can confirm from my own experience, they make a big difference.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Half ton with 10 ply tires, trailer brakes, and air bags for towing will suit you just fine. The extras I mentioned seem like over the top to some but I can confirm from my own experience, they make a big difference.

Yes t hey do and they are all pretty inexpensive

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

FYI –
    A lettered 3/4 is under 10 GVW and does not need to follow DOT rules but registration is quite a bit more than a 1 ton.

A lettered 1 ton is over 10K GVW and does. That’s why the registration is less.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you’re at 120k miles and it’s “tired” I’d be moving on from the Ram half tons. That’s just getting warmed up down here in bluff country where things are towed, driven across fields, up 4 wheeler rated logging roads, and everything in between.

Given the DEF crap, Diesel costs, and so on…

I’d look into an F150 Max Tow package with the 3.5L and 6.5’ box and some 10 ply tires and never look back

The gasser 3/4 and 1 tons at the yard are dogs when loaded with rock or a heavy load of treated lumber (GM and Ram). The Cummins and Stroker are a whole lot better but have a whole lot different price tag.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I’d look into an F150 Max Tow package with the 3.5L and 6.5’ box and some 10 ply tires and never look back

What ply tires do new F150’s normally come with?
    Are Air Bags needed or at least recommended if you are towing regularly?
    For towing and equipped with the above, is the FX4 preferred?

I have 75K on my 2015, F150 4X4, 3.5L, 5′ box.
    It is a little light for some of the things I tow.

Looking to upgrade 1 more time before I retire.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

My next truck will be this. I’ve debated going the HD route as well, but I just can’t justify it for what I tow. My last truck was a 2013 F150 eco with max tow and 3.73 gears and 6 1/2′ box. That thing towed great. Convinced myself on the current truck that I didn’t want the longer wheelbase and have regretted it ever since. With the longer wheelbase (crew cab and 6 1/2 box) and max tow, I don’t believe you need airbags unless you’re towing a travel trailer or a large wheelhouse.

tim hurley

Is 120k a lot of miles? Hope not.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Like others have said if it is your daily driver a 3/4 ton may get tiresome, however it would make you feel more confident towing what you own even though as it has been said a half ton is capable. When down the road I replace my truck I will consider a 3/4 for sure. I have kept a little shooter car for going to and from work and other things. The current car is aging and rust is becoming a factor so not sure what I will do when it’s time to retire it.

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>toddrun wrote:</div>

that’s because idiots get the short box

Long box 22 Chevy pulling a 18 foot aluminum boat , get people that flash their brights at me all the time with boat hooked up . Used to drive a brand new 3/4 ton every other year for work purposes 40k miles a year. Dont miss the ride, suckers ride rough .

Scenic

I had half tons for years and worked the snot out them pulling the boat in the hills up in Canada. They pulled it fine on the normal situations but any hills loaded with gear it worked hard. I was happy to get 10mpg.

Moved to a GMC 3/4 ton with Duramax and have zero regrets. Pulled the boat out to OH last spring and averaged 17. On the average in and out of town this winter I have averaged 15. Summer on the road not pulling I got 22. I’m happy with that.

CaptainMusky

Long box 22 Chevy pulling a 18 foot aluminum boat , get people that flash their brights at me all the time with boat hooked up . Used to drive a brand new 3/4 ton every other year for work purposes 40k miles a year. Dont miss the ride, suckers ride rough .

Too much tongue weight on your trailer then. The headlights are dang bright on these new trucks too. I get flashed all the time on low when I am not towing anything in my GMC. THey learn real damn quick when I hit my brights their mistake.

LabDaddy1

towing you’ll be lucky to get 10mpgs towing and maybe 15mpgs top not towing.

Read: Toyota 4Runner doah bawling

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Being that I daily drive my 1/2 ton this is the route I’m going. Only pull the camper a handful of times each year, and that is really the only thing I tow that could use a heavier rig.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

[Begin IDO AI script “Standard_shouldigetabiggertruck_3/4_ton”]

3/4 ton? Yeah, if you stick to towing stuff like canoes and just haul toilet paper home from Costco, that’ll be fine. We’re not judging, you suburban creampuff.

If you’re ready to IDO-up to a real truck, then most of us are going with 2-ton rigs with a bare minimum 10-liter diesel, but if you’re towing heavy stuff like 17-foot aluminum boats, better max it with the 13-liter+ diesel or you’ll never be able to tow at freeway speeds of 95+ MPH.

Plus, the resale value! For those miniature 3/4 tons it’s basically zero once you drive it off the lot because they are only good for suburban housewives to use as grocery getters.

[End IDO AI script “Standard_shouldigetabiggertruck_3/4_ton”]

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What ply tires do new F150’s normally come with?
    Are Air Bags needed or at least recommended if you are towing regularly?
    For towing and equipped with the above, is the FX4 preferred?

I have 75K on my 2015, F150 4X4, 3.5L, 5′ box.
    It is a little light for some of the things I tow.

Looking to upgrade 1 more time before I retire.

I wouldn’t worry about airbags with what the OP mentioned towing. 99% of tires that come off a dealer lot are junk in my experience. I’m thinking 4 or 6 ply?

The last truck I bought I negotiated in them throwing on and balancing the tires I brought in when I picked it up, and let them keep their “new tires” that they thought were something special worth noting as a perk of buying the truck.

Stanley

I have a 99 GMC 3/4 ton and a 16 F-150 with the 3.5 eco, max tow and 6 1/2 box. I tow a 17’ ice castle and 18’ aluminum boat. I know the GMC is old but it handles what I tow easily but getting up to hwy speed can take a bit. The ford tows much better except there is more felt trailer sway. I don’t have 10 ply tires on it but have upgraded the rear shocks to bilstein 5100’s and that made a big difference especially with the ice castle. If I had to choose between my 2 trucks I would take the F-150. For a daily driver/tow rig a 1/2 with a few upgrades will be fine for most people.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.