2023 deer season

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

starting Aug 1 you can start to purchase deer licenses and apply for anterless permits. deadline for the anterless permit is Sept 7th.

in the area my brother hunts………169 only 25 permits are being issued…….he’s in wisc……says he’s duck hunting. he had pretty liberal deer allowances where he lives.

i hunt 197…there issuing 500……but since i had one last year and ate it….my chances dont look good!!!! kid may get one though!!!!!!

the DNR is claiming the low permits are because of the last 2 harsh winters!!! 169 and 197 are right by each other….not sure why the drastic change?????

Jimmy Jones

the DNR is claiming the low permits are because of the last 2 harsh winters!!! 169 and 197 are right by each other….not sure why the drastic change?????

It’s really sad that the gutless wonders can’t factor in the wolf toll on deer.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i agree Jimmy. i’ve never encountered one while hunting but talked to others in the area i hunt that have!!!!! doah

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Legislation passed by the state this past summer does in fact indicate that a limited hunting/trapping season on wolves will occur when they are removed by the feds from the endangered species list. So it’s just a matter of time. But how long is anyone’s guess. They’ve been removed by the feds twice already under the Obama and Trump administrations, only to have a judge reverse course both times.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Legislation passed by the state this past summer does in fact indicate that a limited hunting/trapping season on wolves will occur when they are removed by the feds from the endangered species list. So it’s just a matter of time. But how long is anyone’s guess. They’ve been removed by the feds twice already under the Obama and Trump administrations, only to have a judge reverse course both times.

which only reverts back to the S…S… S method.

Not sure how many times I’ve heard shoot’em in the leg or gut. Personally don’t think I would or could do it

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not sure how many times I’ve heard shoot’em in the leg or gut. Personally don’t think I would or could do it

I would shoot one if I had a tag for one. And realistically the chances of even seeing one is very remote.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea not in the areas I hunt. Maybe never seen one but plenty of sign.

Jimmy Jones

We see them at the cabin, mostly in neighbor’s fields and along gravel roads, but have had them in the cabin yard amazingly close to the cabin itself.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

We see them at the cabin, mostly in neighbor’s fields and along gravel roads, but have had them in the cabin yard amazingly close to the cabin itself.

They don’t have much reason to fear people.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

has anyone went out and got there licenses yet?????? my son works weekends at a liquor/convenience store that sells license.

he told me the regulations are online only this year??????? is what he was told?//

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

has anyone went out and got there licenses yet?????? my son works weekends at a liquor/convenience store that sells license.

he told me the regulations are online only this year??????? is what he was told?//

I bought my archery license already. I guess I didn’t see a hunting booklet, but I also didn’t look for one.

MX1825

My theory is WI and MN DNR want all the wolves they can get. That way the don’t need to print or give out bonus tags. doah

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

My theory is WI and MN DNR want all the wolves they can get. That way the don’t need to print or give out bonus tags. doah

You know I have heard something similar with CWD as well. Using it as an excuse to really reduce the deer population. No clue if its true but an interesting idea to consider.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I always wonder how much insurance companies “donate” to wolf research and lobbying efforts. They seem like an entity that would have something to gain with wolves decreasing a deer herd. Just a theory.

I also fall into the group that thinks wolves on the landscape are cool and roll my eyes at the SSS crowd.

Jimmy Jones

I also fall into the group that thinks wolves on the landscape are cool and roll my eyes at the SSS crowd.

Wolves have a place in the wild….as long as their numbers are kept in check. Minnesota doesn’t need 3000 wolves. Maybe 100 spread across the top 1/3 is a more realistic number.

While I won’t join the ranks of the sss troops, I know that their numbers are growing about as fast as the wolf population. And I can’t blame them. Wolves should be maintained in a way that keeps them in the deep north woods, away from people and livestock at pets. The problem is the green army that thinks they should be able to drive to Duluth, check out Grandma’s Kitchen and then take a drive in the country and listen to the wolves howl at dusk. And do this every weekend. And with the current wolf numbers, they can probably be assured to hear howling every weekend thru the summer from the road. The reality is that if anyone wants to hear a wolf howl they should set their fat city a$$es in a canoe and paddle back into the boundary waters maybe 15 miles. That’s where wolves have a place in Minnesota. Or a zoo.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree Jimmy. I am also in the crowd that thinks they should be managed by each state in a responsible manner that allows them to not only maintain a foothold here, but keeps them in check too. That can be done with a quote-based lottery drawn wolf hunt or trapping season. What Wisconsin did a couple years ago in a February hunt with dogs was not what I call responsible. They put it together very hastily and went way over quota. There’s nothing wrong with having a self-sustaining reproducing population of wolves here. They are a natural apex predator that is healthy for the ecosystem, just as long as they are managed.

Part of the issue at least from a hunting perspective is that the general public sees no value in harvesting them because they aren’t “edible.” They are strictly a trophy hunt. Who cares why we want to hunt them. How many deer hunters are in it for the trophy rather than the meat? Probably a decent amount. And last time I checked we aren’t eating the coyotes, fox, bobcat, or other furbearers either so the argument that you shouldn’t hunt what you aren’t going to eat is bogus.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Glenn the lady brought home paper copies of the hunting regs yesterday so they still have paper booklets

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn the lady brought home paper copies of the hunting regs yesterday so they still have paper booklets

waytogo waytogo waytogo

they always seem to show up later then when you can first buy your license!!!!1

MX1825

gimruis some info for you.

The hunt in Wisconsin did NOT go way over what the DNR recommended. The DNR quota was 200. The total harvested was 219. That is not way over the quota.
    The numbers get turned around by the green tree huggers and the media.
    The quota was 200 with 81 allocated to the Native Americans. NA hold the wolf as a special spirit and will not kill one.
    So when someone or some media claims the ruthless hunters went way over quota they are comparing 219 to 119 not the 200 the WDNR recommended. Also that number was harvested in 3 days!! Doesn’t sound like wolves are in short supply or very reclusive to me.
    Also the latest WISCONSIN Wolf Plan (167 pages) has no population quota for the State. When wolves were initially reintroduced the population goal was to be 350. The current estimated population is between 1000 and 1200. TOOÒOO MANY!!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Season starts tomorrow. Can not wait. I work the morning but will hopefully have a kill before dark. The freezer is empty and waiting for venison

hillhiker
    SE MN

I plan to fish in the morning tomorrow, but I’ll be in the woods somewhere in the afternoon. I can’t wait!

JEREMY
    BP

Im still waiting for some cool weather to finish making my venny from last year. So im sure I will see a bunch of does in the morning since I have no intentions of shooting one yet.

Justin riegel

We have been out of steaks from the two I got last year since late spring. Just some polish left I had made earlier this summer. My trigger finger will be itchy. Will sit the morning for sure and we will see from there.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We have been out of steaks from the two I got last year since late spring. Just some polish left I had made earlier this summer. My trigger finger will be itchy. Will sit the morning for sure and we will see from there.

Dang. We ate our 8 deer and have been out for a couple months. I have a few summer sausages left and that’s about it. It goes fast in my house. But we replace ground beef with ground venison so that makes it go quick.
    I am very ancy to get in the woods though. I can’t wait for tomorrow evening for my first sit of the season.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Im still waiting for some cool weather to finish making my venny from last year. So im sure I will see a bunch of does in the morning since I have no intentions of shooting one yet.

Dang. You wait along time.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll probably get out once or twice this weekend, but in general I like to wait until more leaves are down and the bucks are heating up to hit it heavy. Plus I have a quarter of beef coming soon and not enough freezer space for everything all at once…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good luck gentlemen, I’m off to work bawling
    My buck was on camera at 5am.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Picked me up a couple of these. The MDHA chapters need to push these. There $12.00.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20231030_155849105.jpg

Coletrain27

picked up my 3A license today along with a bonus tag. hunting the youth season with my son has me all fired up now

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

picked up my 3A license today along with a bonus tag. hunting the youth season with my son has me all fired up now

Im kind of sad, I killed my 3 with a bow. The kid killed 1, I’m debating if we even go out. I’ll probably let him go shoot a doe. Or I might spend my time in Wisconsin. I really don’t need any more venison. I’m fully loaded and I just did 60 pounds of summer sausage with gave me 20 3 pound tubes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.