2023 Vikings

• CaptainMusky

Sean Payton pretty much said he is done with Russel WIlson so I am sure Denver is in the market for a QB.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I could see the Vikings trading back just a few spots and taking the best defensive option available (DL or CB) in the early teens, then using that acquired currency to get back into the late 1st round and taking whichever top QB prospect is still on the board (McCarthy or Nix)

I like that idea.

The NFC North is going to be a tough division next year. Detroit will be as good of better. Green Bay is REALLY young and came a long way this year and are going to be better. Chicago with the #1 and #9 pick are going to get better as well. The Vikings are in a lot of trouble. Even if they sign both Cousins’s and JJ. If they spend the money that is expected for them, They won’t have much for help at O-line or Def. backs – Both are things this team really needs top have a chance to be better.

While I agree right now at this snapshot in time the North looks tough next year, the NFL stands for Not For Long and a ton will change between now and next season. Bears could trade Fields, and thus continue their rebuild with an unknown commodity at QB. Packers have the youngest roster in the league, which also means no one has gotten paid yet. How are all those WR’s going to operate when some get paid and some get gone? And is Detroit going to revert to the Lions way this postseason or go on a run? And how will they handle either of those, plus Goff is 30 and a serviceable but not great QB. My overall point is things change and questions are answered or spawn additional questions. Shoot a year ago Daniel Jones and the G-Men were throttling the Vikings at US Bank, earned DJones a HUGE payday, and now they are likely cutting bait on him and rebuilding. NFL, Not For Long.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sean Payton pretty much said he is done with Russel WIlson so I am sure Denver is in the market for a QB.

I, in no way, shape or form, want Russell Wilson in purple ever, but I do hope he signs somewhere for the veteran minimum to really put the screws to Payton and the Broncos. Here’s how his remaining money works out, and just a good example of the difference in cash (how most fans look at the cap) and the actual cap accounting:

“The Wilson contract is a good lesson in the different timing impacts of cash versus cap. As I always say, cash is, well, cash: hard, cold money. Cap is not cash; it is accounting, and the cap accounting bill always comes due.

On the cash side, Wilson is owed $39 million in 2024, a true guarantee (not an injury guarantee) with offset language, meaning the Broncos’ financial obligation will be reduced if another team takes on—through trade or signing after release—some of that number. For example, were Wilson to make $14 million next year, the Broncos would be responsible for the other $25 million owed (to a player they no longer want). The Broncos, however, will save at least $100 million in future liability to Wilson by their steadfastness regarding the Deshaun Watson contract. Paying off a year guaranteed is worlds better for them than paying off three-plus years of future guarantees.

On the cap side, there are no good outcomes. A trade or release before June has the same impact: an unparalleled dead-cap charge of more than $80 million, the accumulation of unamortized proration from the staggering contract that Wilson signed 18 months ago. The Broncos can, though, push back much of their cap pain into 2025 by designating Wilson for release after June 1, splitting the cap impact into roughly $35.4 million in dead money in ’24 and an eye-popping $49.6 million in dead money in ’25. He would be the highest cap charge on the Broncos’ roster both in ’24 and ’25, when he will be over a year removed from having any connection to the team.

The cap defers pain, but does not forgive it.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/understanding-russell-wilson-benching-broncos-contract-ultimatum/ar-AA1mpnpl

CaptainMusky

BigWerm, sorta like the cap recapture penalties that the Wild faced if they traded Parise and Suter and they retired early.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The worst thing the Vikings could have done was Win yesterday. Picking 11 they should have plenty of opportunity to take a QB, in a very deep QB draft. I don’t like the idea of selling the farm to move up to get Williams, Maye or Daniels. I’d much rather trade back, or back into the 1st round, for Penix. Sign Kirk for 2-3 years and let the next guy develop. And no chance I am calling the Bears, period, even though they have the most draft capital/opportunity. Here’s the non-playoff team draft order:

1. Chicago Bears (from CAR)

2. Washington Commanders

3. New England Patriots

4. Arizona Cardinals

5. Los Angeles Chargers

6. New York Giants

7. Tennessee Titans

8. Atlanta Falcons

9. Chicago Bears

10. New York Jets

11. Minnesota Vikings

12. Denver Broncos

13. Las Vegas Raiders

14. New Orleans Saints

15. Indianapolis Colts

16. Seattle Seahawks

17. Jacksonville Jaguars

18. Cincinnati Bengals

I think that whoever is picking #1 will definitely be taking a QB whether it’s the Bears or whoever they can find to trade up to that spot. The Commanders are a lock to also take a QB at #2. They tried to bench Howell multiple times but then the backup got hurt and they had to go back to him. The Patriots are such an outlier with draft strategy that it’s hard to know. If Belichick is gone as most assume, I think they will also take a QB at #3. I do not see the Cardinals, Chargers, Giants, Titans, or Jets taking a QB that early. There’s a decent chance that whoever most perceive as the 4th QB on the board would be available at #11. That’s probably Penix? If Jayden Daniels falls he could be there too (probably unlikely though).

I am not a fan of Jayden Daniels’ game translating to the NFL. He’s a slight framed guy that’s a little reckless with his body…and he surely doesn’t have Lamar Jackson type elusiveness. He also holds the ball looking for bomb shots while accustomed to playing with stud WRs at LSU.

I think Penix could be a solid NFL starter, but likely isn’t a top of the league talent. I wouldn’t be mad if my favorite team drafted him though. He’s been competitive everywhere he’s been. At Indiana he single-handedly made a team relevant despite a talent gap.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think that whoever is picking #1 will definitely be taking a QB whether it’s the Bears or whoever they can find to trade up to that spot. The Commanders are a lock to also take a QB at #2.

The Bears and Ryan Poles have put themselves in a great spot overall, but face a huge decision. Trade Fields and take your pick of QB this year? Or trade the #1 overall and build a team around Fields, and hope he figures out how to play QB at the NFL level, specifically reading a defense, and going through progressions?

I have a bunch of buddies that are Commanders fans, and when I ask them what they want to do, the first response was take Drake Maye, Howell’s backup at UNC… rotflol

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

One playoff win for the Cousins era. It’s over. Sad but true. Time to rebuild. No comment on how that gets done. But understand no Cousins, no JJ. I don’t see another Vikes playoff win for years. Hopefully not as bad as a Twins playoff drought!

-J.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

BetOnline, as then reported by SI and a few other outlets have THE Minnesota Vikings as the best odds to land Russell Wilson for next season.

For those who think gambling drives the league, the bread crumbs are there.

“Vikings Country – Let’s Ride!”

peace

CaptainMusky

I would rather cheer for the Packers than have Wilson QB my favorite team. He is trash and is an idiot. “Mr Unlimited”.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I did think of one way I’d be ok with Mr Unlimited, if it’s at the veteran minimum for one year while a rookie sits. But even then I wouldn’t like it. rotflol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I See in recent comments that JJ has sort of backed off saying it had to be cousins throwing to him next year. He still says he’d like it to be Cousin’s, but seemed to say he understands its football and it may be someone else and he seemed to be OK with that. So maybe its not a both of them or neither of them situation. JJ did put up 192 yards and 1 TD with Mullins at QB, so maybe he can be just as successful without cousins at QB

Sharon
    SE Metro

There’s always next year, right! …. right?? rotflol rotflol

Attachments:
    1. thats-all-folks.jpg

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Todays Trivia Question. What QB trails only Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert and kurt Warner for passing yards through first 20 Starts?

Also, now for 34 years straight, at least 4 teams made the playoffs following a year in which they did not make it. Parity is real in the NFL.

If you listen to Dan Patrick you would have heard both of these.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The way I see it the Vikes sign Cousins for 2 more years getting them a couple more shots at the post season and the big game. It also gets them well into JJ’s prime with a good QB along with many other core players that have about 2-5 years left. After that, it’s full rebuild time. 4 out of the top 6 picks are taking a QB in the draft. They will have to move up to get someone worth anything AND do you really trust this crew to draft a good one? I don’t.

First round pick D line. Second round pick D line. Sign to solid veteran CB’s and see where it gets you. I think Kwesi will be out in a year or two anyway so the rebuild can start with a new GM. The contracts he has dished out since he’s been here have hurt the team big time.

stout93
    Becker MN

I would take either Penix or Nix at #11.

If Penix has a good game tonight, which I believe he will, there is a good chance he goes top 10.

Kwesi will get burned if he trades back and expects to get one of these two. Maybe he can do it for JJ McCarthy, but I’m not sold on him.

And I would let Cousins walk and bring in a vet and let Penix or Nix sit for at least a year. Doesn’t make sense to pay Cousins a crap load when he’s not the future and prevents you from starting the full blown rebuild.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The way I see it the Vikings are a long way from a legitimate shot at the title. But with all the money they paid Hockenson and with JJs deal looming they almost have to sign Cousins and try to make it work.

Kinda screwed either way IMO

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Penix ain’t making it to 11. If they can get the defense to be middle tier, I think they would have a good chance to make some noise in the playoffs. Super bowl? Not sure. But the offense could be top 5. Kirk hasn’t had a defense the last 4 seasons either. Points Allowed Rank:

2020: 29th
    2021: 24th
    2022: 30th
    2023: 13th (but bottom five while Kirk was QB)

Just a middle of the road defense and this team would be pretty good.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Penix has a history of injuries. Like 2 ACL repairs. Couple shoulders.
    And he’s already or will be 24.
    He looks good and he’s been healthy this year.

Tough decision just hope Qeasy doesn’t sell the farm to move up too far.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Offensive line men. Draft some linemen. I don’t care who they have for a quarterback, you can’t play if you’re laying on your back. And get somebody on defense that isn’t a 37th round draft pick that never makes the pro bowl. Can the Vikings GM do any of that? I have my doubts.

SR

Ripjiggen

Well Penix didn’t help his draft position tonight.
    Dude will need an ice bath tonight.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I was hoping to see that sharp passing from Penix last night, but he had so little time. I literally flipped it to the game and he threw an ugly pick.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It won’t matter who the qb is if they don’t improve the Oline and the Dline. It’s that simple.

CaptainMusky

Please Please get this guy in purple at all costs!:
    Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama, Jr.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Steve and Mahto said it all. You have a strong offensive line and you don’t need a top tier QB. Daunte Culpepper had a career year in 2004. Next year, Culpepper was a bum. Difference was the O-line. He had all day to throw in 2004.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Penix had a few good & bad moments last night, his age and injury history scares me off….McCarthy looked pretty average imo…

I still think trading back a few spots to gain some pick currency and going with the top defensive player (DL or CB) and then trading back into the late 1st round using that currency to take Bo Nix…He reminds me of a bigger Drew Brees and is more of a pocket passer who still has the legs to get an easy 1st down if given the opportunity. Getting the 1st round 5th year option is key for drafting any young QB as you get him for an extra season at a manageable contract if he shines…

I would even consider Nix at #11 if he shines at the combine and pundits start talking about him going to a team like Denver…He has all the tools, can make all the throws and has a great head on his shoulders…

My only concern taking any QB early is the terrible success rate they typically have in the NFL, we see it year after year where a star college QB turns into a bust in the NFL…i’m also concerned with Qwesi’s decision making, don’t want another wasted Lewis Cine pick…

Ripjiggen

Steve and Mahto said it all. You have a strong offensive line and you don’t need a top tier QB. Daunte Culpepper had a career year in 2004. Next year, Culpepper was a bum. Difference was the O-line. He had all day to throw in 2004.

Not true at all. Yes you need an o-line but QB talent matters. May have helped he some ok receivers to throw to.

I didn’t see anything from the QB’s last night that got me excited.

Like Joe said everyone is touting this as the deepest QB class etc. I am willing to bet no more than 2 become legit starters in the league. Which 2 those are? No idea and either do the experts.

Ripjiggen

Here is one ranking. Not terrible by any means. Can they improve. Well ya I think every team in the NFL tries to do that.

And this another ranking or analysis anyway.

No idea how you truly rank a unit, but it’s not as if the are the worst in the league like some seem to think.

The Vikings flirted with a top-three ranking for most of the season before an injury to right tackle Brian O’Neill bumped them down the list. Still, this is a unit that has played extremely well thanks to the continued development of Christian Darrisaw at left tackle (five sacks and 26 pressures on 560 pass-blocking snaps). Dalton Risner has been solid since signing with the team (0 sacks on 397 pass-blocking snaps). However, he hasn’t been a noticeable upgrade over Ezra Cleveland. Right guard Ed Ingram has provided league-average play at right guard. The problem is Ingram leads the team in pressures surrendered this season (38).

2024 Outlook: The Vikings are poised to return four of their starters in 2024 with Dalton Risner as the only player set to hit free agency. The team will need to do some work filling out the depth chart with six of their backups slated to hit the open market. The Vikings are currently slated for a mid-round draft slot. This makes a player like Washington’s Troy Fautanu intriguing in the first round. The Washington tackle is considered a plug-and-play guard in the NFL. He is very similar to Titans’ rookie Peter Skoronski in 2023.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3058.png

CaptainMusky

Those saying that the Vikings O-line is trash clearly dont know what they are talking about. Before the injuries started mounting they were in the top 5. The main area they struggled was in the running game but that was when they were using Mattison way more and he had glaring issues with finding the holes where Chandler has been a welcomed surprise. We do need depth on the O line for sure.

KP
    Hudson, WI

If any of you are KFAN listeners it would be hilarious for Ben Leber to interview Russel Willson on the sidelines if he became a Viking. Leber for good reason cant stand that guy.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Those saying that the Vikings O-line is trash clearly dont know what they are talking about. Before the injuries started mounting they were in the top 5.

Agreed 100%. They need some depth but they were above average overall, even Bradbury was solid.

Here’s the fun stat of the day, the Vikings were 1-8 in every game that JJ played more than a half. If he were a QB there would be a narrative about that…. rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 1,741 through 1,770 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.