270 Win Copper Bullets

• waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Hi all,

Just wondering on what everyone’s opinion is on copper hunting bullets, more specifically for the 270. I’m currently running Federal Fusion in 150 grains, and while the few bullets I’ve recovered have been in pretty darn good shape, I still seem to find a small chunk of lead here or there while processing. Now with a little one on the way, this is one thing I’ve thought about a little harder in regards to switching to an all copper bullet and eliminating the chance of lead contamination. Has anyone seen any substantially worse performance (first hand) from a copper bullet compared to lead? The ballistics charts I’ve seen look like they have as-good if not better performance than comparable lead bullets in terms of energy retention. I’ve been eyeing up the Federal Trophy Copper and the Nosler E-Series.

Thanks in advance!

404 ERROR
    MN

My brother had borrowed my .270 for a hog hunt this summer in California. With their restrictions, he didn’t have a choice but to buy lead-free ammo. He got a couple boxes of the 130gr Vor-Tx. They shot very well out to 400 yards with minimal adjustments. He gave me the 1.5 remaining boxes when he returned the gun. Interested to try them out for myself this summer.

bendvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

Copper is the only way to go in my opinion. I have been using Barnes Vor-TX bullets for many years. They are devastating and put deer down quickly.

My son uses a Browning AB3 in .270 caliber. He shot this buck on opening day this year and it dropped in his tracks at 160 yards.

Ben

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3767.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Barnes 1000%! I will never use a fragmenting bullet ever again.

Do some searches in the deer hunting forum on here. I have tons of info on how much better the energy transfer is in the wound channel.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Thanks for the info, guys! Looks like I’ll have to pick up a box of Barnes and once the weather warms up see how they group!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I tried for a minute to find an older post I had with pics. Overall my experience is much more increase of damage to the vitals and less flesh wound. I have our vet neighbor xray some meat and it had ZERO fragments in it

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I am planning on making the switch to copper bullets. Anyone have any updated information on the best brand to go with seeing that this is more than 5 years old. Is the Barnes Vor-tx still a good option? I have an Ithica 270 win that I have used 130 grain remington Core-lokt in the past.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Woof, old thread, but I have some pretty good info.

Since I created this thread, I jumped two feet into reloading. My general purpose deer load out of my 270 the past few years has used the 130 TTSX and performance has been perfectly acceptable.

I’ve been experimenting with some other bullets (lead core) but the Barnes don’t really leave you needing anything else, especially in the deer woods. Keep your velocity up over 2k FPS and you’re good to go.

switched to copper 5 or so years ago and love the results. Have used federal and vortx cooper loads for my 270 and both have been excellent

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Looks like the Barnes TTSX are available locally at fleet farm so I will probably go that route. Thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.