3/4 Ton Worth It?

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Tires that come on new vehicles are rated for the trucks capabilities as far as loads, towing and the best ride. If you have to add all kinds of airbags, stiffer tires or springs… to try to give the appearance of a more capable truck, get the 3/4 ton.

CaptainMusky

The quality of the tires from the factory leave a lot to be desired especially from what I see on Ram. Buddy’s new ram tires were completely wore out at 15k miles. Wearing on the outside in the front. I have 20k on mine and they look new yet.

Stanley

I just checked 3 different 1/2 ton trucks in the shop. 1 had p rated tires, 1 had LT and the other just had the size. These were the stickers on the door jambs not what the trucks tires were. P rated tires are not ideal for towing and I wouldn’t jump to a 3/4 ton when adding some E load range tires make a huge difference on 1/2 tons for most towing situations with in its rated capabilities.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have the factory Yokohama’s on my Ram and I am at 30K and they look new also. Sounds like your buddy has an alignment issue.

CaptainMusky

I have the factory Yokohama’s on my Ram and I am at 30K and they look new also. Sounds like your buddy has an alignment issue.

that’s what I thought too but he has Goodyear’s and they are low profile tires since they’re 22s. But that is still ridiculous

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I agree. Wearing on the outside points to an alignment issue.

keith christianson

I’ve owned a couple 3/4 ton duramax trucks, and in 1/2 toms I’ve had a Ram eco diesel, chevy 3.0 diesel, chevy 6.2 and several ford 3.5 ecoboosts.

Any of those power plants will pull what you have. Any 1/2 ton these day will squat pulling your enclosed trailer for sure. The 3/4 or 1 tons will pull and handle anything you have. I think you need to decide how often you pull the heavier loads. If most the time your pulling the 17ft boat go 1/2ton.
    For pulling heres how I would rate them.
    1. Any 3/4 ton diesel
    2. chevy 3.0 diesel
    3. tie between chevy 6.2 and ford 3.5
    4. Ram

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Excellent advice. Thanks. Yes, it’s my daily driver. The tires I have on now could be an issue, as well. They’re cheap Goodyear’s. I was hoping that it still had plenty of life left, even at 120k. I knew that the 3/4 tons were a rougher ride but glad to hear your experiences. Think I’ll stick with a 1/2 but look elsewhere outside the Stellantis brand.

CaptainMusky

Not all 3/4 ride rough. Drive a GM 3/4 ton they are very comfy comparatively to the rest. Especially if you get the higher trim levels like a High Country or Denali.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Think I’ll stick with a 1/2 but look elsewhere outside the Stellantis brand.

They all have there ups and downs. All you guys loving your GM’s let me know how you feel when the trans craps the bed. I could go on for hours about all brands. The one exception is for the most part the Tundra, yes the new body style and turbo engine are not to my liking. My current truck is a 19 RAM should be similar to yours. Put air bags in the rear coil springs, not that expensive and upgrade your tires to LT, at least a C load range D is even better. E of course is good too but hurts the ride even more. The Hemi builds plenty of power and torque to do the job. Mine has the 8 speed which I’m still getting used to but it helps at highway speeds towing to keep the rpms down.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Not all 3/4 ride rough. Drive a GM 3/4 ton they are very comfy comparatively to the rest. Especially if you get the higher trim levels like a High Country or Denali.

Get a quote on what those magna ride shocks and struts cost to factor in. jester

CaptainMusky

Get a quote on what those magna ride shocks and struts cost to factor in.

Not cheap I am sure, but there is a reason they ride nice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My ram rides great. After I did the full billstein lift and swap. Stock it only rode good when I had a pallet ulof block in back

MX1825

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

I agree. Wearing on the outside points to an alignment issue.

A lack of consistent tire rotations will cause outside tire wear even if the alignment is ok. JMO

MX1825

Higher load range tires (with stiffer sidewalls) on a half ton helps towing. It makes the rear of the tow vehicle more stable. Any P rated tire has soft sidewalls to give the vehicle the best ride. JMO

JEREMY
    BP

How many rotates you need in 15k miles

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

How many rotates you need in 15k miles

I’ll take 1 Alex. Unless your like me and do it every oil change at 5k

big_g
    Isle, MN

should have been 1 at 7500 at the least

Nodakk

Seems like the unpopular opinion here but I’ve own both the eco boost and the 5.7 hemi. The Ram was 10x better at towing my wheelhouse than the ford. It even handled an 18’ equipment trailer with a 35hp tractor with attachments just fine

queenswake
    NULL

As others have said, if it’s your daily driver, you want a half ton. More comfortable, less noise, better ride. Your better half is more apt to want to ride in it with you.

I would only get it the bigger truck if I was pulling a big camper or other enclosed trailer all over the place.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I am going to be in the market for a new truck in the next year and have been window shopping online to prepare myself for the cost..

I currently have a 2014 F150 crew cab with the 3.5 eco and 6.5ft box. I will not go to a smaller cab or box. I am finding it is harder and harder to find a 1/2 ton crew cab with a 6.5ft box. Seems like 1 out of 10 (or maybe even 15) crew cab trucks I see have the 6.5ft box, and when I do find them more than half of those are the higher trim models that cost an arm and a leg.

It really has me considering a 3/4 ton gas truck as I can find those for the same or less than many of the 1/2 tons that meet what I want

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

my 3/4 rides like a 71 buick electra 225 waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As others have said, if it’s your daily driver, you want a half ton. More comfortable, less noise, better ride. Your better half is more apt to want to ride in it with you.

I would only get it the bigger truck if I was pulling a big camper or other enclosed trailer all over the place.

Less noise ? My truck makes 0 noise, is very comfortable rides like a caddy and the lady and kids prefer a big truck for saftey. I’d rather have a slightly bigger then needed truck over a over worked half ton. I loved my half ton ram but she was worked way to hard.

CaptainMusky

HD trucks are not really any bigger than todays half tons. THe only difference is you cannot get the tinker toy box that many of the half tons have, but I have a 6.5 foot box. They do however sit up higher for sure.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

HD trucks are not really any bigger than todays half tons. THe only difference is you cannot get the tinker toy box that many of the half tons have, but I have a 6.5 foot box. They do however sit up higher for sure.

Suspension, tow packages, and gearing basically. Then bigger oil and tranny coolers

CaptainMusky

Yeah, they are meant for more work than a half ton is and they are more capable to do it. Having said that most half tons today are rated to tow what a HD truck was only a few years ago. A properly equipped GM with the baby duramax can tow 13000 pounds. That is pretty damn impressive.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah, they are meant for more work than a half ton is and they are more capable to do it. Having said that most half tons today are rated to tow what a HD truck was only a few years ago. A properly equipped GM with the baby duramax can tow 13000 pounds. That is pretty damn impressive.

I don’t believe that at all. You ever towed 13k. My everyday catapillar genset trailer is 12.500, and that thing is rough with a 1 ton. Yeah the half ton probably can pull it, but that’ll be about it. The tow ratings these days are wildly misleading.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

I don’t believe that at all. You ever towed 13k. My everyday catapillar genset trailer is 12.500, and that thing is rough with a 1 ton. Yeah the half ton probably can pull it, but that’ll be about it.

X2 –
    If you are renting let’s say a skiddy and trailer, some companies won’t let you off the lot with a 1/2 ton.

Michael Best

My 2017 Tundra has 135,000 miles on it. I put a set of breaks on at 125,000 miles. I plan on driving it at least another 150,000 miles. Other than that for maintenance I have had zero repairs.
    I can’t say that about the 3 brands I have drove.
    With the 5.7 V8 I get 16 to 17 on a good day and 10 to 12 towing. Only problem is Toyota went to a twin turbo V6 and you can’t get the V8 anymore.
    As for 10 ply tires (load range E). I have been running them for the past 15 years and towing was never the reason for doing so. 10 ply tires handle rocks better than 6 ply tires.
    It sucks sitting in the middle of no where Arizona on a 2 week hunt with 2 flat tires because of rock punctures.

With all that said I would look into the Toyota tundra with the twin turbo V6. Not sure if the new tundras have coil springs or leafs in the back. My last 2 Ram trucks had coils my tundra has leafs.

CaptainMusky

I don’t believe that at all. You ever towed 13k. My everyday catapillar genset trailer is 12.500, and that thing is rough with a 1 ton. Yeah the half ton probably can pull it, but that’ll be about it. The tow ratings these days are wildly misleading.

Well its true. I have never towed that kind of weight and I certainly wouldnt do it with my truck even if it was rated for it, but that is what its rated for with Max Tow pkg and that duramax engine. Heck wasnt it grouse that was towing a skid steer with his Acadia or whatever? LOL

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.