2023 Vikings

• haleysgold
    SE MN

Thielen must be looking to cash in before he calls it quit.
    Do the Panthers even have a legit QB to throw him the ball?
    I can’t see his stats getting much better given their QB situation.
    If the Panthers want to cough up that kind of cash, more power to him.

Would have been great to see him retire a Viking but his story and run with them was pretty darn good.

Dan
    Southeast MN

They don’t have a good QB situation right now but they do have the #1 overall pick after trading with the Bears so that’s where they’ll likely take one.

I think money was a factor as well as not wanting a diminished role. Factoring in Hockenson, Thielen was going to be a WR3 and maybe WR4 if you look at KJ Osborne as ahead of him. He’s made comments about still wanting to show what he had left and really, really stuck to that. Unfortunately I think that’ll probably mean leading bad or developing team in the stat sheet. Harrison Smith took a pay cut to stay here and I wish that’s what we got from Theilen. He’s earned what he’s got coming to him and the money and targets were more important to him than finishing the book on a fully-MN career (high school all the way through pro’s).

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Super happy for Thielen! Selfishly I would have liked to see him finish out his career here, but from undrafted to a 10+ year career, made over $63M from the Vikes, and now another $24M+ over the last 3 years from Carolina should set his family up for generations. At this point in his career money should talk, and I don’t think the Vikings were even in the ballpark on that contract he got. His Carolina Contract is 36th among WR’s which is probably about right.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I see that US Bank stadium only needs 280 million in maintenance after 7 years. Maybe that is where some of the surplus is going.

Thanks for introducing politics into the Vikings thread. What a joy

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>
    I see that US Bank stadium only needs 280 million in maintenance after 7 years. Maybe that is where some of the surplus is going.

He’s not wrong. That stadium has been a money pit.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

the buzz is we are in on a QB this draft. I wouldnt mind Hendon Hooker but i think we could trade back and still get him and pick up more draft picks. I dont want Will Levis

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

the buzz is we are in on a QB this draft. I wouldnt mind Hendon Hooker but i think we could trade back and still get him and pick up more draft picks. I dont want Will Levis

IMO Levis has more of the tools we need. Granted, I never watched either of them play a snap this past season, but Hooker sounds like a one-read QB which gives me some hardcore Kellen Mond vibes.

CaptainMusky

He’s not wrong. That stadium has been a money pit.

Plus the E-tab gambling machines that were created to pay for the stadium have already paid for the entire stadium, but the state has not paid off the stadium yet. Why?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>

The Vikings stadium deal is on a scale similar to the 17+ billion dollar surplus when discussing theft from taxpayers.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

IMO Levis has more of the tools we need. Granted, I never watched either of them play a snap this past season, but Hooker sounds like a one-read QB which gives me some hardcore Kellen Mond vibes.

Are we talking about the same “Will Levis” who went 11/23 for 109 yards and an interception in a losing effort against the powerful Vanderbilt Commodores this November?!?

For those who don’t follow college football…Will Levis struggled against a team that has a collective 7-26 record in the last 3 years.

As a Packers Fan the best case scenario is the Vikings cash in assets and go after Levis.

Sylvanboat

Super happy for Thielen! Selfishly I would have liked to see him finish out his career here, but from undrafted to a 10+ year career, made over $63M from the Vikes, and now another $24M+ over the last 3 years from Carolina should set his family up for generations..

Biden & the Dems will take care of that.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i never watched them play i only “know” what other analysts talk about. According to Chris Simms and others Hooker makes multiple reads and can make every throw on the field. he has the best deep ball in this class and is athletic enough to scramble. Hes seen as more pro ready than Levis and would surely have gone higher than Levis in this draft if not for the fact that he tore his ACL late last season and hes 25 years old.

Additionally, we wouldnt need to secure a top 5-15 pick to acquire Hooker. he will almost certainly be available when we pick at 23 and, in all likelihood, we could trade back to as late as pick 50, pick up additional assets and select Hooker. There would also be no pressure to rush him back form injury as we have cousins

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I like the kid from Stanford, Tanner Mckee. I want my signal caller to be smart.
    Stanford is not going to be confused with an SEC school in that regard.

He had the fastest average release time of any of likely to be drafted qbs at under 2.5 seconds. Stanford isn’t a one-read, spread style offense. He is also 6’6″ and 230# and projected to be available in the second round and maybe the third. He is not overly athletic by NFL standards and likely a dying breed of a pocket style passer, but that’s also why he isn’t going to go early. He has quite a few INTs but also had average to below average weapons he was trying to fit the ball into throughout his career.

I’m in the mindset of spending a Day 2 pick every single year on QB. The position is too crucial to NOT have, and mid to late round picks have produced starting NFL qbs while not being in a cap position to force them to play year 1. Whoever is headed to Carolina near the top of the draft could be in for a rude awakening with no weapons, a mostly new coaching staff, and high expectations to start early and produce results.

MX1825

Hey crappie what about Captain, bucky, & Sylvan?? or do you just pick and choose who you call out???? devil

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Meh, Levis is the most unfinished prospect out of the group, he’s got a huge arm and big hands (a combine favorite), but his completion %, yards per completion and TD/INT ratio do not stack up very well vs the other top QB’s in this draft. Hooker was lighting college FB on fire for most of the season, and will likely be out most of next year with an ACL injury. I’d like picking him up in the 2nd round.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Whoever is headed to Carolina near the top of the draft could be in for a rude awakening with no weapons, a mostly new coaching staff, and high expectations to start early and produce results.

Umm, they did just sign Adam Thielen. I’d call him a weapon.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Meh, we’ll agree to disagree on this one. Hooker had the 17th ranked OL to work with compared to the 85th (or 86th, can’t remember) offensive line at UK. Combine that with young/average weapons and you get Levis’ statlines.

I should say, in NO way do I believe the Vikings should move draft capital to trade up for Levis. I’m saying if he is there at 23 I could see us taking him, but I think that them trading back is by far the most likely option.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    Whoever is headed to Carolina near the top of the draft could be in for a rude awakening with no weapons, a mostly new coaching staff, and high expectations to start early and produce results.

Umm, they did just sign Adam Thielen. I’d call him a weapon.

^Sarcasm noted… I think?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Meh, we’ll agree to disagree on this one. Hooker had the 17th ranked OL to work with compared to the 85th (or 86th, can’t remember) offensive line at UK. Combine that with young/average weapons and you get Levis’ statlines.

I should say, in NO way do I believe the Vikings should move draft capital to trade up for Levis. I’m saying if he is there at 23 I could see us taking him, but I think that them trading back is by far the most likely option.

It’s all a relative crapshoot.

One “trusted” NFL analyst has Levis’s player comparison listed as Jake Locker. Another has him projected in comparison to Jameis Winston. The third one I read has him compared to Josh Allen.

I will go out on a limb at wager nearly any sum of money that he is NOT Josh Allen 2.0

BigWerm
    SW Metro

DJ Chark, Thielen, Hurst at TE and Miles Sanders and Chuba Hubbard in the backfield isn’t too bad. Most top of the draft QB’s start out with a lot less!

Dan
    Southeast MN

I should say, in NO way do I believe the Vikings should move draft capital to trade up for Levis.

I hate to think what it would cost the Vikings to move up. They have such little draft capital this year and they’d likely have to borrow from next year, and they’ve got several big holes to fill. Stroud and Young are not an option, and it’s possible someone like Indy or Tennessee trades up to snag the third QB off the board. That would put the Vikings giving up considerable capital to get maybe the 4th-best QB in the draft. I think things are quietly setting up for somewhat of a rebuild year, so I’d prefer they draft some secondary help in Round 1, suffer through this year, and see what they can do next year.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Agree with you here, and I don’t love any of the QB options this year, including the top ones. If Hooker or Levis make it to the 2nd or 3rd round, I’m ok with taking either one.

haleysgold
    SE MN

They don’t have a 2nd so either they trade down and get a 2nd and another pick or they wait and trade up to get a 2nd round pick.
    Either of those to get a backup QB shouldn’t even be on the plate this year with all the other holes they need to fill.
    Maybe the plan is to tank in 2023 and get a high draft pick in 2024.
    Hmmm, would rather see them tank this year. We’re due.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Hey <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie what about Captain, bucky, & Sylvan?? or do you just pick and choose who you call out???? devil

nobody wants to listen to me once nevermind over and over again jester

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

DJ Chark, Thielen, Hurst at TE and Miles Sanders and Chuba Hubbard in the backfield isn’t too bad. Most top of the draft QB’s start out with a lot less!

Chark caught a whopping x30 passes last year.

Hurst caught 52 passes and 2TDs last year.

Thielen will turn 33 before the season starts and is x5 years removed from a 1000 yard season. This will also be the first year in a new setting for his entire career.

Miles Sanders is coming off of a nice year.

Hubbard is destined to be a career #2 RB.

This isn’t exactly a loaded group. I’d put it closer to the bottom of the league for playmaking talent than the middle or upper echelon.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They don’t have a 2nd so either they trade down and get a 2nd and another pick or they wait and trade up to get a 2nd round pick.

True, but this is why I hate draft speculation as they may wind up with one or 3 2nd rounders, you just never know what they are going to do. Plus it sounds like ZDarius and Dalvin are very possibly going to be traded yet, I doubt they get a 2nd for either but will get more capital that can then turn into a 2nd or whatever.

This isn’t exactly a loaded group. I’d put it closer to the bottom of the league for playmaking talent than the middle or upper echelon.

Agreed, just saying whoever Carolina drafts will have professional accomplished players around him, not nobodies.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

First pick better be the best defensive player available. I would be happy if they used a 3rd or moved up to get the fella out of BYU Jaren Hall. Reminds me some of a similar QB from Wisconsin that slid in the draft because of height concerns.
    Older prospect so he would be mature. Has a good not great arm and can improvise when a play breaks down. college numbers are solid to boot. Sign me up!

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.