2nd shot

Gimruis, thanks for the reply. The issue is that they do not know how long immunity will last with the vaccine either. At this point we have more data on natural immunity than the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Pfizer is showing 91% efficacy 6 months post vax, which is as good or better than “natural” immunity.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The issue is that they do not know how long immunity will last with the vaccine either.

You’re right. All the vaccine manufacturers are conducting ongoing clinical trials to determine this. Its likely we’ll need booster shots.

Pfizer and Moderna are already working on a booster that targets the primary mutations we know about. That’s the nice part about mRNA technology. We can engineer it to be effective against a new variant.

Honestly I think that this virus will be a slow burn with waves of outbreak for a long time. We still don’t know fully how it originated either because China hasn’t been transparent about what’s going on there.

buschman
    Pool 2

Pfizer is showing 91% efficacy 6 months post vax, which is as good or better than “natural” immunity.

This is incorrect. Natural immunity has show to last over 6-8 month with reinfection being very rare. You have better odds of getting covid after the vaccine than reinfection. Natural immunity is just as good or better than anything the vaccine has shown us.

I am just expressing common sense here. If you had Covid… Why is the CDC recommending to go and get the vaccine right away?? This is a valid concern to my wife and I. Her employer, MDH and CDC all say she should have been vaccinated 10 days after she tested positive and was already recovered from the virus. This is a very serious concern to the credibility of these outlets telling us what to do.

I could understand this if they said she should be vaccinated 3-6 months after infection. That would make some sense but they wanted her to go get a shot right away when she already has built antibodies to the virus.

Hmmm… Apologies if this is a duplicate post.
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2032195

Although correlates of protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection in humans are not yet established, these results show that despite a slight expected decline in titers of binding and neutralizing antibodies, mRNA-1273 has the potential to provide durable humoral immunity. Natural infection produces variable antibody longevity and may induce robust memory B-cell responses despite low plasma neutralizing activity.

In plane English, those with the Moderna vaccine had more antibodies than those with infection. If you have a study showing otherwise, I’d love to read it.

Immunity from an infection is not going to be the same case to case – too many variables. How much viral load was there, how long was the exposure, what was the variant, etc. 100 people will produce different levels of immune response. The vaccine is a much more controlled environment, it removes a gigantic variable (and the only one that can be controlled, as the human body cannot).

I will say, you should ask your doctor though. And if you haven’t, I’d question why you think that a fishing forum would be a better resource than someone who knows your health history and went to medical school to be a general practitioner or internist.

OG Net_Man

I think that this vaccine process was designed to eliminate some of us males. The time needed to be spent to obtain a appointment for a vaccine shot in Minnesota is much greater than the average male is willing to spend trying.

Good thing that I have a good immune system. Until the vaccine becomes easier to obtain I will put forth this effort in other activities.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

To buschman I can see the logic in your argument. My question would be how many people out there assume they already had covid and didn’t and are using that as a reason not to get vaccinated? I can tell you that I have quite a few friends who have said “I already had all the symptoms. No I never got tested but I’m sure I had it therefore I’m not getting vaccinated.”

Additionally how many false positives have we had? I don’t know the number but it seemed like a lot there for a while.

Conclusion is it would seem to be the case that determining with absolute certainty that you have had covid is difficult at best and even the most certain cases are called into question sometimes.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I might wait for a full authorization from the FDA to get the vaccine, I bet the EUA gives the manufacturers extensive liability protection and the vaccine might not do me any good. I have never suffered from influenza or have had headaches or fever for a very long time.

As far as I know, the vaccine doesn’t prevent infection or transmission of the virus so mutations are likely to still happen, it just prevents the virus from causing the disease much like other vaccines. The vaccine manufacturers wouldn’t have reliable data if none of the test subjects tested positive for the virus.

Mask effectiveness is based on the virus being an aerosol and the mask being sealed against the face which most are not. I do think a lot of questions about the effectiveness of the vaccine should be answered in the next month

Fish To Escape

I might wait for a full authorization from the FDA to get the vaccine, I bet the EUA gives the manufacturers extensive liability protection and the vaccine might not do me any good. I have never suffered from influenza or have had headaches or fever for a very long time.

As far as I know, the vaccine doesn’t prevent infection or transmission of the virus so mutations are likely to still happen, it just prevents the virus from causing the disease much like other vaccines. The vaccine manufacturers wouldn’t have reliable data if none of the test subjects tested positive for the virus.

Mask effectiveness is based on the virus being an aerosol and the mask being sealed against the face which most are not. I do think a lot of questions about the effectiveness of the vaccine should be answered in the next month

It is true that they don’t get data on transmission from the trials, those are for safety and efficacy. The transmission data is done retrospectively and is coming in now. Currently there are 5 published studies on the mRNA vaccines re: transmission and they reduce transmission by 70-90%

barc
    SE MN

Second dose of Pfizer today. No ill-effects from round 1 – could feel the injection site if I rubbed it with my hand. So far so good today.
    It seems to me that the polls of who will and will not take the vaccine would model very close to the responses from the folks on this site after following such responses for many years -)
    Carry on boys…..

B-man

Second dose of Pfizer today. No ill-effects from round 1 – could feel the injection site if I rubbed it with my hand. So far so good today.
    It seems to me that the polls of who will and will not take the vaccine would model very close to the responses from the folks on this site after following such responses for many years -)
    Carry on boys…..

And somehow we’re still here after many years rotflol

The vulnerable population and others have survived, died, or been vaccinated (if they chose to do so anyway). That was their choice, I didn’t make them do it or encourage them to do it. I don’t frown upon the decision and would likely do the same if I needed it. I respect their/your decision.

However, I would hope that those same people would also respect my decision not to get the vaccine. I’m not a big fan of putting things into my body that I don’t need (excluding beer) toast

High blood pressure, smoking and cheeseburgers still kill more people than Covid (and I love cheeseburgers ) ) Most Covid fatalities had one or more contributing factors unrelated to the virus, such as heart disease caused by the above.

Anywho, good luck fishing to all this upcoming year. Looking forward to seeing people’s faces again in public.

Doug M
    SE SD

High blood pressure, smoking and cheeseburgers still kill more people than Covid. And I love cheeseburgers ;)

Uh oh. I don’t smoke but the other 2–guilty. How about if you put bacon on your cheeseburgers and wash them down with beer?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

God bless those getting a shot early. I will not be getting one anytime soon.

There is a serious division within my family, so I do not take the decision lightly.

I agree with the others….. make the decision for yourself and watch your own bobber

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>
    High blood pressure, smoking and cheeseburgers still kill more people than Covid. And I love cheeseburgers ;)

Uh oh. I don’t smoke but the other 2–guilty. How about if you put bacon on your cheeseburgers and wash them down with beer?

I’m in the same boat mrgreen

There’s no vaccine for living on the edge, but a guy has to enjoy living toast

MNdrifter

There is a serious division within my family, so I do not take the decision lightly.

Have the same situation. I just don’t get why people get so mad at the people who are deciding to wait on it. I’ve got family members almost offended by my decision to hold off. Ultimately I know we will be strong armed into it. You will need a vaccination passport to move about. And I’m sure some employers are going to try an make it a condition of employment. Etc.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Have the same situation. I just don’t get why people get so mad at the people who are deciding to wait on it. I’ve got family members almost offended by my decision to hold off. Ultimately I know we will be strong armed into it. You will need a vaccination passport to move about. And I’m sure some employers are going to try an make it a condition of employment. Etc.

I hear that. While I do not agree with refusing to take it, I would not be angry at someone like a family member for avoiding it at this time. I understand that there’s hesitation out there. But I would avoid socializing with them indoors, which is what I’ve done for quite a while now. Would you fault me for trying to stay safe?

I agree that at some point it’s going to be mandatory in some situations like specific lines of work or traveling. You can bet that Canada is going to require it if you want to go there. That is if they open their border anytime soon.

MNdrifter

ut I would avoid socializing with them indoors, which is what I’ve done for quite a while now. Would you fault me for trying to stay safe?

Not at all, you do you, I’ll do me, neither of us need to worry about the other. That’s how America should work. Everyone is too worried about what everyone else is doing.

bigpike

I had the crap. Was sick for 7 weeks along with my wife. I dont plan on getting the shot. I dont get the flu shot either. Does anyone know anyone that got the flu this year?
    My wife gets sick a few times a winter and since our covid experience last fall neither of us has had even a sniffle. Maybe I have a super immune system now! Lol. Good luck to all who get the shot.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Not at all, you do you, I’ll do me, neither of us need to worry about the other. That’s how America should work. Everyone is too worried about what everyone else is doing.

Perfect. Wouldn’t hurt to plaster this quote on the home page of this website too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Does anyone know anyone that got the flu this year?

Flu numbers this past “season” were the lowest we’ve seen in a long time because 1) our mitigation measures for COVID also help reduce flu, and 2) more people got a flu vaccine than normal.

Brad Dimond

bigpike wrote:
    I dont get the flu shot either. Does anyone know anyone that got the flu this year?

I didn’t get the flu shot early enough in 2017 to avoid catching influenza from my wife (a teacher). Got the Tamiflu shot within 24 hours, recovered quickly. Later in the year we noticed that my hearing on the left side had deteriorated substantially. ENT doc did some tests, no injury or benign tumor in the ear – the two most common causes of asymmetrical hearing loss. Third most common and very likely cause of my hearing loss is a viral infection, i.e., influenza. I lost 40% if the hearing in my left ear vs. 4% in my right ear. The 4% is normal for my age and disregard of hearing protection when shooting and working as a callow youth. I now wear a hearing aid in my left ear and surely wish I had gotten the flu shot in October 2017.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>
    Does anyone know anyone that got the flu this year?

Flu numbers this past “season” were the lowest we’ve seen in a long time because 1) our mitigation measures for COVID also help reduce flu, and 2) more people got a flu vaccine than normal.

Or 3) anyone susceptible to a viral infection got sars-cov2 first and the influenza virus never had a chance just like some new mutations become the dominant strain in an area

The flu season peaked at the end of January last year and was dropping steady by March when social distancing started and that was before any mask mandate was in effect

Attachments:
    1. FluView_StackedColumnChart_Image.png

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Keep getting those shots. Announced today that if we reach 70% by July 1 no more mask mandate. Volunteer vaccinations have slowed down so much they are resorting to extortion. Neat.

Justin riegel

Keep getting those shots. Announced today that if we reach 70% by July 1 no more mask mandate. Volunteer vaccinations have slowed down so much they are resorting to extortion. Neat.

I saw on the Tv last night they are offering gift cards to get the shots now.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I got my 2nd one about a week ago. I got mine for the sole reason that if they open the border to Canada at some point I’m sure proof of being Vaccinated will be a condition to be allowed entry into Canada. I know everyone thinks that there is almost 0 possibility that they open the border this year, but I’m still holding out hope it opens by fall. I didn’t want anything to hold me up if they open.

AnotherFisherman

I think that this vaccine process was designed to eliminate some of us males. The time needed to be spent to obtain a appointment for a vaccine shot in Minnesota is much greater than the average male is willing to spend trying.

Good thing that I have a good immune system. Until the vaccine becomes easier to obtain I will put forth this effort in other activities.

Not sure if you were aware, but most places are allowing walk-up vaccinations with no appointments necessary. Very very simple and not time consuming task to get the vaccine. I got my 1st shot this last sunday and was in and out in 20 minutes. (You have to wait 15 minutes to see if there is any allergic reaction).

CaptainMusky

Neither of these are accurate. If by mitigation measures you mean masks, there is more evidence that mask wearing has NO positive affect on controlling COVID. There is TONS and TONS of evidence showing this yet MSM and Fauci keep touting that masks work.
    Flu vaccines at BEST are 50% effective for the annual flu.
    The real reason there has been no seasonal flu is that COVID19 IS the flu for the past year plus. Viruses compete in nature just like anything else. The strong survive. The traditional flu has been suppressed because of COVID. Simple as that. COVID has been acting exactly like the flu when you look at monthly graphs of cases and compare to one another. They both follow seasonality. Its quite fascinating actually, but in reality it probably shouldnt be because they have been studying viruses like this for a long time and history keeps repeating itself.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Neither of these are accurate. If by mitigation measures you mean masks, there is more evidence that mask wearing has NO positive affect on controlling COVID.

How does influenza spread? Well, currently the CDC indicates that it spreads very similarly to covid. Mostly through airborne aerosols when people sneeze, cough, talk, or even breath in close proximity to someone else. Contaminated surface transmission is also present.

How does covid spread? The same. Perhaps to a lesser extent through surfaces.

So if we avoided large gatherings of people, avoided close proximity of other people you don’t live with, and washed our hands more, that would mitigate spread of covid while also mitigating spread of influenza, right?

While I do agree that flu vaccine is only 50% effective at best, its still better than 0%. There was a push to get more people vaccinated from flu last fall because the less people who are sick or hospitalized with flu, the more room there is for people with covid.

I’m not commenting on the mask part. It goes nowhere so I’ll leave that part out.

blackbay
    mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Terry K wrote:</div>

Not sure if you were aware, but most places are allowing walk-up vaccinations with no appointments necessary. Very very simple and not time consuming task to get the vaccine. I got my 1st shot this last sunday and was in and out in 20 minutes. (You have to wait 15 minutes to see if there is any allergic reaction).

FWIW Terry wrote that a month ago when it was tough to find an appointment.

CaptainMusky

So if we avoided large gatherings of people, avoided close proximity of other people you don’t live with, and washed our hands more, that would mitigate spread of covid while also mitigating spread of influenza, right?

While I do agree that flu vaccine is only 50% effective at best, its still better than 0%. There was a push to get more people vaccinated from flu last fall because the less people who are sick or hospitalized with flu, the more room there is for people with covid.

If this were true then why hasn’t covid been controlled by these same measures? You said it yourself they both spread in similar manners.
    Simple put, like I stated, the typical seasonal flu does not exist in the past year and change in the vast numbers it normally does because of covid.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.