2023 deer season

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

picked up my 3A license today along with a bonus tag

I got my zone 2 license and 225 bonus tag last week too. Took the whole week off to hunt next week. Weather looks pretty decent. Chance of rain/snow mix Sunday night into Monday but other wise about 40 degrees every day and no big winds.

The farmer on the land I hunt said he was going to combine the 40 acres of corn yesterday. I wonder if he finished it because we got a good inch of snow last night.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

NA hold the wolf as a special spirit and will not kill one.

Didn’t see this until now. That’s ridiculous. Wolves are a special spirit but walleyes aren’t? I ain’t buying that.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i have to agree with you Gimruis……i’ve heard that more often than i’d like to about the natives and wolves……and the black bear is there brother!! whistling doah i learned that first hand and the hard way!! i was bear baiting one year and unknown to me i set up a bait on land owned by the tribe…… went to check it and i had a nice little note there!!!!1 doah

glenn57
    cold spring mn

a week ago thursday i left to head to my brothers for my first ever Wisconsin deer hunt. he lives a bit south of Wausau near Mosinee. friiday we went and looked around, mainly for me, the place we where hunting, a place called the MEAD!!! its a big huge public wildlife area, i mean huge!!!!

sat morning arrives, we are in the stands. by noon i already was “BUSTED” twice!! doah about 7;30 i had a smaller 6 pter come to my right, within 10 yards…..then we played who’s gonna move first. i did get 2 shots!!! but no dice.

about 11;30 my brother shoots and gets a really nice 11 pter, about the same time off to my left all of a sudden theres about a 10 pter within 15 yards, and yea we played the same game. shot 4 times and no dice!! flame realized somehow my scope is way off

from then on 1 seen 1 deer running like mad on wed, other then that 2 guys seen no deer. bawling we then found a new place to hunt, and ended up with 2 deer. a nice big doe and a ssmaller buck. the horns on that buck got damaged or deformed early in the year.

but good gawd driving out and back i seen more dead deer on 94 and 29 then i think northern minnesota has.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We’re those deer standing still? And you missed multiple times? Something’s gotta be off with your scope for sure.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Glen you sound like the guys who hunt near me. Some times I wonder after the 3rd or 4th shot if they have ever shot the gun before

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea scope was way off. doah not sure how or why. My brother had my mom’s 30-06. The second deer I smoked didn’t go 50 yards

I needed to get new shells anyway. whistling those were getting old.

Anyone know where you can get Remington 30;06 220 grain bullets.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

We’re those deer standing still? And you missed multiple times? Something’s gotta be off with your scope for sure.

no Gim….they were running away from me!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not sure on your gun Glen but both my old remington and mosberg 30.06 shoot 180 grain Cort loks very nicely. It may be worth looking in to, they seem to be available everywhere I have been. Just a different option when you re sight it in

glenn57
    cold spring mn

holy molly rocky, they dont give them away!!!!!

M F

We took 20 off our farm and neighbors farm in 646 during the second season (roughly 500 combined acres). Mostly does, a few fawns, and two bucks, not that we didn’t have opportunities to shoot a few big bucks. 16 guys, with most of them being over 60, only a couple of us were under 40 years old. The other groups that hunt these areas during the first season took around 10.

If this cold weather would have come a week earlier we likely would have been closer to 30 on that first weekend, at least judging by how active the cameras have been for the last few days. We plan to try to take a few more off during the late December season.

Brittman

Do you have your deer tested for CWD ?

M F

we didn’t this year, although I might order some kits from Priogen and test some meat samples. I’m normally the one who facilitates the testing by getting a bunch of the carcass tags before the season, and it completely slipped my mind.

My big issue with the current testing process is that the samples take so long to come back that if one did test positive, it would have already been cut up and mixed in with the rest of the meat. Although by the look of the test results page they were faster this year than most years.

I’ve talked to the DNR multiple times about improving the system. The simple solution is to print a carcass tag with every tag, and when registering the deer it should ask for the location information. That eliminates the issue of handwriting being illegible.

CaptainMusky

Do you have your deer tested for CWD ?

I wouldnt test any deer unless required to. That whole process sucks. Just last year we were supposed to test our deer for the early youth season and there was no check point and no place to drop the animal off and they are NOT to be removed from the zone. Complete joke and what a hassle. Ive had deer tested there in previous years, but there was nothing there this time and I know where it was supposed to be done.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we didnt have our deer tested either.

my brother was actually on TV news out in Wisconsin regarding this. his points where unless the DNR makes the process easier for a hunter to do, meaning not have the hunter be required to do ALL the work/process people arent going to volunteer. some will, most wont.

his other point……unless they can without a doubt give undeniable proof CWD affects humans people wont test. from my point i’d venture to guess unless its one of those rapid tests most venision is processed before test results are back, however i’m not real sure how these tests work…..as i dont care….unless i’m being forced into it!!!! crazy whistling peace

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Not sure on your gun Glen but both my old remington and mosberg 30.06 shoot 180 grain Cort loks very nicely. It may be worth looking in to, they seem to be available everywhere I have been. Just a different option when you re sight it in

BC i use 180 grain to site the rifle in, just use the 220 for actuall hunting.

i asked a guy i know thats an ammo nut if there was a difference when hunting….he said just the weight of the bullet!!!!

CaptainMusky

glenn the only thing about whether or not CWD affects humans or not was there was a report of two brothers from Wisconsin that died after eating meat from an infected deer. I have NO idea whether or not it was because the deer had CWD OR perhaps they had too many barley pops and ate raw meat or who knows? That was many years ago probably close to 20 but I havent heard anything since. I would think that you cook the meat properly it would be fine, but I am certainly not an expert.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

glenn the only thing about whether or not CWD affects humans or not was there was a report of two brothers from Wisconsin that died after eating meat from an infected deer. I have NO idea whether or not it was because the deer had CWD OR perhaps they had too many barley pops and ate raw meat or who knows? That was many years ago probably close to 20 but I havent heard anything since. I would think that you cook the meat properly it would be fine, but I am certainly not an expert.

waytogo waytogo 20 years ago!!!! doah i have a hard time remembering last week. mrgreen

iffin it be an issue nowadays one would think we’d hear about it!!!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There hasn’t been a single documented case of CWD being passed to a person who consumed meat from said deer. CWD only infects certain parts of the animal. Primarily the brain, spinal cord, and lymph nodes. It’s essentially like mad cow disease in deer. In other words, don’t eat the brain, Hannibal Lector.

The issue is spread amongst deer. We rely on deer as a major source of economic revenue, outdoor time, etc and decimation of the deer herd is the worry there. How best to control it is another topic though.

MX1825

i asked a guy i know thats an ammo nut if there was a difference when hunting….he said just the weight of the bullet!!!!
    [/quote]

I’m no expert glenn but I always hunted with the same bullets that the gun was sighted in on. JMO

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m no expert glenn but I always hunted with the same bullets that the gun was sighted in on. JMO
    [/quote]

Me to. Changing grain changes shot placement.
    Dang it Glen, is this why you missed all them shots

glenn57
    cold spring mn

no………i’ve been doing this method for 20 years or more…..and dont ever recall a shot i made over 120 yards…..cause thats about all the further i can see………and missing. i’ll resight my gun in this spring…..i’m betting its the scopes fault. doah

Jimmy Jones

Don’t you send a couple shots down the barrel ahead of the season to be certain things are working right Glenn? That should be a given before any hunt.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Don’t you send a couple shots down the barrel ahead of the season to be certain things are working right Glenn? That should be a given before any hunt.

oh yes i did. and before every season! waytogo and it was dead on. my brother blames it on my use of the sling over my shoulder. claims it gets bumped and banged around alot more than caring it.

i do believe it has some validity!!!! its carried and transported in a hard case also!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.